The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Q's: Gear ratio & boost? - Series VI SuperShaker (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=21851)

jayburke 03-11-2018 01:20 PM

Q's: Gear ratio & boost? - Series VI SuperShaker
 
I have the 2008 420s ford racecraft with the added shaker rated at 485 hp I am considering upgrading the rear gear ratio to a 3.73 I am assuming it is currently 3.55 equipped on 5 speed manual transmission also would like to raise the boost has anyone performed this what did you use I don't think I would go above 8 any Ideas please

cgornowich 03-15-2018 12:59 PM

Upgrades
 
I went a little too far with my upgrades: I took my 2008 420S to JDM and had their Stage 3 kit installed and dyno tuned, link here:

http://www.teamjdm.com/2005-2010-sal...-3-kit-by-jdm/

It's awesome! And I like to drive it HARD (some people don't really) and took it to Summit Point four times before I finally threw a couple rods. Here's the link, go the end and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqLYmgMMCc&t=759s

Not JDM's fault, I drove it too hard. So I put in a forged shortblock and I'm in the process of doing some suspension mods. It's a lot of fun. My advice is play it safe if your car is a daily driver or just a street car. But if you want something fun, she can be that too. You just need to have a solid plan for the car when you start. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I can't wait to go back. Now she's got a torque arm, coilovers, T56, and lots more...

OneQwkStang 03-16-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgornowich (Post 145947)
I went a little too far with my upgrades: I took my 2008 420S to JDM and had their Stage 3 kit installed and dyno tuned, link here:

http://www.teamjdm.com/2005-2010-sal...-3-kit-by-jdm/

It's awesome! And I like to drive it HARD (some people don't really) and took it to Summit Point four times before I finally threw a couple rods. Here's the link, go the end and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqLYmgMMCc&t=759s

Not JDM's fault, I drove it too hard. So I put in a forged shortblock and I'm in the process of doing some suspension mods. It's a lot of fun. My advice is play it safe if your car is a daily driver or just a street car. But if you want something fun, she can be that too. You just need to have a solid plan for the car when you start. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I can't wait to go back. Now she's got a torque arm, coilovers, T56, and lots more...

How much boost and rwhp was it making?

jcar302 03-16-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayburke (Post 145924)
I have the 2008 420s ford racecraft with the added shaker rated at 485 hp I am considering upgrading the rear gear ratio to a 3.73 I am assuming it is currently 3.55 equipped on 5 speed manual transmission also would like to raise the boost has anyone performed this what did you use I don't think I would go above 8 any Ideas please

Generally speaking changing one size in gears isn't worth it for anyone that doesn't consistently race the car.

cgornowich 03-19-2018 06:28 AM

Dyno sheet
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here's the dyno sheet from JDM before I threw some rods. They did this one on the dyno. I have a canned tuned from the them now for the new motor, looking to back in the spring.

Some people may not be a fan of changing rear gears, I think it's important that the gears match the other components in the car. I my case I swapped in a T56 Magnum with a lightened flywheel. Even with the wider ratio gear set, I needed 3.73's to get her moving gracefully.

Lots of fun modding these cars and lots to learn. Enjoy...

OneQwkStang 03-22-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgornowich (Post 145972)
Here's the dyno sheet from JDM before I threw some rods. They did this one on the dyno. I have a canned tuned from the them now for the new motor, looking to back in the spring.

Some people may not be a fan of changing rear gears, I think it's important that the gears match the other components in the car. I my case I swapped in a T56 Magnum with a lightened flywheel. Even with the wider ratio gear set, I needed 3.73's to get her moving gracefully.

Lots of fun modding these cars and lots to learn. Enjoy...

Looks lean on that dyno sheet.:confused:

cgornowich 03-23-2018 08:33 AM

Lean?
 
The way Jim at JDM explained it to me was that 11.0:1 was the goal, and a few tenths over was fine. Too close to 10.5 is a little rich and above 11.5 is a little lean, which means hotter and heat is enemy of blowers.

She has great throttle response and ran fine until a few rods just got tired and quit. My bad for running so much boost on a stock bottom end. It's probably not too bad on the street, but at the track (HPDE, not real wheel to wheel) where one just hammers it for 10 minutes at a time it really shows the weak points...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.