The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2007-2008 S331 Sportruck (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   JDM Engineering Saleen truck and Upgrade kit info!! (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=4126)

Light02atl 12-09-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentguy (Post 12244)
well, when I talked to him a week ago he said his 1200$ kit would include the brisk plugs that is what I was told. ya may want to call him and ask.

I gotcha dentguy. Last time I spoke with him, he was increasing the price from $1000 to $1200 in mid December, no talk of including Brisk plugs being included. This must be something he just decided. I wonder if there will be another price hike in mid-december? How hard was it to install the brisk plugs?

and.....thanks for sharing the info!

dentguy 12-09-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light02atl (Post 12246)
I gotcha dentguy. Last time I spoke with him, he was increasing the price from $1000 to $1200 in mid December, no talk of including Brisk plugs being included. This must be something he just decided. I wonder if there will be another price hike in mid-december? How hard was it to install the brisk plugs?

and.....thanks for sharing the info!

not hard at all. apparently saleen replaced the plugs w/ht0 and used the nickle coating on them. however the pass side ticking noise that sounded awful that the dealer said was a normal sound was the plug it was loose and I think that was the full boost missing problem I was having. that thin electrode wire was missing, it was there on the other plugs, it ran great on normal acceleration, only in wot would it miss. I may have misunderstood on witch plug it was, but he did say it would include the plugs and we were talking about brisk plugs

haulin S331 12-09-2008 05:36 PM

Upgrade

Well thanks for relay location, Guess I will have to look again.

burnouts331 12-09-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light02atl (Post 12240)
Saleen's simple solution is to just "put a mechanical fan on it" rather than upgrade the relays.

You can buy upgraded relays that fix this problem....if you still have the stock Saleen electric fans. I will say that a GOOD relay for this kit is $200-$300 by itself.

I think Saleen should replace the relays instead of replacing with the mechanical fans. Everyone that bought one of these trucks did so because of their looks and performance. So therefore no one looks forward to losing 10-15hp in performance which is what happens when you replace the electric fans with the mechanical ones. Sure you can upgrade it yourself but why do so when you paid top dollar for a truck that had defective relays when you bought it. Saleen should bite the bullet and lose the two to three hundred dollars that it would cost to replace rather than leaving a bad taste in all of their customers' mouths. I personally don't think that kind of business will help boost future sells. I am looking to replace the relays myself rather than swapping in the electric fans for mechanical ones but I would hope Saleen would step up before I do and do it themselves. I can't wait forever though. I don't won't my Saleen sitting on the side of the interstate smoking just because I didn't replace them in time.

So Light02alt where do you suppose we could get a good relay kit for these trucks for the price you mentioned. I just can't stand the feeling of loosing any hp in these trucks. I also love the sound. The truck just wouldn't be the same without it.

burnouts331 12-09-2008 11:47 PM

I love that the JDM kit dropped $300. However, I still belive that is priced a little high when there is another kit on the market that can provide the same performance with a price that is set $400 cheaper. It sounds like it is still not 100% known whether or not the spark plugs are included in the troyer kit. If they are that is awesome! I also belive the jdm kit looks better but that is a personal opinion and shouldn't not have too much of an influence on price. When I put the kit in my truck I am not gonna be doing burnouts or going down the drag strip with my hood open. The only time I plan on opening my hood is when I go to get my truck serviced, which the kit will then be replaced with the stock setup since it will void the warranty. I hope JDM can consider another price drop to make it a little cheaper, espically if the troyer kit contains the spark plugs. I wouldn't mind paying around one to two hundred more dollars for their kit since it looks better and their reputation supercedes them but $400 is still a little much.

Richard_P_Harvey 12-10-2008 08:25 AM

Hey burnouts331 - Just poking a little fun at ya here - Your username is "burnouts331" but you don't do them, what gives..... :-)

I agree with what you said, JimIII needs to take another look at pricing.

Light02atl 12-10-2008 08:34 AM

Saleen says they only lost 2hp by swapping to a mechanical fan. Maybe thats true, maybe its not. Its strange that vendors boast 10-15hp increase and better mpg, but when Saleen does it, its only 2hp.

Burnouts331....you mention hurting future sales of Saleen. Sales are already hurting and many think that Saleen is...well...done.

You can get the relays from Troyer. I talked to Mike, in length, about them. I believe one sells for $300, and the other sells for $400. I might be wrong though. His 16" fan kit runs $429. Mike is at PRI this week, but someone at his shop should be able to get you what you need.

Wouldnt this be a funny scenario...your SC stops working because it is seized up. You take it in for service. Saleen says, yeah, we have been having problems with them. They take it off and replace it with an NA setup.....even though you paid for a SC. (kind of exaggerated scenario regarding fans)

The above statement is just hypothetical, it has not happend, but it gets the point across.

burnouts331 12-10-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey (Post 12316)
Hey burnouts331 - Just poking a little fun at ya here - Your username is "burnouts331" but you don't do them, what gives..... :-)

I agree with what you said, JimIII needs to take another look at pricing.

I was trying to say that I don't do burnouts with my "hood open" (as far as showing off the stage 1 kit goes).

Dave 12-10-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnouts331 (Post 12369)
I can't really quote what I said because my post has been removed. I don't really know why they did that, I didn't bash anyone and it was my personal opinion that I felt needed to be expressed.

No posts were removed from this thread.

JimIII@JDM 12-15-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnouts331 (Post 12293)
I love that the JDM kit dropped $300. However, I still belive that is priced a little high when there is another kit on the market that can provide the same performance with a price that is set $400 cheaper. It sounds like it is still not 100% known whether or not the spark plugs are included in the troyer kit. If they are that is awesome! I also belive the jdm kit looks better but that is a personal opinion and shouldn't not have too much of an influence on price. When I put the kit in my truck I am not gonna be doing burnouts or going down the drag strip with my hood open. The only time I plan on opening my hood is when I go to get my truck serviced, which the kit will then be replaced with the stock setup since it will void the warranty. I hope JDM can consider another price drop to make it a little cheaper, espically if the troyer kit contains the spark plugs. I wouldn't mind paying around one to two hundred more dollars for their kit since it looks better and their reputation supercedes them but $400 is still a little much.

I understand where your coming from with the pricing, it isnt a cheap kit. But what you have to understand is we have a ton of cost and overhead into the kit. The price drop i was able to get is cutting down our profit margin to almost nothing. I will see if there is anyway i can get plugs included in the kit. Im not a fan of brisk plugs at all and will not sell them with our kit. I will only use autolite HTO's gapped at .030". I know they work great simply becasue there has only been 2 sets in our truck with over 60 K miles on them! the first set remained ungapped for about 20000 miles. Then we changed to a set gapped at .030" for nearly 40K miles now and have never had a single issue. That is with 13 psi boost, racing, race fuel, towing, and every day driving.

Please dont compare our kits on price the troyer kit does have a cheaper air intake setup making the price easier to work with. Ours is much more expensive and will handle over 500 RWHP!

JimIII

Light02atl 12-15-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM (Post 12538)
I understand where your coming from with the pricing, it isnt a cheap kit. But what you have to understand is we have a ton of cost and overhead into the kit. The price drop i was able to get is cutting down our profit margin to almost nothing. I will see if there is anyway i can get plugs included in the kit. Im not a fan of brisk plugs at all and will not sell them with our kit. I will only use autolite HTO's gapped at .030". I know they work great simply becasue there has only been 2 sets in our truck with over 60 K miles on them! the first set remained ungapped for about 20000 miles. Then we changed to a set gapped at .030" for nearly 40K miles now and have never had a single issue. That is with 13 psi boost, racing, race fuel, towing, and every day driving.

Please dont compare our kits on price the troyer kit does have a cheaper air intake setup making the price easier to work with. Ours is much more expensive and will handle over 500 RWHP!

JimIII

Understood and well said Jim. Have you had bad experiences with the Brisk plugs or do you just prefer the ones you are using because they are tried and true?

When is your beast going to make 500rwhp?! Thats what I want to see! I think that it is feasible with your kit and a stage II cam swap. Do you think the internals on these stock 3 valve engines will hold up to that kind of punishment (500rwhp) ? I am nominating you to be the one to see what what HP level these engines go boom.... :biggrin:

JimIII@JDM 01-10-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantisgt (Post 12165)
Jim 111

Thanks for taking the time to leave this post, personnaly I'm glad you did as I was just about to purchase the troyer kit as I couldn't justify the extra $800 for your kit over the troyer one. I agree your kit looks better and has a more quality look to it (just not $800) I await with interest your note regarding a reprice before I go ahead.

Ian (UK S331 07-222)

Thanks Ian and im glad you contacted me on our special group buy, ill contact you as soon as we are ready with 5 buyers!

1966-Galaxie 01-15-2009 02:35 AM

As of Monday, Jim says he has three of us interested in his group buy ... we only need two more and we could get his kit for $1,399 ... is there anyone else out there interested?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

331Dave325 02-20-2009 12:02 PM

Group Buy

Just got off the phone with JDM. I was told I am the third person interested in the group buy. Two more are still needed.

JimIII@JDM 02-23-2009 09:25 AM

THE GROUP BUY PRICE IS $1399 and that's if we have 5 buyers, i have 3 customers ready!

Light02atl 02-24-2009 12:34 PM

Jim,

Are there any fuel issues with the 3" pulley?

I read on F150online about the dual fuel pump setup and you all modifying a GT500 setup. At what level must that and injectors be done?

Richard_P_Harvey 02-24-2009 01:29 PM

I have the 3" pulley and have not had any issues with fuel at all. From what I have heard from Mike Troyer it's not until you cross the 600hp mark that the stock fuel pump and injectors are not able to keep up.

JimIII@JDM 02-24-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey (Post 15142)
I have the 3" pulley and have not had any issues with fuel at all. From what I have heard from Mike Troyer it's not until you cross the 600hp mark that the stock fuel pump and injectors are not able to keep up.

I hope he meant at 600 HP to the engine because with our S331 we maxxed the fuel pump at 450 RWHP and the injectors at 480...we have made 491 on them:biggrin: but i dont suggest stressing it that much unless you plan for a motor.

JimIII

Light02atl 02-24-2009 01:48 PM

so....3" pulley and a 110.5" belt then?

Gates K061105

JimIII@JDM 02-24-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light02atl (Post 15144)
so....3" pulley and a 110.5" belt then?

Gates K061105

Yup:biggrin:

wcdean 03-01-2009 07:15 PM

I am definitely interested in upgrading my performance, however I am having a hard time deciding between JDM or TP. If you go strictly on reputation in the industry, then of course JDM wins. That being said, the level of both attention and information that I received from Mike whenever I inquired about his setup left me speechless; top notch to say the least. To be perfectly honest, I have had issues even getting responses from JDM on more than one occasion regarding part inquiries for these trucks. Additionally, when it comes down to it if both kits are making the same gains and neither offers any warranty coverage, why shouldn't I base my decision on price? Because one is prettier???

I also find it odd that JDM's kit would come with a Roush intake? If I wanted a Roush intake I would have purchased a Roush truck. It doesn't take $400 worth of R&D to bolt-on a part that someone else manufactured.

All quibbling aside, these kits seems to be nearly identical and everyone except for Mike and JimIII is willing to make that point. That being said, I have now seen a photo of the JDM kit, does anyone have a pic of the TP kit?

Light02atl 03-01-2009 07:32 PM

WC,

There is a picture of the Troyer kit installed at NHTOC.com...in the 2006-2008 forum. I will try to get a picture of mine tomorrow....weather premitting.

You are correct that both kits are putting up the same numbers. They do look different. The Troyer kit is a no frills, CAI with a polished stainless steel tube. The JDM kit does, indeed look more stock. It boils down to what you want your underside to look like and the level of effort you are willing to exert to install.

THe TP kit is $1200 now (If I am not mistaken). The JDM kit group buy is $1399. THe JDM kit does come with a new belt and more "parts." THe TP kit now comes with plugs....or thats what I am told.

The troyer kit does leave the "ears" where the stock air box bolts exposed. This does look a little strange, but it is an easy fix (will post pics if I get parts this week).

mantisgt 03-02-2009 04:24 AM

Hi folks, I'm afriad I no longer need the JDM kit as I have sold my truck, with me out Jim is now down to 2 people..... sorry I had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Ian

wcdean 03-06-2009 07:49 PM

I guess that it doesn't matter if either kit voids the warranty seeing as all Saleen owners now have no warranty...

Can someone confirm the JDM group buy price? The SOEC email quotes it as being $1299.

1966-Galaxie 06-09-2009 01:29 AM

Finally got my Stage 1 kit from JDM and have it installed. Wow, what a difference !! The stumbling and hesitation at cold is GONE and when you hit the throttle, you can actually hear the supercharger and the performance is a big improvement !!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I am into having a car or truck as stock as possible, so to really make the engine compartment look "stock" I have had a new aluminum nameplate made to replace the one JDM supplies ... not that I wouldn’t be happy to let anyone know the kit is from JDM, but I could not resist making the engine compartment look stock. I modeled the nameplate after the one on my '03 Harley F150. Have included some photos below showing the install and the replacement vs. JDM name plate. I have a few additional nameplates I am planning to put up on eBay, so stay tuned if you are interested.<o:p></o:p>
I know there have been a lot of posts based on the pros and cons for the JDM and Troyer kits, but my experience with JDM pre and post sale have been very positive. I’m sure the Troyer kit is great as well, just wanted that stock look.

Here are some pictres of the install ... the last photo is of the nameplate JDM delivers with the kit ... the first three are with my modified nameplate.

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images..._Wide_View.jpg<o:p></o:p>

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images/S3331_Overall.jpg

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images/S331_Nameplate.jpg

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images..._Nameplate.jpg

JimIII@JDM 06-09-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966-Galaxie (Post 19673)
Finally got my Stage 1 kit from JDM and have it installed. Wow, what a difference !! The stumbling and hesitation at cold is GONE and when you hit the throttle, you can actually hear the supercharger and the performance is a big improvement !!<o:p></o:p>
I am into having a car or truck as stock as possible, so to really make the engine compartment look "stock" I have had a new aluminum nameplate made to replace the one JDM supplies ... not that I wouldn’t be happy to let anyone know the kit is from JDM, but I could not resist making the engine compartment look stock. I modeled the nameplate after the one on my '03 Harley F150. Have included some photos below showing the install and the replacement vs. JDM name plate. I have a few additional nameplates I am planning to put up on eBay, so stay tuned if you are interested.<o:p></o:p>
I know there have been a lot of posts based on the pros and cons for the JDM and Troyer kits, but my experience with JDM pre and post sale have been very positive. I’m sure the Troyer kit is great as well, just wanted that stock look.

Here are some pictres of the install ... the last photo is of the nameplate JDM delivers with the kit ... the first three are with my modified nameplate.

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images..._Wide_View.jpg<o:p></o:p>

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images/S3331_Overall.jpg

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images/S331_Nameplate.jpg

http://0025b4d.netsolhost.com/images..._Nameplate.jpg

That sticker looks really good in place there actually! I understand about wanting to keep a stock look and that is certainly what this kit provides along with some good power too! Glad to hear your enjoying the new setup and let me know if there is anything we can do further!

JimIII

Saleen190 06-09-2009 10:12 PM

man, that sticker looks awesome!.....question, would you be intersted in making those to sale to us forum guys? Those would look GREAT to use to cover those ugly a$$ seatbelt and warning stickers on our sun visors in the cab. My lightning had a similair sticker to that with the trucks build number made specifically to cover those but the company that mad ethem has dissappered sometime in the last 5 years. I would DEFINATELY be in to buy some and I am sure others would be as well!!!! Shoot me a pm if your intersted, I'll make it worth your while $$$

Rogun 07-07-2009 07:51 PM

I ordered my Stage 1 kit from JDM just recently. Haven't been able to install it though. :/ 2 days before the kit arrived a deer ran out in front of me and smashed up my front end. Now I have to wait for the repairs which could take god knows how long! The suspense is killing me.

SaleenKS 08-04-2009 04:37 PM

Where did you get body part?? I got backed into in the driver side rear corner and the dealership cant find parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogun (Post 20634)
I ordered my Stage 1 kit from JDM just recently. Haven't been able to install it though. :/ 2 days before the kit arrived a deer ran out in front of me and smashed up my front end. Now I have to wait for the repairs which could take god knows how long! The suspense is killing me.

Jim D. 08-04-2009 04:55 PM

If you haven't tried 800-888-8945 for your parts, that's a good place to start.

Also, Saleen Speedlab (saleencars84) on ebay also has parts, as does Found-A-Deal (horsepower1).

Some parts were liquidated in last summer's auctions, so they turn up from other sellers or on Craig's list.

SaleenKS 08-04-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks Jim!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 22318)
If you haven't tried 800-888-8945 for your parts, that's a good place to start.

Also, Saleen Speedlab (saleencars84) on ebay also has parts, as does Found-A-Deal (horsepower1).

Some parts were liquidated in last summer's auctions, so they turn up from other sellers or on Craig's list.

Kathoga 09-09-2009 01:06 PM

Well.... I am happy to say that yesterday I called JimIII@JDM and placed my order for my S331 SC JDM kit :biggrin:. I had previously only purchased the tuner upgrade which fixed the stumble and SC pulsing.
I Can't wait for the kit to arrive!. Thanks Jim for putting together the special package for me since I already had the tuner.
Autolite HTO's “.030”
New Custom JDM tune
3.20” supercharger pulley (8-9 psi)
Gates Belt
Air intake box
Air inlet tube
Inlet elbow
Power steering reservoir relocation bracket
Intercooler reservoir relocation bracket
Coolant hose and fitting
DVD instructions

marksieben 10-27-2009 05:34 PM

07/08 Saleen f150 (325 HRP Motor)

Hello, I'm new to the forum, looking for a 200/08 Saleen F150 truck with the smaller 325 HRP motor, not the 450 one? Prefer red paint. I appreciate you passing on the word, thxs. mark@agsieben.com

JimIII@JDM 10-28-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksieben (Post 27268)
Hello, I'm new to the forum, looking for a 200/08 Saleen F150 truck with the smaller 325 HRP motor, not the 450 one? Prefer red paint. I appreciate you passing on the word, thxs. mark@agsieben.com

I just sent you an email from tech@teamjdm.com I happen to know of a Red Supercharged 450 truck for sale near me.

JimIII

Light02atl 10-28-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksieben (Post 27268)

Good luck sir. Of the 396 made, I think only around 100 +/- were NA....and very few were red. Keep an eye on Ebay.

Saleen190 11-07-2009 09:07 PM

check your email boss

marksieben 11-09-2009 11:11 AM

f150 325 HRP, not 450 one

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM (Post 27313)
I just sent you an email from tech@teamjdm.com I happen to know of a Red Supercharged 450 truck for sale near me.

JimIII

Thxs. Jim, but I'm in the market for the 325 HRP motor, not the 450 one. I appreciate your efforts, you are a good man!

marksieben 11-09-2009 11:13 AM

Thank you, I got your email, but I'm looking for a 325 HRP motor, not the 450 HRP. I appreciate your help and time.

marksieben 11-09-2009 11:16 AM

Is that 100 made in 2007 and 2008, or 100 total in both years? 2 sold for $28k this summer with less than 5k miles. Both were red, 325 HRP on eBay. Another one went for $29k, gray with 325 HRP motor but didn't meet reserve. Guy wanted $32k for 14 miles on the odometer.

My feeling is this, low production, outstanding appearance makes this a strong buy at $28k with low miles.

2007SaleenS331 11-09-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksieben (Post 28015)
Is that 100 made in 2007 and 2008, or 100 total in both years?

101 (NA) and 295 (SC) for 2007. The last count on the 2008 that I know about was 39 total.