The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   How often do you wax? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=10703)

OneQwkStang 07-09-2011 10:27 PM

How often do you wax?

How often do you wax your stang?

ex-lawnman 07-10-2011 01:17 PM

I use a polish { zaino} , but I put 1-2 coats on it a week average during summer .
I enjoy polishing my car , it is almost therapeutic .

OneQwkStang 07-10-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-lawnman (Post 62076)
I use a polish { zaino} , but I put 1-2 coats on it a week average during summer .

1 or two coats a week, bird **** must roll off that thing.

NeoS281 07-10-2011 04:44 PM

I usually do mine once a month. I use Eagle One Nano-Wax but may be switching to a new product soon. Any recommendations?

1hot281 07-10-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-lawnman (Post 62076)

Zaino may refer to their product as a "polish" but it's more akin to a synthetic polymer sealant. a "polish" by most detailing product companies definition is a prep product designed to remove micro-abrasions and marring caused during compounding and scratch/swirl removal. Usual a polish is the final step to bring out clarity and get the color to pop, and "jewel" the finish before application of the paint protection product like a polymer sealant or carnauba wax.

a clear example of the steps involved with a polish would be Meguiar's Ultimate line... in which you would use Ultimate compound to buff aways scratches and swirls, then Ultimate Polish to remove any fine swirl damage Ultimate Compound may have left behind as well as bring out the high gloss, depth of color and clarity of the paint, then Ultimate Wax (which is a synthetic polymer sealant) to add gloss, seal and protect the paint...

As for the OP's original question: i usually wax as often as needed. Most high quality waxes and sealants can last weeks with proper maintenance.

You want to avoid over application as some products have trouble bonding to itself versus bonding directly to clean paint. Also, some products have mild "cleansers" designed to clean the paint off during application, but if you're attempting to "layer" or keep applying, you're really just removing the layer you added previously in the process.

The most important steps to having great looking and well protected paint are the good prep (claying, compound, and polishing well) and understanding how you're chosen protectant works best. If it can be layered, curing time, hazing time, etc etc...

Too many layers of any product will also begin to have negative effects on clarity and depth of color.

I'd say, prep, and wax your car with your wax or sealant of choice, every couple days use a quick detailer if it isn't too dirty already. Wash once a week with a gentle soap, preferably one infused with wax or sealant (whichever you've chosen to use on your paint) and after drying (or during drying if the product deems safe) use a spray wax or spray sealant to add to you original protectant and replenish what has been lost over time

With those steps, using products based around a synthetic polymer sealant as the LSP protectant, i was able to go about 4 months between full on details and waxing, and pretty much the entire time, the car looked fresh waxed.

I've since switched to a carnauba wax as my protectant and find myself in need of reapplication far sooner. Even with proper maintenance i would need to clean the paint and reapply about once every 6 to 8 weeks.

ExtrmStang#67 07-11-2011 02:32 AM

I only drive about 2000 miles a year and wax at the beginning of summer. Being In the northwest generates a lot of garage time.

wiggywigton 07-12-2011 07:34 AM

I really wax the car about once every 6 months. Of course that was back in Germany (once in spring after a long winters nap and once before it is put down for winter). That being said, I always strip and wax before a car show. I was it once a week and use Mothers Shoshone between washes.
2 weeks ago was the first time I have claybar'd. Jim recommended it to me and I was really impressed with the outcome.

ex-lawnman 07-12-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneQwkStang (Post 62080)
1 or two coats a week, bird **** must roll off that thing.

it does , and so does water.
I wash it once a week and think that my washing process removes %50 percent of a coat of polish.
Would really like to know for sure.
I know I am on the verge of over applying the polish , but can't help myself. :eek:

jim293 09-24-2012 06:39 PM

I do mine like twice a year. Mine sits in the garage most of the time so it does not see to much of that road grime out there.

SCMcQueen 09-25-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtrmStang#67 (Post 62143)
I only drive about 2000 miles a year and wax at the beginning of summer. Being In the northwest generates a lot of garage time.

I also only drive my Saleen an average of 2,300 miles per year in the 5 years I have owned her. I wax it in the spring and fall. Keeping it covered and garaged in between. I did use Mothers clay bar on the third year. Really deepened the shine and smoothed out the clear coat.