The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2005-2009 Saleen Mustang (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Photos: Saleen 6.5 Supercharger (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=22521)

Aussie-Parnelli 07-30-2019 02:12 AM

Photos: Saleen 6.5 Supercharger

4 Attachment(s)
Not sure how many of these were ever made in 2009 but has taken me a long time to finally collect all the pieces for a complete kit that I will fit to my Extreme
The main housing is in 2 pieces with a rubber O ring type seal and 8 bolts holding it together.
The top intake is also in 2 pieces the lower plate is the same as a Super Shaker whilst the top is more stream line and has the front center bolt deleted.
The crossover water pipe now has the thermostat in the correct location.

Dave 08-02-2019 11:07 AM

Did Power-Tech build those?

R6GAZ 08-02-2019 03:26 PM

Is that the one up from the series VI?

Aussie-Parnelli 08-02-2019 07:42 PM

Dave I am not sure, I originally bought the lids and crossover pipes from Saleen in Troy a long time ago and have been running them on my cars. A year or so ago I bought the new main housings which needed some final machine work. I think Saleen in Troy assembled the units. Possibly only a handful were ever finished. Would be interesting to find out if they were fitted to the 2010-2014 cars built in Troy

Dave 08-02-2019 08:59 PM

Power-Tech was part of the "family of companies" when MJA created the umbrella. I believe they sold the umbrella to Revstone. Then Mike S. bought back one of the companies when Revstone had their troubles. I don't recall which company was doing superchargers.

When MJA/Power-Tech (?) made the announcement of their Series 6.5, they spoke of making their own screws. By this time, Vortech had Lycholm in the US. I can recall Vortech executives being interested in what MJA/Power-Tech were going to mill for screw designs. Since it appeared MJA/Power-Tech were not using Lycholm screws. If the designs were Lycholm copies, that was to be challenged.

I thought at one point there was a plan to make the Series 6.5 a modular supercharger unit. My memory could be wrong. To possibly make one unit fit multiple engine families. Could be mistaken.

I don't believe there were any "factory" 2010 435S or S281 Mustangs that ran the Series 6.5 lid. Those cars that had the new lid, were retrofitted.

What a great question is... did any of the 2010 Mustangs run the 6.5 case with the 2005-09 intake? Or were all the 2010 Mustangs running leftover Series VI units?

Also, do you recall word on how the 2010 "PowerFlow" hood was to be functional? I thought I could remember there was an idea to make a plenum that would seal against the hood to create a ram air effect. Like a SuperShaker, but without a hole in the hood.

Much like the SuperShaker, it had issues with being passed as an compliant item. Something about air intakes or canisters. Or am I mis-remembering?

Aussie-Parnelli 08-04-2019 03:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally assembled 6.5 Supercharger, several modifications 60mm Ford throttle body, Drake fuel rails and JDM 2.9 8 rib pulley.
To fit throttle body same as series 6 you have to elongate mounting 4 bolt holes slightly and slightly port the housing so larger butterflies don't touch.
It is almost impossible to tell the difference between the series 6 and series 6.5 housings except for 4 extra bolts 2 front 2 rear as in photos.

lenko 10-22-2019 05:36 PM

Sure glad I didn't win Ebay on this housing in that last minute as I would have been perplexed and stymied by the smaller rear bearing pockets - "Whew!" - as I wipe my forehead.
Glad you made it work.