The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Help: Stains removal for silver powdercoat wheels? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=20347)

tfalk 03-14-2016 09:58 AM

Help: Stains removal for silver powdercoat wheels?

Anyone have a good way to remove stains from silver powdercoated wheels? Trying to clean up my 99 a bit, the front wheels have a lot of stains that I can't seem to remove. The stains are black so I'm ASSuming they are from brake dust.

Jim D. 03-14-2016 02:03 PM

If you have photos, that could be helpful, but often paint polishes work -- such as Mothers California Gold Scratch Remover, which works great on wheel coatings.

Brake dust can often eat into wheel coatings, and it takes a polish to remove them.

Wax frequently with something like our California Gold Synthetic Wax, and/or California Gold Spray Wax.

Thank you for using Mothers!

Sincerely,

Jim
aka jimd@mothers

1989_402 03-26-2016 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had great results with using mothers mag and aluminium polish on powder coated and painted surfaces of wheels even though its for aluminuim/metal surfaces it gets the stubborn stain residue left behind from washing/regular cleaning and then follow up with good automotive wax mothers/meguiars followed with a scratch remover...and it will look showroom new

tfalk 03-28-2016 09:58 AM

Thanks guys... ended up buying a 3 inch orbital and got most of the crap off with machine polish. Is buying a 3 inch orbital just for your wheels considered and extravagance or a necessity? :)

Jim D. 03-28-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1989_402 (Post 138463)
I have had great results with using mothers mag and aluminium polish on powder coated and painted surfaces of wheels even though its for aluminuim/metal surfaces it gets the stubborn stain residue left behind from washing/regular cleaning and then follow up with good automotive wax mothers/meguiars followed with a scratch remover...and it will look showroom new

Glad that worked for you! :)

The Mag & Aluminum Polish is basically acting as a rubbing compound -- a little bit may be okay, but too much can remove the clearcoat.

But sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

A paint-specific rubbing compound would be a better choice.

Waxing afterwards is recommended.

Jim D. 03-28-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfalk (Post 138488)
Thanks guys... ended up buying a 3 inch orbital and got most of the crap off with machine polish. Is buying a 3 inch orbital just for your wheels considered and extravagance or a necessity? :)

Necessity -- I'm surprised you didn't have one already! LOL! :smile:

tfalk 03-31-2016 10:22 AM

LOL... Figured it was a good investment with the amount of dust coming off the 14 inch stoptech's on the killer rabbit :biggrin:

WILWAXU 03-31-2016 01:42 PM

I've had luck using a clay bar.