The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2007-2008 S331 Sportruck (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Help please: Is this an authentic Saleen emblem? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=19559)

metalocity 08-04-2015 02:45 PM

Help please: Is this an authentic Saleen emblem?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Saleen Forums! My name is Brandon, nice to meet you all. I've been browsing this forum anonymously since I got my 2007 Harley Davidson Edition w/ Saleen Supercharger back in 2012. I love you guys.

So, here's the deal. I bought a Saleen steering wheel badge on eBay and I'm pretty sure it's fake. I'm attaching pics so you all can see.

Can one of you please take some good close-ups of your steering wheels so I can compare?

Here is the eBay listing this guy is running: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-SA...33b203&vxp=mtr

The small pic he uses is deceptive as well, as it looks like an official badge. But you can look at the pics of what I received when I ordered one.

I'm about 2 hours away from Corona, but I can drive to Saleen and ask them in person if that's a good idea.

Honestly, I don't care about $30 or whatever, just want a real Saleen badge and to know for sure if this guy is a scammer or what.

Dave 08-04-2015 05:03 PM

Fake emblem. Ask for your money back and report the seller to eBay.

Dutch-Twister 08-05-2015 04:50 PM

I've bought several times from the same seller, without a problem.
Why not contact the seller first ?

metalocity 08-06-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch-Twister (Post 133979)
I've bought several times from the same seller, without a problem.
Why not contact the seller first ?

When I contacted the seller they insisted that this is a new item from Saleen:

"Those are what was used on the 04-08 S331 trucks, I bought all the leftover stock from Saleen, If that is not what you are looking for I am of course happy to take it back for a full refund including shipping We are located at
Vintage Auto 200 Conover Road Hightstown NJ 08520 The stock wheel has a crevase in it that this sits in covering the sides."

Which is lies. So I'll have to report them.

Dave 08-06-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalocity (Post 134016)
When I contacted the seller they insisted that this is a new item from Saleen:

"Those are what was used on the 04-08 S331 trucks, I bought all the leftover stock from Saleen, If that is not what you are looking for I am of course happy to take it back for a full refund including shipping We are located at
Vintage Auto 200 Conover Road Hightstown NJ 08520 The stock wheel has a crevase in it that this sits in covering the sides."

Which is lies. So I'll have to report them.

He may have sold you an original emblem, but you can see there is serious age/quality problem with what he mailed and should have known better than to sell an emblem that is flaking apart.

metalocity 08-06-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 134017)
He may have sold you an original emblem, but you can see there is serious age/quality problem with what he mailed and should have known better than to sell an emblem that is flaking apart.

I doubt it. I worked in a vinyl shop for a number of years. This is a piece of vinyl with crappy screen print that didn't even lay white first to back the red to make it bright. It's hand trimmed with an exacto and you can see the marks. All the Saleen badges I've seen in person are like a clear bubble plastic over a backing. Not a cheap vinyl hand wrapped. It's not even the high performance 3M vinyl. You can see on the crappy photo he used that the the badge should have a finished edge, not a wrap around black vinyl. I'm really close to keeping it and driving to Saleen.

Anyone with a 331 want to post some closeups for comparison?

metalocity 08-06-2015 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pretty good pic I found:

Jim D. 08-06-2015 07:13 PM

I know the seller and will contact him... he obviously got duped and doesn't know any better.

If you talk to him first, just ask for a refund and don't make a big deal out of it.

Tell him Jim Dvorak would like to talk to him.

Jim D. 08-24-2015 09:59 PM

I understand you were getting a refund, and hopefully that's processed already.

Unfortunately this seller, like a lot of sellers on eBay, buys stuff from nefarious sources as well as some legitimate sources... so the variety of items is broad and the legitimacy is often sketchy.

He's got some legit stuff and some very very poor knock-off stuff.

Most of the knock-off stuff we got pulled from eBay.

Caveat emptor -- or, buy directly from Saleen, or be careful what you buy if Saleen doesn't have it.