The Saleen Forums at

The Saleen Forums at (
-   2005-2009 Saleen Mustang (
-   -   Q: S281 3V exhaust? (

Wackman24 02-15-2020 04:12 PM

Q: S281 3V exhaust?
I bought a 2006 S281 about a year ago. Apparently, the pipes had corroded to the point that the owner removed much of the center of the exhaust and had new tubing and resonators installed. He saved the rear-exit chrome tips with some of the tubing that makes the 90-degree bend heading forward. I'm thinking of restoring the original look and not sure where to begin. Do I seek out a local muffler shop to attach my rear tips to a new exhaust set-up and just purchase the Magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers? Or is there anywhere I can find a Saleen exhaust system from a salvage place somewhere? I don't want to spend a ton as I only paid $17.5K for the car, but want the original look.

Dave 02-15-2020 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are seeking a used 2005-09 S-series cat-back system, sometimes they appear at Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

If you want to recreate the the system, you will need two mufflers that have a single inlet with a dual outlet.

Wackman24 02-16-2020 01:51 PM

Thanks Dave. I was going to call American Muscle and see who was supplying them before they stopped selling them. The piece I have will get me from the tips to the muffler outlet. Shouldn't be tough to re-create, but just nice if I could purchase the complete unit. Too bad Saleen doesn't carry more parts like this for these years. I was also looking to get new upholstery for my driver's seat and the company that used to make them no longer has the template and will not work with them to re-create the pattern. I may try a local salvage place to see if they can locate anything withing a reasonable distance. I live in Eastern Pa and since this is a California car, it may turn out to be a bit of a challenge.

Dave 02-19-2020 05:10 PM

Hi. Saleen was probably supplying the exhaust to AM at one time.

Yes. Trim parts and small odds-and-ends are no longer serviced for these 2005-09 Saleen Mustangs.

Your best chance for seat covers will be from a damaged or salvaged 2005-07 S281.

Barricade 02-21-2020 06:50 AM

In the muffler world those single in-dual outs are called Camaro mufflers.
Get the diameter of the pipe and go to eBay.
In the search box type in "Magnaflow camaro".
Keep in mind you can also get them in polished and performance versions.

The hanger can be easily copied from existing muffler and tacked on. ;)

An example:

Dave 06-28-2020 10:56 AM

Replacement system:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.