View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010
SOEC Member

If you put the GT cluster in it with the Saleen overlay everything else will work as if was in the GT (if the needles are placed back on correctly) except the Speedometer. No matter what you to it with the SCT programmer or tire size it still will not sweep correctly because it is in the programming of the cluster. The speedo needle gauge gets it signal from the speed sensor through the PCM then to chips in the cluster to determine the needle position. What you can do to see how much the cluster is off is to go into the test mode for the cluster, how do you do that? Well first hold down the trip reset as you start the car. Then release after the car is running, this will put it into test mode, pushing the trip reset again it will go through all the things it will test. Some are sensor reading but some useful things for the novice are; bulb test, RPM's, and speed. You will have to play with it to see which one it for the speedometer. Sometime when you go though the whole list it will kick you out and you will have to turn off the car and redo it again.

So the only actual way we can cure this is by getting an actual Saleen cluster and get it reset to the car if you have PATS or install the cluster and disable the PATS.

The mileage in the cluster will be the mileage, not sure if the dealer can set it to your original or not.

This is first hand experience since I tried to put a Cobra cluster in mine and the mileage was what was on the cluster. Since I still had the PATS I didn't want to disable it because it is easy to disable but a PIA to reactivate it. So I reinstalled the OEM with a real Saleen overlay and all the gauges read correctly except the speedometer.

Just some info since this keeps going round and round with no solution. If Dave or Jim could talk to Steve Saleen and find out how the speedometer where manufactured it would clear up all this, but then again this would prevent people from putting OEM Saleen clusters in non actual Saleen's. If the "calibration" machine is broke there is nothing that we can do to get it fixed since this is not a priority of "Saleen" to fix since the cars are six years old or older and are under new management.

If Saleen Speedlab was to research what is needed to fix or calibrate new clusters for our years it would be a plus for us, but it cost money and there is not much of a market to offset the cost for such research.

There still has to be a way get these fixed though!

Just my 2cents.