Thread: S331 Supercharged Seeking value?: S331 Supercharged
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcop View Post
I believe that dealers and a handful of desperate sellers have given these trucks a 'false' valuation. Sure, there are deals out there, to be had, but the better examples still command more. If you are a more typical S331 owner, your truck is always garaged, rarely driven, lovingly cared for example. Throw in the desired options, like you said, SC and big brakes, and low mileage, and that is a $25-$30K truck.
As an owner of one of these trucks, I hope that they are at the low point, value-wise, right now. Meaning that the values will level off, and eventually go up, slightly. if the S331 trends like other low production Saleens, that will be the case. Unfortunately, I don't foresee our great trucks ever being worth much more than $30K. I hope most owners are like me, in that I will keep my truck, rather than 'give it away' for $21K +/-.

Collectors aren't really the people that buy s331's, if you just go by the miles on most of them, they goto drivers.
The situation is very reminiscent of debates the xp8 guys had years ago. Some guys swore up and down about collectors and the future, some guys just drove them. I can say for certain the guys that drove them won the debate in the end.
In many ways it's similar, they didn't make many (although they made far less xp8's, which will proves rarity doesn't necessarily add value), both are awesome conversation pieces (which may be my favorite part) and both were driven.

They are what they are. IMO, that's ok, love it, enjoy it, modify it, drive it. Not going to have a drastic effect on value.
Prices going up one day is a pretty optimistic outlook. From the looks of it, foxbody's (especially ssc's, sc and of course sa10's) are what the collectors want, and you could add the s351.

I don't expect to see the xp8 or s331 on that list any time soon.
Doesn't mean I love the xp8 any less, just means I have a greater understanding of what it is.

I can't say if they hit bottom, because i'm a research type of guy and I go by the numbers, regardless if they come from dealers (who usually ask more than private sellers because they have to make money) or desperate sellers (which is common when it comes to luxury items)

This is part of the reason I tell people to drive their cars, value is going down no matter what in most cases, you might as well rack up some miles and get some enjoyment.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons