View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021
SOEC Member

Default PJ lower grill mesh insert

The lower grille mesh is no longer available from Saleen...if it ever was.

After a few thousand miles the black mesh grill can get scratched and have bare metal showing. A normal Saleen owner would remove the front fascia which is pretty simple with 6 bolts plus the lower under shield and disconnecting the marker lamps, headlamps and fog lamps wiring. After that it is easy access to the lower mesh grill and mesh in the two brake duct openings.

But for the odd Saleen owner that just enjoys driving his Saleen rather than saving it for the next owner, there is an easier solution. Just mask all round the lower grill and spray paint the mesh with low gloss or satin black spray paint.

The 3 tabs in each brake duct opening uses 3 screws to attach the mesh. The lower grill uses some safety wire at several locations to fasten the mesh to the fascia. You may choose to replace all the wire mesh in the lower grill and the two brake duct openings. The wire mesh you want to buy should be 12" x 48" and is diamond mesh, expanded metal No. 18 which has diamond shaped openings 0.255" x 1.0". Finding it in black would be nice but you may have to paint it anyway. It is very flexible especially if you find it in aluminum. Gee,..... I think I will just mask and repaint mine!