The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 08-16-2010
SOEC Member

Default "Bumper" Number? - Racecraft vehicle production

I recently purchased a new 2009 Racecraft. I've read several threads that contain references to "Bumper Numbers". I did a quick check of my car and didn't see a number that I could identify as a Bumper Number. Where is the bumper number normally located?
Old 08-16-2010
Administrator

Hi Cliff! When ASC/Saleen (Saleen Inc) created the Racecraft cars brand, they were looking to introduce entry-level performance vehicles while creating a 2nd dealer network. Though these cars featured Saleen designed & engineered parts, Saleen Inc did not market or consider these vehicles to be Saleens. When the club decided to welcome Racecraft owners, one of the Saleen reps from 2008 stated to us "these are not Saleens."

The Racecraft vehicles are not serialized like the Saleens. Which is why they do not feature a production bumper number, engine bay serialization plate, or interior dash emblem. In some ways, the Racecraft Mustangs are similar to the old 1989-1993 California Edition / GT Sport by Steve Saleen and 1994 V6 Sport by Steve Saleen. Unserialized Mustangs with different content.

ASC/Saleen (Saleen Inc) did keep some production info on these Racecraft Mustangs. So, things like color and body style production should be known.

It can be confusing and many Racecraft 420S owners feel they purchased a Saleen... since the cars feature a large number of Saleen parts & were manufacture by Saleen Inc. Which is why we welcomed these vehicles and owners.

Hope some of this helped!

As a side: Some insiders also state the Racecraft brand was an experiment to see if ASC/Saleen (Saleen Inc) could successfully manufacture, market, and sell a line of performance cars without the Saleen name or Steve Saleen connection.
Old 08-16-2010
SOEC Member

Default Thanks

Dave;
Thanks for the information. I learn once again, that everything is not as it appears..
Old 08-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwarre9 View Post
Dave;
Thanks for the information. I learn once again, that everything is not as it appears..
The Racecraft by Saleen are neat vehicles and were a bulk of the Mustangs Saleen Inc produced in 2009. The Racecraft concept of 2008 also allowed Saleen Inc to help clear some of the white and blue Mustang GTs that were suppose to be Gurney Editions.

Racecraft offered Saleen performance at a lower price point. I don't want to sound like Racecrafts are not Saleens. They were produced by Saleen Performance Inc... the company Steve Saleen founded... meaning they are Saleens and we welcome the 420S. Steve Saleen signed Mike Clay's 2008 RC.

Feel free to place a SALEEN banner on the windshield.
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Default Thanks again

Dave;
Thanks again for the followup and I appreciate the comments. I will be attending the September 17-19 meeting in Long Beach and hope to get mine signed as well. It's a fun car to drive and gets decent mileage (when I can keep my foot out of it), and has turned more than a few heads.

I'll complete my application for SOEC later today. Look forward to meeting others in September in Long Beach.

Cliff
Old 08-17-2010
Administrator

Quote:
I will be attending the September 17-19 meeting in Long Beach and hope to get mine signed as well.
Cliff, make sure you attend the SMS Show in Corona if you aspire to have your RC signed.

SMS Supercars
2735 Wardlow Road
Corona, CA 92882

The Show Announcement Thread:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=7187

Quote:
It's a fun car to drive and gets decent mileage (when I can keep my foot out of it), and has turned more than a few heads.)
The RCs are a terrific vehicle. I view them as a cross between the rarely seen Saleen Sleeper GT and the less common 2007 S281 Heritage models.

If you decided to add the RC aero package and painted mirror caps, the red Mustang will standout even more.
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Default Corona Meeting

Dave;
That's the one I was referring to. I have the hotel listed in the noticed reserved. Is there a registration process for the SMS meeting itself? Looking forward to the event.

Cliff
Old 08-17-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a registration process for the SMS meeting itself? Looking forward to the event.
Phil Frank is still assembling the 2010 SMS Show registration form. When the form is ready, preregistration will open.