The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-29-2010
SOEC Member

Default Saleen and Lowering Springs??

I was wondering if anyone has ever lowered thier Saleen S281?

I was thinking of trying to get her lower to the ground to mimic the stance of the lowered Cobra's.

Is it possible to put a standard mustang lowering spring kit on these cars??

I am just not sure how it would all fit up with all the N2 supsension stuff

Its not a track car, just a cruiser, so I am not worried about possibly losing the cornering/performance aspect of the car.

Any input is appreciated... THANKS!
4" AFM Powerpipe, 3:90 Rear Gear, Bassani Headers and O/R X-pipe, BFGoodrich KDW's, H&R SS Springs
DynoJet Tune by Modern Muscle, 460rwh/415 torq @12 psi
Old 07-30-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2J View Post
Is it possible to put a standard mustang lowering spring kit on these cars??

I am just not sure how it would all fit up with all the N2 supsension stuff
Any of the spring kits spec'ed for a 1999-2004 Mustang GT will fit the Saleen S281.

By reading the various manufactures notes on their predicted height drop for a particular spring, this should help direct you. As well as viewing lowered 1999-04 Mustangs.
Old 07-30-2010
SOEC Member

k, thanks Dave. I seen were a standard GT is listed as 53.1 tall... where the S281 is listed at 52.0

So I assume given the Saleen is already an inch lower.... if I buy springs for a 2002 GT that say they will drop 1.5 inches..that means I would only drop my Saleen .5 inches...
4" AFM Powerpipe, 3:90 Rear Gear, Bassani Headers and O/R X-pipe, BFGoodrich KDW's, H&R SS Springs
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator

Quote:
...if I buy springs for a 2002 GT that say they will drop 1.5 inches..that means I would only drop my Saleen .5 inches...
Right. Also keep in mind your Saleen runs a larger wheel/tire than an OE GT. This changes "the look" as well... with regards to filling the gap.
Old 07-31-2010
SOEC Member

Just remember that any part that would go on a GT will go on a Saleen, it is just a sheep in wolfs clothing. There are no said difference, all Saleen did was take a GT and add his stuff to it. This is not rocket science. There maybe some difference since the Saleen part was added but it is still the same.

Some may disagree but all Saleen Mustangs started out as a GT with the exception of the S351's which started as a V6.
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
Some may disagree but all Saleen Mustangs started out as a GT with the exception of the S351's which started as a V6.
Just for clarification. Most 1994 S351s were V6 based, but a very few were GT chassis. In 1995 most S351s were GT based, with a few GTSs and a handful of very late 1995 S351s that were based on 1996 V6s.
Old 07-31-2010
SOEC Member

I was referring to the 1999-2004 Saleen's but that is good info about the older ones and I guess Saleen purchased the V6 models due to the cheaper price.
Old 08-02-2010
SOEC Member

orderd H&R Supersports Springs... should come this week, hope to install this weekend... we'll see how it goes! I'll post pics when done.
Old 08-04-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Very interested in the outcome. Let us know
Old 08-08-2010
SOEC Member

well, installation is complete. Only took 7 frickin hours! dont know why it took that long, it just did. My and my buddy are no slouch mechanics either, we have worked on oval track stock cars for a combined 50 years!

Anyway.. as of right now.. I only got a 1/4 inch drop out of it! pretty disappointed in that..but I have buddies telling me they will settle some..maybe get another 1/4 out of it... for a total of a 1/2 inch drop. I was hoping for an inch.. but looks like I ll have to settle for less. I guess I shoulda went with the Eibach Pro or whatever, that claim a 2.0 drop... might have got my 1 inch then. I'll post some pics eventually, but not much to see now, as its barely noticeable. Going to SEARS this week to have it aligned, hopefully wont need caster camber platets. With it not being lowered much, I am hoping It wont need em.

Next on my "To Do" list is 1 inch wheels spacers for the rear, to get them rear meats sticking out alittle bit further!
Old 08-08-2010
SOEC Member

Josh2J - Did you put the isolator rubbers back on? If you wanted it lower you should have just used the original spring (since Saleen already installs lowering springs) and had a coil cut off. That way you wouldn't have to wait for the new ones to settle. You probably are going to end up with the same ride height that you had before. Saleen pretty much uses the same springs as Eibach.

If you didn't touch the caster camber plates during the install you won't need a alignment. Man 7 hours to change springs, alot of beer breaks in there, you can do the front in about an hour and the rear in 45 mins.

Wheel spacers? If you lower your car to the height that you want it I wouldn't want the tires sticking out of the fenders unless you like to replace some wrinkled fenders from bottoming out on the tops of the tires but if that is what you want...

This is just my opinions and comments.
Old 08-09-2010
SOEC Member

CodeRed.... I did put the stock isolators back on. I installed H&R supersports springs. Which advertise on average a 1.75 front / 1.5 rear drop. So..considering the saleens are already lowered about an inch from a stock gt ( 53.0 vs 52.0 ) I was hoping to get about a 3/4 inch drop and 1/2 drop F/R. Maybe more if I was lucky.

With regards to the isolaters, I measured em and would have only gained another 1/4 inch ...in lowering ... since I expected to get more lowering out of these springs than I did, I figured I'd rather have a quiet car and no creeking than have that extra 1/4 inch.

I thought about just cutting the Saleen springs like you mentioned, but then the though of " what if Its too low...then I am ordering new ones anyway, or ...the thought of re-selling the car someday, and not having the stock springs to go with it, for the 'purest' so... all that came into consdieration.
Old 08-09-2010
Administrator

The springs should settle and small differences can lead to dramatic changes to the eye, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The Pro kit might have left you cursing tar strips and expansion joints.

Feel free to post photos of how the car sits today as well as photos of your ride in a few weeks. The images might aid others in the future.
Old 08-09-2010
SOEC Member

thats a good point Dave, and I hope your right!. I went with the supersports vs the pro-kits to 'play it safe' ... cause before I even changed the springs I had only 3" of ground clearnace at my lowerst point - the x-pipe. As it stands, that only lowered about 1/4 in as well...

I will certainly post some photos for others to reference. Plan on getting out one night this week to take some decent pictures.
Old 08-09-2010
SOEC Member

Ok, here are a few pics..sorry, I was in photoshoot mode and never took any plain old straight side shot pics!... but honestly, right now, you probly cant even see a difference. It has settled alittle in a day... maybe another 1/8 inch.. so it will prolly end up being a 1/2 drop all around..maybe alittle more by time they settle.

anyway, here are a few shots..

Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

Car looks great! I do believe it will settle some more...
Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

thanks... I am thinking I am not going to be able to add wheel spacers to pooch them rear meats out more...probly not enough clearance. I just hate how the saleen body sits...so it makes it look like the front wheels are out more than the rear! ( The rears are inside the fender, where as the fronts are sticking out..

I am actually contemplating putting the stiffer, 1/2 taller Saleen springs back in the rear, and then adding the spacers. I duno, I guess I cant have both...its either one or the other! More than likely I am just going to leave it alone for now... gona add a 2 gage pillar with an autometer boost and air/fuel gage next.

Last edited by Josh2J; 08-10-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

This is how your car sits now? It doesn't look like you gained very much with the new springs. Even with some settling, it sits the same height as mine with Saleen springs. What size tires are you running in the rear? I have 285/40/18 and I can get maybe two fingers in between the wheel and the fender. I am thinking of going to a 35 series to make the clearance better. When I make sharp turns the wheel would rub the fender until I bent the lip up.

All in all though it looks good but I think that the Saleen springs where the same height as you are running now. If it does lower your car more then the Saleen springs I may have to switch them out and add a skid plate because I scrap now.

Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

Josh2J - Can you measure the distance on your center ground effect, close to the front wheel and back wheel, to the ground? Just curious what the clearance is. I might lower mine more if I can make the clearance. I know it maybe a little different since I have the 40 series tire, that is why I asked what series you are running.
Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

Hey Code... first off.. I am running 295/35 KDW's 18 x 10's on the rear.

I measured like you asked, at the side skirts... and in the front I am 5" ..and the rear is 5-1/2" ... same on both sides. Also the front and center of my front bumpber is 7-1/4" high. Hope this helps.

Before I installed the springs, I measured them both, side to side.. and the H&R fronts where 1/2 inch shorter than the Saleens.... but the Rears were almost the same high...H&R's just a hair shorter.

My lowest point on the car.. where my midpipe meets the axleback on the exhaust... is just under 3" off the ground... I have only scraped on speedbumps... thats it. (Before the springchange obvioulsy ). SO I am done going over them from now on.

As far as tire rub...by the looks of the inside lip of my rear fenders, all the paint is rubbed off, and it actually looks like they may have already been rolled by a previous owner. But I ve never seen another Saleen so I dont know what the stock look like. But my fender well edge is barely even 1/4 wide, and are rounded in...

I measured my tire clearance with the edge of the fender well, and if I put a 1" spacer on the back it looks like the tallest part of my tire will be just barely inside the fender edge still.. so I think I am going to try it and see if it rubs. I can always take them off and re-sell them if its gona be rubbing all the time.
Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

Josh2J - Thanks! Your car does look great so please don't take it that I am knocking it. How do you like those KDW's? I have the Goodyear D3's on 18x10's and I can't get traction with my 4V conversion. I will have to measure mine to see what kind of height mine is sitting at. I had to roll mine when I put the 40 series on. Thanks again for your info.
Old 08-10-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
Josh2J - Thanks! Your car does look great so please don't take it that I am knocking it. How do you like those KDW's? I have the Goodyear D3's on 18x10's and I can't get traction with my 4V conversion. I will have to measure mine to see what kind of height mine is sitting at. I had to roll mine when I put the 40 series on. Thanks again for your info.
no prob, and not offended lol..its cool. I love the KDW's.. alittle road noise, but doesnt bother me.. I just love the loook of them so much its an ok trade off to me.

Traction is unreal... but its hard to tell if its cause I dont have enough low end power or not. With my Centri supercharger my power band doesnt really kick in until 3,000 rpms, so I can stomp on it and they barely break loose at all...she just squats and takes off....which is a good thing.

havent had it in the rain yet, so not sure how it does on wet roads.
Old 08-11-2010

Car looks awesome. H&R are the best. I had them in my old S281 and it took a couple weeks to settle and the stance was perfect in the end.
Old 08-12-2010
SOEC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISALEEN281 View Post
Car looks awesome. H&R are the best. I had them in my old S281 and it took a couple weeks to settle and the stance was perfect in the end.

Thanks! ... I like the springs so far.....I am actually contemplating putting the Saleens back in the rear to maybe give it more of that' raked ' look. But I duno, i'll give them time to settle in before I mess with it.
Old 08-12-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I took a different route in lowering. I removed my front isolators and rubber coated the bottom coils with just a thin coating. Then I used alot of grease to prevent noise(I dont drive it often or in the rain) so the thick grease will stay where it is. I them purchased MM adjustable lower control arms so I'm able to raise the rear 1 1/2 inch or lower it 2 inches which causes the rear wheels to tuck a little . Some coilovers for the front and I can slam this *****.
Old 08-16-2010
SOEC Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02S/Csaleen View Post
I took a different route in lowering. I removed my front isolators and rubber coated the bottom coils with just a thin coating. Then I used alot of grease to prevent noise(I dont drive it often or in the rain) so the thick grease will stay where it is. I them purchased MM adjustable lower control arms so I'm able to raise the rear 1 1/2 inch or lower it 2 inches which causes the rear wheels to tuck a little . Some coilovers for the front and I can slam this *****.
Thats awesome, love the rubber coating/grease idea. I might try that. What did you use to rubber coat them??

Its only been alittle over a week since I installed, but I am starting to worry I made a mistake. The roads here in Northern IL pretty much suck almost everywhere you go. The ride on the original springs was pretty bumpy and stiff... but with these new springs now its almost the opposite! its really really bouncey!! ... So much so its getting annoying. My wife was trying to text the other night on our way home and she couldnt even type it was so bad lol.

After thinking about it.. I imagine the Saleen suspension and set up is all specifically done with the Saleen spring rates in mind. So when I went and swapped the Saleen springs (which I presume are ' race ' type... ) with the H&R Super Sports....that probably has just thrown my whole suspension out of wack now.

I think what I am gona try before just putting all four of the Saleen springs back in is... is just try swapping out the rears and seeing if that helps.
Old 08-16-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Thats awesome, love the rubber coating/grease idea. I might try that. What did you use to rubber coat them??

Its only been alittle over a week since I installed, but I am starting to worry I made a mistake. The roads here in Northern IL pretty much suck almost everywhere you go. The ride on the original springs was pretty bumpy and stiff... but with these new springs now its almost the opposite! its really really bouncey!! ... So much so its getting annoying. My wife was trying to text the other night on our way home and she couldnt even type it was so bad lol.

After thinking about it.. I imagine the Saleen suspension and set up is all specifically done with the Saleen spring rates in mind. So when I went and swapped the Saleen springs (which I presume are ' race ' type... ) with the H&R Super Sports....that probably has just thrown my whole suspension out of wack now.

I think what I am gona try before just putting all four of the Saleen springs back in is... is just try swapping out the rears and seeing if that helps.
Josh - The spring rates might be the same as the Saleen's so you might just have some worn out shocks instead. What I would do is call H&R to ask them what is the difference between the race and sport. Ask them if you need an alignment after swapping them out, some cars do and some don't. All depends on how you swapped them out.

Also you might try some of that tool coating, the kind that is liquid then dries to a rubber coating. It comes in different colors also.
Old 08-16-2010

Quote:

Here is the rubber coating I use. It should withstand the constant flexing of the springs (I hope it does at least). I would put the saleen rears back in. I have the Super Sports on my other mustang (yes i have two 2002 mustangs) and that **** is so bouncy in the rear. Hope it works out for ya man.

Rubber coating

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...m_source=froog
Old 08-25-2010
SOEC Member

ok, here's the final verdict. Dont buy Super sport lowering springs for your car. I just put the REAR saleen springs back in, and the ride is 100 times better.

To recap, I installed H&R Super Sport lowering springs in my car, and it bounced like crazy. Every little bump felt like the car was on bouncey clown springs or something. Must be something to do with the different spring rate of the H&R's, not meshing well with all the other stiffer suspension components the saleen's have.

Now I did leave the H&R fronts in... and just put the swapped the Saleens back into the rear...and it improved the ride 10 fold. So I am going to leave the H&R's in the front.

I also put 1-1/4 inch wheel spacers on the back because personaly I prefer that wider stance/look ..and I think it looks awesome. It got dark on me so I dont have any 'after' pictures yet, hopefully tomorrow. I ll post em then
Old 08-27-2010
SOEC Member

new pics... showing of 1-1/4 rear wheel spacers... and H&R Super sport lowering springs *(front only)

Old 08-28-2010

Thumbs up Nice Look!

I like the way the car sits now! In some of the previous pictures it almost looked like there was a larger gap in the fron then the rear. Now it looks very balanced. Good looking Saleen!
2002 Saleen Extreme #13
Old 08-28-2010

Looks great man. Now I must buy some 1 1/4 inch spacers .
Old 08-28-2010

Default springs

i wonder who makes the saleen springs i know factory saleen springs are hard to find. i cut my gt springs just so it wouldnt look like hell with fender gap. i thought hr springs were suppose to ride good.
Attached Thumbnails
saleen pic.jpg  

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
i wonder who makes the saleen springs i know factory saleen springs are hard to find. i cut my gt springs just so it wouldnt look like hell with fender gap. i thought hr springs were suppose to ride good.
Racecraft made the springs for the 99-04 saleens and only for those cars. They are definitely hard to find. I found a wrecked Saleen 2 years ago and grabbed the springs off it to throw on my other mustang. So I have 2 sets

Last edited by 02S/Csaleen; 08-28-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2010

Default springs

yea ebay has them now and then but im not putting something that looks like it came out of a junkyard man the way some people take care of these cars is amazing lol.

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 08-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
i wonder who makes the saleen springs...
Depends on the year, but for the most part Eibach produced the Racecraft springs for Saleen Performance during the New Edge era.

It should be noted the height and rates were twicked from year-to-year. More so if you factor the entire 1994-2004 era.
Old 08-28-2010

Quote:
yea ebay has them now and then but im not putting something that looks like it came out of a junkyard man the way some people take care of these cars is amazing lol.

Kinda confused by this statement. Of course I would never put ugly parts on my car either. You just have to search around. Found a wrecked 03 saleen at the junk yard. Took the wheels/springs/shocks and struts. Parts only had 13K mile on them and looked brand new. Saleen owners usually don't drive their Saleen. I've put 3K on mine in 1 year haha
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Depends on the year, but for the most part Eibach produced the Racecraft springs for Saleen Performance during the New Edge era.

It should be noted the height and rates were twicked from year-to-year. More so if you factor the entire 1994-2004 era.
Man, so true! MY '98 has the perfect stance. My 2000 does not even appear to be lowered at all. I thought about getting some coupe springs and putting it on my vert. Possibly even put some Sportlines on it, instead.
Old 09-07-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Yeah, I feel like my 04 is waaaayyy too high off the ground. And when I got my FRPP front control arms installed, the shop mentioned that my springs were "stiffer than any other Mustang springs; including other Saleen's" that they've ever worked on... it's also much higher than any of the Saleen's i've come across in my area :/

and for comparison:

Old 09-23-2010

Im trying to decide if i want to keep the Saleen springs while i have my car ripped apart for other suspension upgrades/mods. Are the saleen springs pretty decent or should i go aftermarket? Are there any springs that lower the car a bit more but have better ride/handling then whats on my 2002 S281?

(BTW, i hate H&R supersports, my bro has them with bilsteins HD's and they are just too bouncy, so those are not an option)

Also ,I wish Saleen would just let us know the spring rates, whats the use of being so secretive, there are so many springs out there anyways. I know Eibach made them, so i called Eibach but they wouldnt tell me the spring rates either. Im assuming its just a pro-kit and possibly tweaked a tad.
Old 10-18-2010

I will be selling my Saleen/Racecraft springs from my 2004. They will be available this weekend, if anyone is interested. I can post some photos of my car...
2004 S281 #50 - 492 rwhp, 494 rwtq (Sold)
1997 Viper GTS #123 (Sold)
1996 S281 #63 (Sold)
2000 S281 #108 (Sold)
1993 Cobra #2302 (Sold)