The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Saleen Enthusiast News Enthusiast related news, corporate press releases, major announcements and their discussions.

Old 04-02-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen 715 View Post
Happy birthday, Steve!
This is the best news! And all the support for the earlier Saleens is coming back! Happy Birthday Steve and Welcome Home!
Old 04-02-2012
SOEC Member

Yea this is a big deal for sure. All seems right in the world again.
2001 GT--TOTALED
2001 V6--Sold
Old 04-02-2012
SOEC Member

Hopefully by this reunion Saleen HQ can stock up on all the discontinued and much needed parts and accessories for the SN95 Saleens as mentioned in the link below. This would be a nice present for us as well :-)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/steve-...web9358132.htm

Quote:
With the reuniting of Steve Saleen and the Saleen brand, Mr. Saleen is currently planning to make available all 1984 – Current Saleen vehicle aftermarket, replacement and warranty parts. All parts will be available through the Saleen.com website, by contacting Saleen at 800-888-8945 (formerly SMS Supercars) directly, or through the nearest Saleen authorized dealer.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black

Last edited by Saleen_S351; 04-07-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Link to newsletter provided.
Old 04-02-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Ahhhhhh, I feel whole as an enthusiast again... :-)
Old 04-02-2012
Suspended Account

Default Same Birthday!

Today is my birthday too! I share my birthday with Steve Saleen and I'm the proud owner of #225 2007 S281 S/C!! Thanks Steve for your hard work and for building such an amazing car! Happy Birthday Steve!
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member

Default Great News! Motivating

I am taking the car out tomorrow for a spin. Always great to here good news!

Congrats to all!
REDFIRE 2005 #880
Old 04-03-2012

It is great new! Just as I was getting us to the whole SMS thing. The Mustang will always look at home with the Saleen name. Does anybody know if the Challenger and Camaro will have "Saleen" on it? That will definitely take some getting use to.
Old 04-03-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

Yeeeeees!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member

Default Congratulations!!

Great news! Look forward to many years with the Saleen name being back where it belongs
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member

Question Saleen is back.

Good news about Steve Saleen taking over again. Does that mean he is taking over Saleen Speedlab?

My supercharger is at Saleen Speedlab right now being worked on, I hope everything goes ok....
Old 04-03-2012
Account with Invalid Email

Speedlab. Is it staying in MI or coming to CA?
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 04-03-2012
Banned

Default Return of a great name and whats to come.

So whats the future for saleen? well ide say some really nice times are to come, just think about what we have already at the factory level, better engines, better gas mileage, great power and true performance without much sacrifice even before these cars make it into Saleen's hands. This means when raising the bar higher were really talking about leaning into the supercar market even at entry level. But i maintain that saleen's edge was always an equal balance in looks and performance. Saleen with much credit to designer Phil Frank, made the humble mustang exotic. And much of that is needed with todays mustang. The Factory stangs including the shelby's all fall short in the looks department IMO. great power but little more than a decal to set them apart. Saleen always produced *functional* exterior enhancements that had style and class. Class in terms of a mustang!? yep. Thats what set saleen apart from Roush. Roush which basicly copied Saleens every move leaned more to the boy-racer styling. and although the mustang community is a community i seriously think saleen should legally lay down the law when it comes to concept theft. Fact is,, if everyone copies your style then nothing you make is looked at as 'specially unique and exclusive'. Saleen like ford need a supercar. Ford needs a full production longterm vette/viper rival and saleen needs a replacement for the s7. The SRS Raptor was great conceptually but it needs to be a car that people CAN purchase. Think GTR price/performance range. Which in hindsight to what performance specs a 2014 saleen mustang could be producing means we may be talking ' same platform for both cars (in theory), Raptor based on all new mustangs chassis?. And interesting thought if 2014 is everything we hope for. In the end saleens must be recognized as saleens, having something more than the run of the mill at first glance, especially since todays stang comes bone stock with so much to offer. We know saleen will have top tier performance so I believe its looks, thats to set it apart, but never style for the sake of style, always.. form from function which produce beautiful things.

Last edited by XEVIOUS; 04-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
The Mustang will always look at home with the Saleen name. Does anybody know if the Challenger and Camaro will have "Saleen" on it?
It/They will all be "Saleen" product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf93 View Post
Does that mean he is taking over Saleen Speedlab?

My supercharger is at Saleen Speedlab right now being worked on, I hope everything goes ok....
Revstone should be repairing your supercharger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe View Post
Speedlab. Is it staying in MI or coming to CA?
As a brand with a corporate headquarters, CA is home to Saleen. Speedlab is not a separate entity.
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP8 View Post
This is wonderful news. The company was nowhere near the same after Steve and Liz left. It will be nice to be dealing with a "family" and not a "corporation" again. The family feel is part of what really set Saleen apart. I can't wait to see what aftermarket XP parts are slated to be produced. Welcome home Steve.
I anxiously await any news regarding the XP's also.
But either way, great to hear he's back

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 04-03-2012

Glad to hear Steve got his name back. I look forward to seeing what they come out with in the future!
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member

Just gave my baby a bath. So glade Steve is back directing the business.
Old 04-03-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

This pretty much sums it up:

I lost my mind after I read the official release. My girl couldn't understand what the big deal was... haha
Old 04-04-2012
SOEC Member

Great news, looking forward to the future of Saleen

'00 Saleen SC Spdstr, Extreme Rainbow #387
'02 Saleen Extreme Coupe, Extreme Rainbow #019
'03 Saleen SA-20 Anniversary Speedster #03
Old 04-04-2012

I'm curious to know how many SMS cars sold over this short period of time. Also, Steve has a large task at hand. He is going to have to draw customers who are looking at Shebly's and Boss 302's. Meaning the price and performance are going to have to be competitive. Its a competitive market already with the Shelby, Boss, Roush etc....and you can get a lot of car in a new Shelby.
Time will tell, good luck Steve!!
Old 04-04-2012

This is Great News for not only Steve, but for the Saleen Community as a whole!
Good things to come from this for everyone
Happy Birthday Steve!
Old 04-04-2012
SOEC Member

Man should have bought an SMS! Instant collectible!

This is excellent news! Congrats and good luck to Saleen!
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 04-04-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Saleen624 is in awww for the good news!!!

I'm with you guys...should have bought an SMS!!! Imagine the value in the future!!!
Old 04-04-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwkStang View Post
I'm curious to know how many SMS cars sold over this short period of time. Also, Steve has a large task at hand. He is going to have to draw customers who are looking at Shebly's and Boss 302's. Meaning the price and performance are going to have to be competitive. Its a competitive market already with the Shelby, Boss, Roush etc....and you can get a lot of car in a new Shelby.
+10000000. The 13 Shelby is a lot of car for the price. Would love Saleen to come out with something at a price that would make me forget about the Shelby!
Old 04-04-2012

Quote:
The 13 Shelby is a lot of car for the price. Would love Saleen to come out with something at a price that would make me forget about the Shelby!

I'm addressing this issue at the moment. I'm not sure if I'll sell or keep my Saleen but am looking at The Boss or a Shelby due to the bang for the buck and parts off the Ford shelf. I have had problems getting parts from MI.
Saleen's vehicles are over priced compared to the two I mentioned and depreciate a substantial amount immediately.
I drove an '07 & an '08 Shelby 500 and they felt like a truck. I wasn't interested. I then drove an '11 and it felt like a sports car. It can be modified and get maybe another 100 horsepower easily.
Steve needs to get more price competitive. He should be very effective in CA as I heard Roush can't sell in the state probably because of CARB.
'06 281SC #222
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
Aluminum flywheel
Child tested
Mother approved

Last edited by deluxe; 04-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2012
SOEC Member

Question Question

I get the fact that Steve gets his name back but, with the Court Rulings, who owns the "Speedlab" name? Steve or the people that are located in Michigan?
Old 04-06-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
I get the fact that Steve gets his name back but, with the Court Rulings, who owns the "Speedlab" name? Steve or the people that are located in Michigan?
I am not going to pretend to know, but if you go to http://www.saleen.com/ and click on the Superparts link, I think that might be an answer.
Old 04-06-2012
Administrator

All the trademarks and logos are back with Steve Saleen.

There are no "second" entities. If you are looking to purchase Saleen equipment, Saleen serialized vehicles, or lifestyle items... contact the offices in Corona, CA or visit saleen.com .

The facility in MI can produce, inventory and ship equipment for Saleen as a contractor/supplier.
Old 04-06-2012
Administrator

To expand on what Dave said, and my understanding as I recall Steve explained it to me...

Michigan will become a tier-1 supplier for some SMS/Saleen components, as well as provide some warehousing and fulfillment for older components that are in inventory and some new components in the works.

There's still some dust settling on the websites as they are being updated -- once they are done, things will be more a little more clear.

Molly explains the websites are a work in progress so be patient with her as she gets the content updated on the domains as well as the subdomain.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 04-06-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Steve has a large task at hand. He is going to have to draw customers who are looking at Shebly's and Boss 302's. Meaning the price and performance are going to have to be competitive. Its a competitive market already with the Shelby, Boss, Roush etc....and you can get a lot of car in a new Shelby.
I've been thinking about the same thing... I think Saleen, instead of trying to compete in a saturated market of high horsepower tuner Mustangs and factory performance models, should offer something a little more unique... maybe follow in the footsteps of the Boss Laguna Seca, the Porsche GT3-RS or Ferrari Challenge cars... something track ready with little to no compromises in the pursuit of weight savings.

I think a 450hp NA car, in the spirit of the Boss Laguna Seca, with non-adjustable one piece lightweight racing bucket seats and rear seat delete... a ton of weight reduction like a carbon fiber hood, front fenders, door skins, roof panel, trunk lid, rear spoiler... maybe delete cruise control, relocate the battery to the trunk, replace the sound deadening material with something thinner and lighter. If the curb weight is maybe 200-300lbs less than any other Mustang on the market, tied in with Saleen/SMS suspension, huge brakes, larger front and rear footprint from the larger wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero Corsa System tires... and aerodynamics like nothing a Mustang has had before. Front bumper with functional splitter and brake cooling ducting, Heat extractor hood, vented front fenders tied in with the front wheel wells, underbody aero tray, vented rear bumper for the rear wheel wells and under car air flow, with a functional rear diffuser... and getting really crazy, maybe a standard Saleen-style rear wing/decklid spoiler with an electronically actuated "lip" that can increase downforce at racing speed, and go full invert as an air-brake.

If it could be priced somewhere in the ballpark between the Boss and Shelby, and utterly annihilate either one on a track... it'll easily be competitive, without the need to supercharge.

I also think if they could get the 5.8L motor from Ford out of the new Shelby, pop a Saleen/SMS blower on it and make 50-100+ additional horsepower... boom; return of the S351.
Old 04-06-2012
SOEC Member

Jim/Dave - thanks for the explanation, it make much more sense now
Old 04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing... I think Saleen, instead of trying to compete in a saturated market of high horsepower tuner Mustangs and factory performance models, should offer something a little more unique... maybe follow in the footsteps of the Boss Laguna Seca, the Porsche GT3-RS or Ferrari Challenge cars... something track ready with little to no compromises in the pursuit of weight savings.

I think a 450hp NA car, in the spirit of the Boss Laguna Seca, with non-adjustable one piece lightweight racing bucket seats and rear seat delete... a ton of weight reduction like a carbon fiber hood, front fenders, door skins, roof panel, trunk lid, rear spoiler... maybe delete cruise control, relocate the battery to the trunk, replace the sound deadening material with something thinner and lighter. If the curb weight is maybe 200-300lbs less than any other Mustang on the market, tied in with Saleen/SMS suspension, huge brakes, larger front and rear footprint from the larger wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero Corsa System tires... and aerodynamics like nothing a Mustang has had before. Front bumper with functional splitter and brake cooling ducting, Heat extractor hood, vented front fenders tied in with the front wheel wells, underbody aero tray, vented rear bumper for the rear wheel wells and under car air flow, with a functional rear diffuser... and getting really crazy, maybe a standard Saleen-style rear wing/decklid spoiler with an electronically actuated "lip" that can increase downforce at racing speed, and go full invert as an air-brake.

If it could be priced somewhere in the ballpark between the Boss and Shelby, and utterly annihilate either one on a track... it'll easily be competitive, without the need to supercharge.

I also think if they could get the 5.8L motor from Ford out of the new Shelby, pop a Saleen/SMS blower on it and make 50-100+ additional horsepower... boom; return of the S351.
This sounds interesting as a track car. The money however lies in a street jet. A lot of that stuff could be included in a street-able vehicle.
I question whether the Shelby 500 will ever be considered a track car due to the lack of appropriate suspension. In the past everyone referred to it as a drag car but there's nothing wrong with that. They started making it better in 2011.
Getting his name back is special but revamping of production is another matter all together. Wouldn't it be nice.
'06 281SC #222
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
Aluminum flywheel
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 04-07-2012

Thanks for the updates.
Old 04-07-2012

I also think this web site going to see more traffic in the near future....might be time to upgrade those servers.
Old 04-07-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk View Post
Anybody know how many grabber blue SMS's were made? I've seen pics of a 10 and an 11 coupe
The only convertible colors I am aware of that came out of Corona on 2011 convertibles where... white, black and various shades of red.

The coupe body style was seemingly more popular.

Quote:
I also think this web site going to see more traffic in the near future....might be time to upgrade those servers.
We'd also like to have a new website.
Old 04-09-2012
SOEC Member

I don't know if the Saleens read this forum or not, but I think we need to put a shout out for his family too. They stood by and endured the debacle too!

Plus a special thanks to Molly, who has probably been working for almost free the past few years.
Old 04-09-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray is Grey View Post
I don't know if the Saleens read this forum or not, but I think we need to put a shout out for his family too. They stood by and endured the debacle too!
Steve and Molly and other members of the Saleen family get updates from us, and they do cruise the forum routinely.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post

I agree with ALL of this
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The 2008-09 Saleen Inc (ASC) produced vehicles were always accepted by Steve Saleen. They continued the styling introduced by SS & Phil Frank and employed the engineering by many long term Saleen Inc employees.

The Racecraft vehicles were grandfathered into acceptance since they were produced by Saleen Inc, a variation of the company SS founded.
Can I safely ASSume that the 2011 Saleen/Speedlab cars will also fall into this category?
I believe that has not been decided yet as there are still some things to evaluate.

Keep in mind that the Racecraft cars were from a company in which he still owned part interest.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 04-10-2012

What exactly are the Racecraft cars. I heard speak of them. What are Speedlab cars?
'06 281SC #222
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
Aluminum flywheel
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator

Quote:
What exactly are the Racecraft cars. I heard speak of them.
ASC/Saleen created a new brand of vehicle named "Racecraft" during the summer of 2008. This was a budget performance vehicle separate from the "Saleen brand," though used Saleen engineering.

ASC/Saleen offered the "Racecraft brand" to franchised Saleen dealers, first. If a Saleen dealer of a particular zone turned down the offer... Racecraft would be up for grabs in that zone. Not every Saleen dealer was a Racecraft dealer, while a Racecraft dealer did not equal that they were a Saleen dealer.

A Racecraft Mustang (called the 420s) was offered from about July 2008 until around October/November 2008. They exist in both the 2008 and 2009 model year.

The 2008 model year vehicles were pretty limited in their Ford OE equipment and most are either white or blue coupes. Believed to be some of the unconverted Gurney cars. The spoiler package was one of the few Racecraft options.

The 2009 models have a larger display of Ford OE options and exterior colors. The spoiler package w/ mirror covers was offered as well as a 14" Racecraft front brake option.

The 2008-09 Racecraft 420s was offered in coupe and convertible body style. Featured the standard Saleen/Racecraft suspension, Series VI supercharger, Saleen shift knob, 180MPH Racecraft gauge display, Racecraft embroidered headrests, steering wheel emblem and exterior call-outs.

The Racecraft was not serialized. One could call the Racecraft a merger of the previously offered "Saleen Sleeper GT" package and the Heritage 281 from 2007.

There was a drawling of the proposed 2010 Racecraft package. This was done either before or after MJA purchased assets from Saleen Inc. It was believed that MJA would either concentrate of part sales or contiune the "Racecraft brand" using the stock of Saleen parts they had purchased.

What should have been (if should at all) the Racecraft 435s turned into the Saleen 435s and became a serialized model. This is also when a Racecraft dealer (or two) became Saleen dealers.

Anyway... Racecraft cars are 2008 & 2009 Mustangs, produced by ASC/Saleen, as a budget performace car. They did not market these as Saleen vehicles and went out of their way to tell us these are "not" Saleen vehicles when we asked if we should include them in the club. We included them anyway.

Quote:
What are Speedlab cars?
Revstone/Saleen/SPV announced the end of Saleen about a year ago. They were going to move forward using the "S" logo and "Speedlab" instead of Saleen. Speedlab became a way to reference the 2010-12 Mustangs produced away from Saleen Inc and Steve Saleen. Vehicles made after February 2009 with no connection to Steve Saleen or designer Phil Frank.

I always referenced these vehicles as "MJs"... but some thought this was always a low shot... circa 2009, 2010, 2011.

Anyway... the public considers a Speedlab vehicle to be of 2010-12 vintage and marketed by MJA or Revstone.

In a very odd note, I was looking at new Foci today and saw my first MJ302 in person. I did not even know we had one here.
Old 04-10-2012

Awesome news!!!! A new Saleen will be in my future! :)
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Michigan will become a tier-1 supplier for some SMS/Saleen components, as well as provide some warehousing and fulfillment for older components that are in inventory and some new components in the works.
Supplier as in independent supplier or supplier as in part of the SMS now Saleen company?

Btw the speedlab.saleen.com webshop site has already changed in part; it no longer shows any connection to Revstone and the contact page points to Saleen California. The Speedlab name and logo are also gone and have been replaced by Saleen.

They did however forget to replace the "SPEEDLAB Search" default in the searchbox
Old 04-11-2012

Ah wait a minute, the S5 topic basically answered my question. Michigan remains with Revstone but has become an official supplier. Let's hope they manage to work out an effective relationship.
Old 04-12-2012

Just found out yesterday. Great news. Now lets build some real Saleen Mustangs.
Old 04-25-2012
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen342 View Post
Just found out yesterday. Great news. Now lets build some real Saleen Mustangs.
It is great news, and the great turnout we had this past weekend exemplifies the positive mood in the hobby -- we had about 20 more Saleens register for Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's since the announcement was made, and the event was very upbeat and I think everyone had a great time.

Nearly 60 Saleens total, and more than 60 if you count Steve and Liz and their youngest granddaughter, Molly, Sean and Clint -- all were at Fabulous Fords at Knott's!

SOEC Dinner with Steve Saleen | Fabulous Fords Forever 2012

Pics from Knotts 2012 by Yaterstang

Saleen Spring Rally: Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's Weekend, Sat-Sun, April 21-22, 2012
Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
All the trademarks and logos are back with Steve Saleen.

There are no "second" entities. If you are looking to purchase Saleen equipment, Saleen serialized vehicles, or lifestyle items... contact the offices in Corona, CA or visit saleen.com .
Hey Dave, don't forget us... Or one of the other 4 Speedlab Centers! The Speedlab centers have worked hard to keep the grassroots enthusiast pumped and loving the legacy!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason @ 281m View Post
hey dave, don't forget us... Or one of the other 4 speedlab centers! The speedlab centers have worked hard to keep the grassroots enthusiast pumped and loving the legacy!
+100%!!!!!!!
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 06-14-2012
SOEC Member

Smile Great News

This is outstanding !!!!
2006 Saleen S281SC #464,
1990 Mustang GT 600HP N/A
Old 06-17-2012
SOEC Member

Going back to the original thread: "4V, SC, SSC, and X Models" So how do these models break out exactly? I am just a bit confused. We have White, Yellow and Black models as well. There is that 500 HP N/A engine too, which I would of thought a good option for the SSC tilte, but it appears that the SSC might be the Yellow lable car... Just a bit confusing and the website is of little help.
Old 08-14-2012
SOEC Member

Smile

Outstanding !!
2006 Saleen S281SC #464,
1990 Mustang GT 600HP N/A