The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-21-2005
Suspended Account

Default Purchased my S281 SC in Feb 05 and belt already wearing out.

3rd gear is sometimes hard to find and performance is not as impressive as before. What can I do under $10K to get my car to beat anything on the street?
Old 05-22-2005
Suspended Account

Performance not as impressive before what?

I feel like we're only getting pieces of this story. Easy mods are off-road cats, smaller pulley (usually with upgraded fuel pump), K&N (if you don't already have it). Might consider a different shifter (I'm partial to Steeda's Tri-Ax). Much beyond that you're looking at beefing up internals, swapping cams, different heads, etc. For $10k you could do a lot. I would consider discussing with various shops for that king of $.
Old 06-11-2005
Suspended Account

$10K is nothing when it comes to increasing the performance of my car. How much is a better rear end? Better exhaust? Maybe even changing my supercharger to a Kenne Belle or go with a twin turbo.

How much would porting the heads cost? After these mods, I'd have to replace my fuel pump. What I was getting at was to try establishing a limit but still get 600/650 + RWHP.

I live in Miami and have the only Saleen (at least that I've seen) and it has been pretty popular. I am dissappointed with the quality, fit and finish. When you spend $55K + on a vehicle, you expect no rattles, no loose fittings, no loose shifter, leather is already wearing out on Driver's seat, etc.

I should call Liz up and see what options I have IRT the warranty issues. I'm sure her and Steve would be just as dissapointed because this challenges their integrity as a quality automotive company.
Old 06-12-2005
Suspended Account

If you're looking for 600-650hp, you're going to have to beef up internals. I'm talking probably new crankshaft, rods, pistons, heads, cam. I'd also swap the SC for a more potent one. Kenny Belle would certainly be an option. You can buy new gears for about $200, but it'll typically cost you in the neighborhood of $400 to get them put in. New shifter would run you about $200, installation is easy (do it yourself), or $50 or so for someone else to do it for you.

New off the shelf heads will run you about $1k, but you have a lot of options there on what heads to get. You can also start talking about porting the heads and matching them. Depending on the shop and quality of work, this can run you another $1k. New exhaust will run you another $1k-$1500. The Kenne Bell should run you $2500-3000, I think (not sure about that one).

I really think for the kind of money you're talking you need to start a relationship with a local speed shop. Ask around your area for a reputable shop. Find a local track and go have a few conversations with guys that are running there. They'll no doubt recommend a few shops.

As far as starting up with Saleen, I can tell you that once you start modding things as you describe your warranty will be out the window. I would get all of the rattles, etc. that are under warranty corrected well before you travel down the modification highway.
Old 06-15-2005
Suspended Account

GT Rocks,

Thanks for the feedback. There are a ton of speed shops here in Miami. I'm going to take your adivice.
Old 06-15-2005
Suspended Account

You're welcome. Just be careful who you pick. There are plenty of youngin's that think they know what they are doing. Make sure you get some references for the work you're talking about. I highly recommend asking around at a track event, a Mustang show, etc.

Good luck! :)
Old 06-20-2005
Suspended Account

Oh, I am going to go with the best in this area. Here is their website.

http://www.mustangspecialtiesinc.com/

Even Steeda, who is based down here in So FL, recommends these guys.

Again, thx.
Old 07-01-2005
Suspended Account

Looks like a pretty good outfit. Report back on what you end up doing, I'd be curious to know! :)

Dave