The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-13-2006
Suspended Account

Default Q: S281 SC upgrades?

hi i have a s281 sc with 8 k miles, i have heard it has 365 hp and runs low 13's. i have cool air intake and a shortshifter, and im wondering whats a good exhaust to get cause i want it to be louder so im deciding on a steeda cat-back. has any1 heard that or what else have you heard that will give it a loud muscley roar. also it im a little disappointed in the performance so i also open to other suggestions on what to get, i kind of want to get up to a little over 400 bhp but i have no clue wat to get to get me to my goal. i live in nj and have heard jdm in freehold is a good place to go and thats not far from me. please reply on any suggestions
Old 11-06-2006
Suspended Account

I was told to add 30lb injectors and also change the superchager pulley and then have it re-calibrated, it would then give it 500 HP. I have yet to locate and shop in my area.
Old 08-06-2007
Suspended Account

01 on up SC models (except the Exbreme) should already have the 30lb injectors. I know my 01 does. 99-00 have 24lbs. As for taking it over 400hp I would go to far beyond that because the internals are not forged internals. I would say 9psi of boost would be tops and not go over 425hp. I know that chicane autosports has a pulley upgrade to incease hp by 30. I have already upgraded my TB to a 75mm and plan on LT headers with hi-flow cats x-pipe/or h-pipe, Chicane RIPP kit , 3:73 gears and a good tune. I don't plan on going over 415 until I beef up the bottom end and do some head work, 42lb injectors, upgraded fuel pump and stage 2 clutch.
Old 08-06-2007
Account with Invalid Email

i have the chicane pulley upgrade, BBK long tube headers,magnaflow cat back exhuast and got it tuned good hp upgrades... the magnaflow mufflers i told were one of the best to get because there chamberless which also makes a nice sound...my next project is to switch from the h-pipe to the Bassani x-pipe and go back to being cat-less
Old 08-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SaleenStang
my next project is to switch from the h-pipe to the Bassani x-pipe and go back to being cat-less
How do you go cat-less and still pass the NYS emissions/safety inspection?
Old 03-26-2008
Account with Invalid Email

Default Suspension is where it's at!

All of the power/performance enhancements that you are talking about are great...I've done most of them (MAF, Steeda dual fuel pumps, 42# injectors, hotter plugs, chicane pully, BBK high flow cats, 75mm throttle body, etc.) and had the care tuned by JDM in Freehold NJ....they are the best! The power is a much more respectible 375 rwhp. But with all of that said, the car still handled like junk during open track days. Anywhere in the 300 - 400 hp range is great, but where you should be investing your money is in suspension and brakes. Even on the Extreme cars, Saleen still uses the puny 10.5" solid GT rotors from Ford. In some cases they upgrade the fronts to 13" Brembo's, which definitely helps. I installed Cobra rear capliers and 11.65" Brembo slotted/vented rear rotors. This combinationn brought down brake temps (and stopping distances) by several hundred degrees. Regarding suspension, with the exception of springs, struts and bushings, most everything else is junk stock GT stuff...which simply isn't worthy of track duty. I would STRONGLY suggest that you check out www.griggsracing.com if you want you car to handle like it should. They originated late model Mustang suspension systems and when installed, your car will run circles around more extotic iron costing 3x - 4x as much.
2002 Roush Stage 3 World Challenge GR40 - Race Car (sold 5/29/12)[/B][/I]
Old 03-30-2008
Suspended Account

I think different year Extremes had different brake set-ups (Alcon vs. Brembo). Mine came with 13 inch slotted Alcons up front. As you mentioned, the rears are still factory GT rears. But, how much braking do the rears actually do? The 2003 and 2004 Extremes came with 14 inch front rotors.

Quote:
I was told to add 30lb injectors and also change the superchager pulley and then have it re-calibrated, it would then give it 500 HP. I have yet to locate and shop in my area.
Larger injectors with a pulley swap and tune will not get you to 500 hp irrespective of SC or Extreme. I did MAF, TB, switch from a 4 inch to a 3.5 pulley, SCT chip and tune and got to 400 rwhp/400 rwtq (approx. 470 hp and tq at the crank). It wasn't until I went down to a 2.6 inch pulley, installed the CHicane intercooler and upgraded my fuel delivery that got me to 440 rwhp/ 484 rwtq (approx. 520 crank hp/570 crank tq).

Keeping in mind, this was all with the Extreme's 2.3L Series V supercharger and forged internals. Therefore, your numbers will be somewhat less (as well as less safe, as Dave mentioned) with the Series I, II and IV superchargers and stock internals. Not trying to come across as a bastard or anything....I just hate to see people get very disappointed when they do mods. and come up really short based on their expectations.
Old 03-30-2008
SOEC Member

Mills is right. Most series I or II blowers with standard mods (no LFP heat exchanger or Chicanes intercooler) will be lucky to make 300 to 340 rwhp thats 360 to 400 bhp (flywheel). MY 2000 Series I made 334 rwhp 375 rwtq (2.60 pulley ported series I, x pipe with high flow cats, shorty headers, X cal. II tuner, CAI , ford 65 mm T/B ,39lb inj. SVT Focus fuel pump. I didnt want to replace the blower (its a Saleen) so I added 100 shot of NOS , withall the goodies, MSN window switch,heater, etc.
For all Supercharged Saleens I make a S/C idler pulley system that really works it fits between the S/c pulley and the power steering pulley stopping belt slipping and deflection. I gained 1 lb of boost 34 rwhp and 42 rwtq on my 2000 Saleen. JDM Engineering has tested these and Im almost done with the 2005 - 2009 , which im sending to JDM to test on there race Saleen.... I have a brocher if anyone is interested.
email: svanhoose57@hotmail.com
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.
Old 05-02-2008
Suspended Account

I just got a '99 281 (SC) from a friend. I love the exhaust note, but let's face it, it should wake the dead.

So, what recommendations do you folks have for exhaust?

Being that I live in Indiana, there's no worries about emissions, but we do pay out the *** for license plates...
Old 05-02-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
I just got a '99 281 (SC) from a friend. I love the exhaust note, but let's face it, it should wake the dead.

So, what recommendations do you folks have for exhaust?

Being that I live in Indiana, there's no worries about emissions, but we do pay out the *** for license plates...
Off-Road (no converters) H and X-pipes will give you the increase in sound you want.

You can also do headers with a catless H or X-pipe. Depends on how much you want to spend and how quickly you want the job done.

Last edited by Dave; 05-06-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2008
Suspended Account

I've got a friend that's a mechanic, how quickly it gets done is proportional to the amount of beer I pay him with and how much is consumed...:)
Old 01-21-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Does anyone have a list of the upgrades that could be chosen for the 2004 SC281
Old 01-23-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklein View Post
What kind of power are you looking to get? I had an 02 that put down over 600 at the wheels. It was quite a process. I could probably lead you in the right direction.
Old 02-07-2019
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklein View Post

Check my signature. All but the Tork Tech intake would work on your car.

I strongly recommend the suspension updates like the subframe connectors because the chassis has a lot of flex.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 02-07-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
Check my signature. All but the Tork Tech intake would work on your car.

I strongly recommend the suspension updates like the subframe connectors because the chassis has a lot of flex.
I couldnt agree more! The Maximum Motorsports suspension/chassis packages should be on the top of anyones list that wants the car to plant its horsepower. Its always shocking people always call for horsepower but rarely ever call for traction.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"