The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 08-31-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default A few quick questions about the racecraft engines

I was wondering what if any of the bottom end of the racecraft's are forged?

What would be a safe size pulley to go with, without having to start on the bottom end? 3.20? 3.40?

I understand that proper tuning and other parts need to be considered like fuel, etc. but I am trying to plan out an upgrade list and I would like to add the mosaleen idler and there is the system 1 and system 2 and the pulley sizes come into play.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2011

Default 420s engine

Engine is stock gt engine. Bottom end is not forged. You can go to 3.4 pulley without fuel pump upgrade. With gt500 fuel pump you might be able to go to 3.0 pulley. After that you need forged bottom end and heavy duty clutch.
Old 09-03-2011

Thank you Very much!
Old 09-06-2011

I was wondering what size the stock pulley is?
Old 09-06-2011

Default stock pully

stock pulley is 3 7/8"
Old 09-11-2011

Default Caution!

I know these motors and racecraft cars well, if you look back a year or so I listed my specs on my 09 racecraft with 700+ rwhp. The reason I had to build that motor was due to spitting rods out of my stock motor with a 3.2 pulley. It dumped the rods on the highway at 2 months old with 4k miles on it. Bought all my parts through the ford dealer I purchased the car from. 3.2 pulley, super shaker, gt500 pumps, lt headers, conservative tune from jdm, and full exhaust. My car was supposed to be safe! Should be able to handle that all day they said. Those bottom ends can't handle 10 lbs of boost for long. I still have the broken rods and beat up pistons if u need proof. I will not say that all motors will fail with this set up. I've read on hear several guys pushing similar and still alive and well. I am only cautioning you. Ford voided my warranty, and the new motor cost me $18k. I would say stick with 3.4 - 3.6 and a rich tune. With headers and CAI, you should put lil over 400 to the ground safely. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2011

Better to err on the side of caution. I'm doing 3.4" pulley, new belt, cold range plugs, and a new tune. Only other mod is magnaflow catback exhaust. Oh, also did the vacuum line mod. If this does not scatch my itch then next step is GT500 or new forged motor.
Old 09-22-2011

fastbob if you are not doing it i would say add the mosaleen pulley and the water pump pulley to that list. They help with the belt wrap.
Old 09-23-2011

Default 420S Engine mods

Yes the Mosaleen idler pulley should be considered. I trust JimIII of JDM and he suggests the V-10 water pump pulley is not needed until the s/c pulley is 3.2" or smaller.

I am also considering an electric waterpump, an aluminum driveshaft, and a canton oilpan windage tray. These add HP indirectly by reducing parasitic engine drag.
Old 09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbob49 View Post
Yes the Mosaleen idler pulley should be considered. I trust JimIII of JDM and he suggests the V-10 water pump pulley is not needed until the s/c pulley is 3.2" or smaller.

I am also considering an electric waterpump, an aluminum driveshaft, and a canton oilpan windage tray. These add HP indirectly by reducing parasitic engine drag.
the water pump pulley is not needed but for the cost of the pulley it will give you better wrap on the belt
Old 12-17-2011

So is it pretty safe with keeping the stock fuel pump if I only plan on going down to the 3.4 w/ the mosaleen idler? Also any good recommendations for exhaust? Would just a cat back be good with the 3.4?