The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-14-2021
SOEC Member

Default Q: Supershaker Hood cutout?

The Saleen Supershaker Kit has a "trim template" pattern for the Supershaker hood cutout and notes very, very slight cutout position difference between stock 2005-2009 GT Mustang hood and Saleen 2005-2009 S281SC vented hood.

1. Question does anyone have the Saleen "Trim Template" pattern, noted in Saleen install instructions, available from an older Supershaker installation? Available to sell, rent or whatever?

2. Perhaps a Saleen Supershaker owner with a Saleen SC vented hood could measure the distance from rear hood center to aft inside edge of plastic trim? Also measure distance from sides of hood to inside edge of plastic trim left side and right side?

3. If cutting a Saleen S181SC hood with vents....measure 3 times and cut only once? Any help to cut only once correctly, accurately would be very much appreciated!

4. CDC has a hood scoop cutout pattern but there is no guarantee that the CDC hood scoop pattern is in the "exact" same location as the Saleen Supershaker hood scoop cutout. As I noted, the location and pattern must be accurate/precisely located.
Attached Images

Last edited by jrcalvin; 01-14-2021 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2021
Administrator

I would not cut an aluminum Saleen SC / vented hood at this point.
Old 01-14-2021
SOEC Member

I remember when I cut mine I had the template. The template used the windshield washers as the reference point for the template. Prior to cutting I discovered my windshield washers weren’t where the template said they should be. Luckily I figured it out. Anyway, I took some measurements for you .
From the centre of the windshield side of the hood to the hole side of the trim ring is 11 1/2.
From the side of the hood to the hole side of the trim ring is 22 1/8 from both sides.
Hope this helps you.
Let me know if you need any more.

F180-F5-C8-8-DCD-4931-A3-FB-AC70-E4-FBDAB9

Last edited by tbar; 01-14-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2021
SOEC Member

Default Supershaker hood cutout

It only takes one person to answer a post accurately to appreciate this forum. And thank you "tbar" for once again taking the time to answer my question.

Yes, I do have the CDC hood template but the critical hood scoop cutout question was just like the Real Estate question.....location....location....location.

Thank you again "tbar" for taking the time to provide the detailed information I needed for a Precise hood scoop cutout. And thanks for the pic too!

Last edited by jrcalvin; 01-15-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2021
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcalvin View Post
It only takes one person to answer a post accurately to appreciate this forum. And thank you "tbar" for once again taking the time to answer my question.

Yes, I do have the CDC hood template but the critical hood scoop cutout question was just like the Real Estate question.....location....location....location.

Thank you again "tbar" for taking the time to provide the detailed information I needed for a Precise hood scoop cutout. And thanks for the pic too!
John, make sure to use a new sharp blade and be super patient.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 01-20-2021
SOEC Member

Hey John

Just seen your post, I know I still have the Saleen template somewhere will search for it
I made up this heavy cardboard template and taped it to the hood in correct position Used it several times and saved any damage to hood with the cutter

After 3 months of trying to figure out problem with '06 it turned out to be the fuse box haven't pulled it to pieces as yet but there must be a bad connection somewhere inside, Had car dynoed yesterday 525RWHP feels really strong

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
template.jpg  

2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 01-21-2021
SOEC Member

Default Supershaker hood cutout

Thanks for the info Tony: I thought you had changed the fuse box as one of your efforts to solve the non-start/running problem? Looking back I guess it is now easy to see that an "electrical short" problem is going to damage either a couple circuits and even the fuse box itself. Always easy to "look back".

I used multiple layers of tape to protect the hood and followed Jason's advice of "slow an careful with a new metal cutting blade". The cutout turned out very well and 'tbars" dimensional help confirmed the cutout location which I measured at least 3 or 4 times before starting.

I not sure I believe that Saleen had a special front or rear "Shaker bracket" to account for the slightly higher Saleen hood. I think spacers were used to raise the front of the hood scoop intake level to the hood. No big deal.
Old 01-21-2021
SOEC Member

I used spacers as well to bring it up to the right height. There was no separate bracket in the kit for the Saleen hood.
Old 03-08-2021
SOEC Member

I thought I would follow up on my questions about the location of the Supershaker Hood Cutout with pics of the final result.

Again, thank you "tbar" for your accurate inputs.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2021
SOEC Member

Looks good! Good to see it worked out for you.
Old 03-09-2021
SOEC Member

Wow! That looks great!

Question, is that the Saleen trim piece around the cutout? Is it held in place with tape only?

Thanks,
'Coot
Old 03-09-2021
SOEC Member

Yes the hood cutout trim piece is fastened with only double-back tape. The tape is the MMM product but when used with the enclosed "adhesive promoter" it really sticks...as in one chance to get it right and it will not easily be removed.
Old 03-10-2021
SOEC Member

Thank you!