The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-12-2020
Saleen Forums Participant

Exclamation Help: Left HID Headlight fails - 2007 S281 3v

Can anyone tell me.. do i need a ballast? A bulb? Bulb with attached igniter? Igniter? The guys at napa blank looked on 2007 mustang saleen w hid lights? Glossed over eyes? Dont exist? Need a bulb? So two years ago the one side would blink out sometimes. I could turn the headlight switch off then on and it would work fine. Then earliee this year it just wouldnt come on. I took out the 3 fuses and 2 relays n put them back in.. it worked fine for about a month it just came on with headlight switch and stayed on. Now differently tonight the left light tries to ignite 3 times each time i put on the headlight switch (3 quick flashes) then switch off n on again same thing but left headlight bulb never comes on? Does a user have experience which part i need and where is inexpensive place to obtain part? Be specific including part # and ph# name or web address if you do know for sure. Thank you. Mike 8478008323
Old 08-12-2020
Administrator

The Saleen HID retro-fit kit used from 2005-09 was a unique item offered by Saleen and I believe it was produced by Sylvania for Saleen.

Steeda offered a similar kit around 2009, Steeda's retro-fit used OE Ford HID headlights.

Both kits are obsolete.

My guess will be a ballast issue.
Old 08-13-2020

Default fix hid headlights

Hi Dave, thank you. Are you basically saying: you think I have to scavenge a ballast someplace and good luck .. basically? and if no luck am I left basically just rewiring in two different headlights that I source wherever? and does anyone know .. if I did have to degrade down to replacing new different headlights are the oem plugs that came on my car from off the ford assembly line before it was taken to saleen and finished with these lights.. are those old plugs still there to plug in for normal replacement lights that would fit a normal 2007 mustang?
Old 08-13-2020
SOEC Member

Might help https://saleenforums.soec.org/showth...hlight=Ballast
Old 08-14-2020

thanks, I will buy a couple spare parts from your link if they are available. My issue resolved with getting a new bulb with that transformer box or whatever it is called that is attached at the base of the bulb from a auto parts store for $180ish
Old 08-14-2020

Default please help with 2007 hid left headlight out

Please.. if anyone knows about saleen hid headlight system and is knowledgeable I needya. I had a left headlight blinking out for 2 years, It would go right back on with the switch off/on. later it would take 3 tries. Later it would try to ignite 3 quick flashes but not ignite so I had to do something. Yesterday a oilchange place replaced my bulb with the little box at the bottom of the bulb a d3r-n I believe and it worked 2 days? Today nothing? Not on , not 3 quick ignite tries? I cant tell for certain the parts in there? I am certain there is that osram ballast, this is a question, is there also an igniter? It seemed like there was a little box attached to the back of the headlight housing next to the rubber cover that had to be removed to replace the bulb/box d3r-n combo, is the little box next to the rubber cover an igniter? Is it a replaceable item? If anyone knows please advise. Also, about replaceing the ballast which maybe my next step, are they available? and for certain where? thanks. Mike 847 800 8323
Old 08-14-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudoni View Post
.. if I did have to degrade down to replacing new different headlights are the oem plugs that came on my car from off the ford assembly line before it was taken to saleen and finished with these lights.. are those old plugs still there to plug in for normal replacement lights that would fit a normal 2007 mustang?
Correct, the stock Ford plugs and wiring are still on the car.

It is not uncommon to see accident repair Saleen HID cars running stock Ford headlights since the Saleen assemblies are no longer available.

Yes, you can install the stock headlights if you wanted to.
Old 08-14-2020

Default hid headlight 07 s281 problem

HI Dave, My bulb was replaced at an oil change place yesterday and it stopped working today. I am not with the car but I have to get with the car tomorrow pull the new bulb out and look at it if the paper doesnt say the exact bulb, look at the old one(you know that bulb has given me problems since I had the car 21 mos maybe it was always been replaced with the wrong bulb) but I also want to look at the old bulb see what is in there now and what was in before.. but with the intention... the ballast you posted a photo of in an earlier thread about this you posted a photo of front and back of the ballast saying in the remark: osram d1s ballast, the ballast itself just said d1 on it. Since the bulb has to be compatible with the ballast, that would mean I need a d1 bulb right? not a d3bulb as the guy at napa said to me the other day. and since the headlight is a reflector not a projector it would require a d1r bulb correct? not a d1s bulb, right and not a d3 anything because that is continuous lower voltage correct? this light bulb changing is more than I bargained for. thanks. Mike.
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

I would look at the bulbs and parts Saleen originally installed and use those ID numbers to find replacements.

I would not trust any auto part counters for assembly numbers or replacement items.
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

2005-09 Saleen HID install manual.

10-8002-C11670C

https://soec.org/literature/manuals/
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

Similar to what Saleen installed, but used the OE Ford HID lamps.

Part #: 162-S197HIDKIT

Brand: XSIGHTING (a division of Valeo/Sylvania)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf installation_steeda_mustang_hid_head_lights_kit.pdf (390.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-15-2020

Default think it is the ballast

as to my problem, the light itself both sides bulb and igniter box say d1s on them. The oil change place had a parts guy messenger over a bulb same d1s slightly brighter (because of age) It only worked that day, not the next. (This was probably just due to my intermittent problem at the end of the lifespan of the ballast. I orderred a ballast off of the recomends from an old post thread. Hoping when It comes to me in a little over a week it will do the trick and be the correct for my application. I took the bulb not lighting side ballast and took it over to the other working side and that light did not illuminate, so Then when I hooked up the old one it did, so I assume it is the ballast. I didnt remove the working side ballast and check it on the non working side because It would have been more work and I am pretty much guessing that the one I had to remove to replace when the part comes, that one making the other side not work, is telling me .. I hope this thing will be nailed. I am putting a photo of my actual non working ballast off the car. I dont know if it is oem because I am not the first owner, but It probably is. THanks for all the info dave and all.
Attached Thumbnails
20200815_121307.jpg  

Old 03-16-2021
SOEC Member

I had a problem with mine in that my left light/bulb was turning pink before it would get white. Then it eventually failed. I got a new ballast from 281Motorsports and also got a new d1s bulb from Sylvania. I replaced the bulb and that was the issue for me. Difficult to replace but it is possible.

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold