The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-28-2009
SOEC Member

Default Hood shakes at speed - Normal???

I been trying to find recent threads reagarding this issue, but I cant, So if anyone can help me out It would be greatly appreciated. I have an 08 s281 sc AF and my hood starts to shae when im doing over 70 mph, is there a quick fix? and what should I do. im taking my car to jdm in two weeks should I let them fix it or is it something I should be able to tacle myself
Old 07-28-2009
SOEC Member

if it looks like its going to fly off mine does it to ,it seems like i heard wiggywigton say the same thing. the only suggestions i heard were to get hood pins of a p/j
Old 07-28-2009
Administrator

We got an e-mail from a gal whose hood shook at 110 or so... I asked her what happens if she goes up to 120.

If your vehicle is a 2005 Supercharged and has not had the hood bolt recall and it may be affected by the recall, you see the Hood Bolt Recall post here: http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=5422

For any year Saleen it might be a good idea to check the torque on the bolts.

On the composite hoods, it is normal to see some shaking.

That's about all I can offer... anyone else?

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 07-29-2009
Suspended Account

hmmm I have yet to find out if these will work on the saleen hood but they are awesome on the stock hood cars ( have a set on my '05 track car) The WMS stealth hood pin kit.

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/hoodpins.html

*** edit *** I called Western Motorsports and they work with all Saleen Hoods

Last edited by wpgfordguy; 07-29-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2009
Account with Invalid Email

Default Hood flutter

I have the same problem. I posted on this forum I thought. I received several suggestions including raising the rubber bump stops on the side which flutters. I tried it. I can't say that I was certain the bump stop raised when I turned it counter clockwise but it did seem to reduce the flutter somewhat. I need to experiment with it some more. I tried to feel underneath the stop to see what kind of fastener was involved but couldn't feel it. I didn't spend the required time to really do it right but I saw some results.
Old 07-29-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Hood flutter

The bump stops help when adjusted properly. But hood pins are the only answer safety wise.
Old 07-29-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

ive noticed the same on my S281 SC but the more i look at it the more it looks like the hood it self is flexing not the hinges or the hood lock. its due to the flexable material the hood is made out of. I used a solid fiber glass hood and it was fine put the stocker back on and the flexing returned. the price you pay to make the car lighter. wont hurt anything.
Old 07-31-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet shoppe View Post
if it looks like its going to fly off mine does it to ,it seems like i heard wiggywigton say the same thing. the only suggestions i heard were to get hood pins of a p/j
Yeap I get it all the time. THe bump stop adjustment helps a bit. But it is still there. I travel a lot on the Bahn around 100 to 110. I've kind of getting used to it. It only gets worse the faster you go.

The stealth hood pins are the fix. I have a few freinds with GT's and the same shake and it is elminated with the pins.

I am saving up for the hood strut, pins and carbon fiber rad cover kit...
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 07-31-2009
Suspended Account

Ya the first time I drove my car on the highway I pulled over to make sure the hood was latched, scared me but now I am used to it.
Old 08-04-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Same here. A diesel passed in the opposite direction on a 2 lane when we were both going about 60 and it seemed like the hood floated up an inch or so. Of course I pulled over to check but everything was ok. Can't say I like it, but I think its normal.
Old 08-10-2009
Administrator

I saw the stainless hood pins offered by Pep Boys (and Autozone) installed on Frank Bohanan's Mustang Enthusiast project car today at the Orange County Mustang Club show at John Force's Race Station.

Frank mounted the pins in the radiator core support, and it looked real slick and factory.

I think he said they cost about 8 bucks, and he says it keeps the hood pretty secure at up to 160 (he's done the Silver State run and other racing events).

He also said with a custom hood (his is carbon fiber), hood pins are the only way to go to keep it from shaking so badly.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 08-10-2009
SOEC Member

The good thing about the stealth pins is they are not visable when the hood is closed. I just can't see drilling holes through my hood. The thought of it makes me sick. Personally I think the real hood pins look better on the classics unless you have a PJ (which is made to look like the Stangs from the 60's anyways). Just my opinion though.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 10-30-2009
SOEC Member

Took me a whlie to find this answer. Here is a pic of my hood at 140. Notice the hood lift is HUGE! I didn't notice the hood movement at all, I was concentrating on the road and the gauges. I am going to have to get those stealth hood pins.

Last edited by Meikol02; 01-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2009

**** thats a perfect picture of it. it looks like the hood is just loose not flexing. I would be a little leary of drilling holes into my radiator support and hood but let us know how it works out.
Old 10-30-2009
SOEC Member

I'm not an engineer by any means, but I think a lot of it has to do w/ the lightness of the hood, the amount of cold air rushing through the engine bay and over the hood @ those speeds & the extraction of the hot air exiting the extractors...there's a lot of forces working against each other...I may be way off, but it sounds good. ;)

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 10-31-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
Took me a whlie to find this answer. Here is a pic of my hood at 140.
Was the photo accompanied by a speeding ticket...

Great example of hood lift, thanks for sharing an outsiders view of this known problem.
Old 10-31-2009
SOEC Member

I had no idea the lift was that severe until I looked at the picture close up. Checked the hood immediately and there was no loose fit at all. After having looked at it alot since the picture was taken, I think the main issue is the hood overhang just above the headlights. It might as well be a parachute. Before I run those speeds again, I want to pin it at the corners, I think the WMS pins are the answer for me as I don't want the hood pins sticking through the hood.

No speeding ticket, it was not on a public road. :-)

Last edited by Meikol02; 10-31-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2009
SOEC Member

Yeah, Those WMS stealth pins are the fix. All my S-197 friends that like to drive fast over here have them. They are on the list of things to do. THe Mustang front end just isn't designed to run at high speeds. Its like pushing a brick through the air. But I will tell ya, it will run just fine with the BMW's, Merc's and Porsches on the Bahn.
#06-409

Last edited by wiggywigton; 11-01-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2009

The hood buffeting problem is common in all the S197 mustang, and is not just limited to the Saleen. I think the only ones that do not have this problem are the Shelby GT500. It has to do with the air pressure just in front of the headlights and the distance the hood sits in front of the lights.Ford corrected the problem in the 2010 by extending the hood out over the head lights and also dropping it down just a little bit more. Hood pins....either through the hood or the stealth ones are a good fix, but the pressure still is going to be in that area. Hope this help answer your question a little

QWKENUF
Craig
Old 05-06-2010
SOEC Member

Default Got Stealth pins installed

Okay,
I am reviving this old thread, to save some time...

I finally was able to aquire and install the Stealth pins from WMS motorsports. (see link above) They are awesome!

Engineering is top notch and they are really pretty easy to install. Install time is quoted at 1-2 hours. It took me four...

The first two hours were assisted. (see first picture)

Then another hour of install. Hour four was spent adjusting the hood, because I am that OCD.

Because you remove the hood prop, to locate one of the bases, you need a strut solution. I chose the Quicklift plus, and picked that up from JDM. Great product as well (installed previously). The alignment takes some time, because of the removal of the outside rubber stops the hood wants to hang lower. You have to adjust the latch and the center rubber stops up a bit to compensate, and the "pin" part that attaches to the hood itself is also adjustable and must be dialed in to get to the "0" movement. Once it's done, the hood requires, slighlty more force to close. Not much more, but a bit. The hood release (which now pops the main latch and the two pins) is about double the effort. I expect the movement of the spring in the release mechanism adds tension as does the two additional cables. The fit to the core support is of course stock Ford location, the question came up earlier as to how it fits a Saleen hood, and the only issue is the alignment of the inner skin to the outer skin. I found mine was off slightly, so you have to use the extra layer of adhesive tape to shim the pin. If your particular hood is spot on, the pins sit in a recessed area perfectly. Still, it is an individual car variance, and something called out in the kit. I broke two screws (heads twisted off) and had to replace two with cad plated steel screws because I couldn't find any SS in the right type and size. Sent a note to WMS and Joel Dyck said he would send 4 new ones out the same day. Great customer service.

It is pretty dang cool though, and I get NO hood shake.

Last edited by Meikol02; 01-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2010

I hadn't noticed the hood shake at all in my Gurney with the stock hood pins until just a few days ago. I've had 2 previous S197 Mustang GTs and they both had the shake starting at about 85.

Long story short - the diesel truck boys around here think they are super badass, so I had one trying to pull away hard on me the other day. Being full of ego like I am, I of course had to stay on him up to about 120 when we had to shut down for a stop sign. I started noticing some minor hood shake at about 110. At least now I feel comfortable that the hood is definitely not going anywhere since I've got the pins. With the 2 previous S197s it feels a little scary when the hoods wobbling at high speed. Especially at about 140 with a Subaru WRX getting smaller in the rear view.

EDIT: Just to note, the only reason the diesel bad boy isn't crying right now is because we were on a 2 lane county road. I didn't think it would be appropriate to pass him at 100+ MPH. I probably only had about 3/4 throttle in it and actually had to let off entirely a couple times as he shifted to keep from getting too close to him. The turbo diesel trucks around here are a little too cocky. Don't get me wrong, turbo diesels can make some killer power, but I get sick of hearing them screaming past my house down on the highway. Rant over now. :-)
Old 05-10-2010
Suspended Account

So my question is, has anyone had it fly off? I so far have been up to 135 and didnt think it was going to come off.
Old 05-10-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post

It is pretty dang cool though, and I get NO hood shake.
Great write up. I had a very similiar install process. Found the same alignment issues with the inner skin of the hood. Overall a excellent product. I do now notice a little bit of an alignment issue with the middle of the hood (noticable where the hood and the fender meet up along the sides). It now sits up a tiny bit. I think it is because of the hood strut mounts. I'm sure I can adjust the hood mounts.

I'll run a vid the next time I am on the Bahn to show the hood at high speeds. I for one only have a little bit of shake, in the center rear of the hood now, at speeds 120+. It is really minor and I am sure it is just cause of the airflow through the hood. I'm not even sure if you will be able to see it on a video because it is so small.

I HIGHLY recommend this modification. If not for hood shake but also for piece of mind too.
#06-409
Old 05-05-2021

Nothing like bringing back an 11 year old thread.

Unfort, WMS doesn't make their stealth hood pins anymore.

By chance does someone else makes something like it?

Thanks