The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-02-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Advice: 2001 S281 SC - Build it up or leave it alone & sell

So I am at point of power to where i either need to build my engine or sell it as is and start over. I have a 01 281-SC that has a steigy ported blower, Cams, Full Exhaust, Fuel System with some good supporting mods. At about 14 psi i pushing the limits of the stock short block and i am considering doing a Twin Turbo Termi Swap... The car has 56K miles with all the mods done around 50K and i have had mustangs my whole life but new to the Saleens. If i do this build is it going to kill the value and/or be hard to sell? is the value already gone with the mods i have done? i love the car and dont plan on selling it but if that was the case i would just sell it and pick up a coyote to put twins on as i do tend to rotate cars every couple years just to start fresh builds. Just curious as to how these things hold value stock vs slightly modded vs heavily modded.. I would hate to kill a great car just because i want to go fast.

Thanks for any advice, Tyler
Old 04-02-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281SC-95 View Post
So I am at point of power to where i either need to build my engine or sell it as is and start over. I have a 01 281-SC that has a steigy ported blower, Cams, Full Exhaust, Fuel System with some good supporting mods. At about 14 psi i pushing the limits of the stock short block and i am considering doing a Twin Turbo Termi Swap... The car has 56K miles with all the mods done around 50K and i have had mustangs my whole life but new to the Saleens. If i do this build is it going to kill the value and/or be hard to sell? is the value already gone with the mods i have done? i love the car and dont plan on selling it but if that was the case i would just sell it and pick up a coyote to put twins on as i do tend to rotate cars every couple years just to start fresh builds. Just curious as to how these things hold value stock vs slightly modded vs heavily modded.. I would hate to kill a great car just because i want to go fast.

Thanks for any advice, Tyler

It is already going to be a limited market based off certain modifications compared to a factory example: it will be an easier sale with the 2V drivetrain. The amount of time labor and money people would rather buy a cobra than a Saleen body with a 4V. If you want to modify it, do it, it’s your car. But there won’t be much return on investment. Especially the cost of 4V’s and the ability to do the same with coyotes if not better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 04-02-2020
Administrator

As stated previously.

Collectors will prefer to have a vehicle closer to OE specs. Saleen values tend to fall on condition, rarity, and if the specific rarity is desired by collectors.

If you're having a good time with your vehicle, stop thinking and continue having a good time.

I don't particularly believe Saleen vehicles are easy to sell in general.
Old 04-07-2020

I personally would leave it alone. It’ll cost you more when you do sell. I modded the hell out of my 02 and ****ed away a good 25k in mods. Sold the car about 5k miles later for 17k with only about 37k miles on the car. If you are okay with throwing the money away for a fast car though a twin turbo setup would be sweet.
Old 04-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

thanks for all the input, i think i may try and sell the car this summer and just enjoy it until it does sell. If it doesnt sell by the fall i will probably put a set of twins on it. I know these cars values are sort of hard to say but any idea on what the car might be worth? The interior is 10/10 and the exterior is probably 7/10
Old 04-08-2020

I went by NADA to get an idea. Then looked on various used car sites to see what asking prices were.