The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-25-2008
Account with Invalid Email

Default Look what showed up at my house

1987 Saleen Number 47 with 45K miles, all orginal.

Old 04-25-2008
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Saleen47 View Post
1987 Saleen Number 47 with 45K miles, all orginal.
Nice. Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2008

Congrats and welcome to the 1987 Saleen group! I had two, #065 and #0197, but I sold #0197 to my son. I just finished restoring my all original #065 with some Saleen option upgrades as well. :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=#000000]1994 S351 R code. 562rwhp 566rwtq on 93 octane and a little meth![/COLOR]
Old 04-25-2008

Thanks,

I am working on detailing the car right now, the car is very clean, but not up to my specs yet. Should have it ready for the year one cup.
Old 04-25-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Nice looking car but you could have called me to haul it since I have a business hauling cars. But you will have to take more pics of the car once you finish detailing it. Where did the car come from?

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 11-11-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and could use a little advice. I am looking @ 1988 Saleen that appears identical to the below car (87Saleen47's new white one) same stripe colors and all. It's been a long time since I was looking at these as a 16 year old @ the dealership so my memory is a bit foggy. Did the 88's come with the one color flofits or the grey with red piping flofits? The one I am looking at has the one color and somehow is does not look right to me. I'll do some more research on the combos but on pricing I'm looking to pay about $14K for a car in nice original condition with less than 50Kmi. Is this a realistic price range?

Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-11-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: edit for clarification of picture
Old 11-11-2008

The above car is for sale presently and is all correct. The seats you mentioned in the 88 are not correct. They should be two different shades of gray with red piping on them. contact 87saleen47 about his car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=#000000]1994 S351 R code. 562rwhp 566rwtq on 93 octane and a little meth![/COLOR]
Old 11-11-2008

Here is the 88 interior shot in question. Looks like you are correct in that the 88 should have the red piping. Looks like the door panels and seats were replaced then right?
Old 11-11-2008
SOEC Member

Thumbs up

sweet. nice car. I really like the blue at the bottom of the car.
Old 11-11-2008

Yes, you are correct.

Here is what mine looks like 1987 car 47:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
Here is the 88 interior shot in question. Looks like you are correct in that the 88 should have the red piping. Looks like the door panels and seats were replaced then right?
Old 11-11-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and could use a little advice. I am looking @ 1988 Saleen that appears identical to the below car (87Saleen47's new white one) same stripe colors and all. It's been a long time since I was looking at these as a 16 year old @ the dealership so my memory is a bit foggy. Did the 88's come with the one color flofits or the grey with red piping flofits? The one I am looking at has the one color and somehow is does not look right to me. I'll do some more research on the combos but on pricing I'm looking to pay about $14K for a car in nice original condition with less than 50Kmi. Is this a realistic price range?
I think forum member 87Saleen47 has/had his white '87 hatch on the market. 87-0047 was featured in The Saleen Book and is a pretty original, maintained car. I think the motor was rebuilt, and the seats might have also been rebuilt with the original covers, but it seems to be a solid car and buy.

There's also a neat looking black and gold '88 hatch up in the north west. You can pick a nice original 1987-91 Saleen hatch in the $14,000 range.

I'll have to pull a guide out, but I believe 1988-91 Ford Mustangs had the upper body factory pinstripe. When you see this color stripe missing on a Mustang of this era, tends to signal a repaint. Excluding the SSC and SC.

If you would like, talk to forum member msper about "laser stripes" if you find a Saleen of the '88-'91 era without the Ford pin-stripe.

1987s are neat since Saleen production was still fairly low. It's also the first year for the complete make-over. 5-lug rotors, 4WDBs, performance seating (not supplied by Ford), and '87 was the Championship year.

1984-86 saleens are a spring, shock, wheel conversion with styling additions. With that said, I'm a fan of the pre-aero Saleens though.

For $14,000. I would look for an original paint, interior car, with a clean and documented past.

BTW: Do you have a Turbo McLaren? As an SVO owner, those '81s and Ford Turbos in general are pretty cool!

If you need any help finding a Saleen, talk to Greg (member saleenlocator). Stuff crosses his path daily.

Best wishes and welcome to the SOEC Forums!
Old 11-12-2008

87Saleen47 Has your's been repainted since it is lacking the pinstripe?

Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-12-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add UN
Old 11-12-2008

Quote:
The front bumper has been repainted, still retains the factory vin sticker. Not sure what pinstripe he is refering to. I believe my car is has 100% correct stripes and markings. The seats have not been re-built either, not sure where he got that from?
Old 11-12-2008
Administrator

Quote:
The seats have not been re-built either, not sure where he got that from?
When Sergio had the car, I can vaguely recall him saying that he wanted to rebuild the seats. I think the claim was the foam collapsed. Maybe he did not have Mark LaM install new foam after all.

Sergio is forum member sln8661, shoot him a note. Same goes for Mark.

Last edited by Dave; 11-12-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added Comment.
Old 11-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
When Sergio had the car, I can vaguely recall him saying that he wanted to rebuild the seats. I think the claim was the foam collapsed. Maybe he did not have Mark LaM install new foam after all.
Mark or Sergio never mentioned it. They have some wear. I am guessing that they were not re-built, but you never know??
Old 11-12-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Not sure what pinstripe he is refering to.
This one, but as I stated... can't say the '87s from Ford had this. The stripe was pulled off the chevron cars of 1989-1991.
Old 11-14-2008

No, m81mclaren is talking about the laser etched line on the side of the car for them to apply the pin stripe... It makes it easy to tell if it was repainted because of that.

Old 11-14-2008
Administrator

Aah Wayne, settle down. Read the posts in full.

"m81mclaren," best wishes Saturday!
Old 11-17-2008

Hey Dave,

I did read the posts in full... I was just providing additional information regarding the laser etching for where the pinstripe is applied..... Is there a problem with that? I also actually received a PM regarding my post. I have also seen cars that DO NOT have the factory pinstripe that are NOT SSC's or SC's and still have the laser etching.

Old 11-18-2008
Inactive Account

If you guys have questions about the car call Mark he will give you the run down on it. And Wayne is correct the pinstripe was an option you could order any mustang with or with out it.
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:

Sorry guys. I did not mean for this to hijack the thread and should have just PM'd the owner first before posting. I'm clear on the pinstripe now thanks to Wayne and otehrs and am thankful for the information. BTW, 87Saleen47's car is a standout and I love it!
-DH

Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-18-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added clarity
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:
Sorry guys. I did not mean for this to hijack the thread and should have just PM'd the owner first before posting. I'm clear on the pinstripe now thanks to Wayne and otehrs and am thankful for the information. BTW, 87Saleen47's car is a standout and I love it!
-DH
Thanks!

You should buy it. Make me an offer.
Old 11-18-2008
Administrator

Quote:
-DH
Nothing to be sorry about, this discussions and debates are how we learn stuff.

One final note about both the upper paint stripes and the etched line in the exterior hue.

Speaking with Greg away from the forum, he kinda' misspoke. His source states the accent stripes are/were standard on the LX, there was an unpublicized code to delete the stripe if you wished.

So, if you walked into a Ford Dealer in 1989, placed an order for an LX, picked your options, and if you didn't make a statement or inquiry about deleting the stripe. Default was to built it with pinstripes.

Etch mark: If there's only one etched line, down one side, or skips panels... it seems that's when you should ask "why?"

So, we're all kinda' wrong and we all learned something new.

Edit: One more correction. The stripes are/where paint not tape.

Last edited by Dave; 11-18-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Tape to Paint
Old 11-19-2008
SOEC Member

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I posted on here. Hope everyone is doing well.

As for the seats to 87 #47, I never had any work done to them nor have they been replaced. The reason I was thinking about replacing them is that I felt that they leaned too far back when in the fully upright position. After having owned an SSC, I found this to be a common characteristic of all FloFits. Personally, I prefer the Recaro seats.

As for the pin stripe car has never had one.

As for the overall condition of the car, I think it’s in great shape and worth all the money it is being sold for and more. I have owned the car from December 1999 until I sold it this year. During that time it was not on the road all that much, since I live in Italy and the car was in the states. When I did get a chance to drive, during my visits home, there were no issues with. It’s a very solid and strong running car. The engine was rebuilt not too long ago (can’t remember exactly). It was dynoed at 210-220hp to the rear tires – I think. Mark at PAS may know the exact numbers.

Anyway who ever ends up with the car will have a great car. From the pictures that I have seen, the present owner has done a great job in detailing it.

I hope that this helps.

All the best,
Sergio

Old 11-21-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8661 View Post
I hope that this helps.
Thanks for posting Sergio.
Old 11-21-2008

Thanks Sergio, Trying to keep her. If the dam economy would pick up, I might be able to. My job is sooooo... dependent on the economy, it's not even funny.
Old 11-22-2008
SOEC Member

Hey Steve,

No problem. I hope things work out for you, not just for the car but most importantly for you and your family. I also do hope that you get to keep the car. As I have said before, this was my first Saleen and I'm glad it went to a good home.

Wish you all the best and hope things work for you. Keep me posted.

Sergio