The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-31-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Original owner: 86-0068

This is my 86-068. Original owner with 10,000 miles, original paint and interior. It was special ordered as a stripped down Mustang from Ford and drop shipped to Saleen for the Saleen conversion. Car was bought to compete in SCCA Solo II. Car has a National 1st place win, numerous NorthEastern Divisional, Central Divisional,numerous Regional, numerous State Chamionship, and more wins in the E Street Prepared class. These are some of the pictures I have of it thru the years it has competed so far.
Attached Thumbnails
98solo.jpg  

Saleen at Nationals(1).jpg  

PaStateSolo2000.jpg  

george.jpg  

Saleen(1).jpg  

Old 01-31-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchabal View Post
This is my 86-068. Original owner with 10,000 miles, original paint and interior. It was special ordered as a stripped down Mustang from Ford and drop shipped to Saleen for the Saleen conversion. Car was bought to compete in SCCA Solo II. Car has a National 1st place win, numerous NorthEastern Divisional, Central Divisional,numerous Regional, numerous State Chamionship, and more wins in the E Street Prepared class. These are some of the pictures I have of it thru the years it has competed so far.
Thanks for sharing images of this wonderful Saleen and welcome to The Saleen Forums at SOEC.org!

I might be mistaken, but I think I can recall seeing your '86 on display during the 1994 Mustang preview event in North Park during the fall of 1993. I believe there were two Bright Red 1986 Saleen Mustang hatchbacks in attendance. One race car and one street car with a broken air ****. (I think).

Great vehicle and glad to see an original owner of one of these early works of art!

We need to send you a SOEC window decal.
Old 02-01-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Welcome to the site. That is one awesome 86!!!! What kind of wheels do you have on the car?
Old 02-01-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Welcome! Nice Saleen!
Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thanks for sharing images of this wonderful Saleen and welcome to The Saleen Forums at SOEC.org!

I might be mistaken, but I think I can recall seeing your '86 on display during the 1994 Mustang preview event in North Park during the fall of 1993. I believe there were two Bright Red 1986 Saleen Mustang hatchbacks in attendance. One race car and one street car with a broken air ****. (I think).

Great vehicle and glad to see an original owner of one of these early works of art!

We need to send you a SOEC window decal.
Yes. It was the race car there. I had run a race that morning and then trailered it there. I had forgot about that.
Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Saleen#20 View Post
Welcome to the site. That is one awesome 86!!!! What kind of wheels do you have on the car?
The wheels in the picture from the back of the car are basketweave Epsilon 3 pc modular wheels 16x8's. That was an earlier picture.
The wheels in the other pics are a one pc Revolution in 16x9 inch with 275-45-16 Hooser A6 DOT racing tires. That is what is on the car now.
When I had ordered the car I was in touch with Saleen and ordered a second set of original wheels to run on the car for racing. When the car was built they had ran out of the Rikens and the car came with Enkie's on it. The second set I had ordered where the Riken's. All two sets of the original wheels are stored away. And the 4 Enkie's still have the original General tires mounted with very litte wear on them.
Old 09-14-2014

Some more info about my 86-068

Was in touch with Saleen on how to order a stripped down 1986 Saleen Mustang and have it drop shipped to Saleen to have the Saleen conversion done. Car was to be SCCA Solo II raced in the Street Prepared class. They had said this car was what they would have done if they were to sell a R version to the public at that time. At the time they were out of the Hurst shifters for the street cars but since they knew I would be racing this one they took one of their back up Hurst shifters from their race team to install into my car. It also has the grey Momo steering wheel. It also came with Enkie wheels since they were out of the Rikens at the time. I had ordered an extra set of wheels to race on and when they came they were the Rikens. Mustang options were only: Tinted glass, Light Group, Power Lock Group, & radio delete. Had the Saleen radio option added because the car was driven to all of the events the first year before it then was trailered to all the events. Once that was done the radio was removed and the radio delete parts were put back on. Car was modified with only bolt on items through it’s over 25 years of racing to stay competitive. All of the original parts are stored away. Original paint, body and interior are still practically new. Have all of the original paper work on the car including the order papers. Car has won a large number of Regional, State, & Divisional Championships, and one National Championship. Probably the most winning Saleen ever! Car has only 10,000 miles on it. Decals used on car were always magnetics so the paint is flawless after all these years. This car is a very rare one off, low mileage, one owner 1986 Saleen with a very extensive SCCA Solo II racing history and in immaculate condition.

SOLO RECORDS

GEORGE'S

I. Regional
A. Class Champion 1987-2001 ESP, 1999 Driver of the Year; Steel Cities Region SCCA
B. Year End Points Champion North Hills Sports Car Club
1. Most number of total & consecutive since start in 1958
2. 1984,1987-1990,1993-1994
II. SCCA NEDIV Divisional
A. 2nd, best finish
B. 1st, 1995
III. SCCA CENDIV Divisional
A. 1st, 1998
IV. SCCA National Tours
A. Evansville, IN 1993: 3rd
B. Norfolk, VA, 1994: 2nd
C. Evansville, IN, 1994: 3rd
D. Pittsburgh, PA, 1996: 1st
V. PA State Championships
A. 1st, 1992
B. 2nd, 1993
C. 2nd, 1994
D. 1st, 1995
VI. SCCA SOLO II Nationals, Salina, KS
A. Middle of group, 1990-1992,1994
B. 8th 1996
C. 7th 1997

LADIE’S CLASS CO-DRIVER

I. Regional
A. Class Champion 1983-1997 ESPL, Steel Cities Region SCCA
B. 2nd year end points North Hills Sports Car Club 1995
II. SCCA NEDIV Divisional
A. 1st 1983-1986, 1991-1997
B. 2nd 1987-1990, 1999
III. SCCA National Tour
A. Evansville, IN: 2nd 1993
B. Evansville, IN: 1st 1994
C. Norfolk, VA: 1st 1994
IV. PA State Championships
A. 1st 1992-1995
B. 2nd 1999
V. SCCA SOLO II Nationals, Salina, KS
A. 4th 1989
B. 3rd 1991
C. 2nd 1992
D. 3rd 1994
E. 5th 1995 (Topeka)
F. 2nd 1996
G. 1st 1997

Some more pics of the car without the magnetic racing decals:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  

IMG_1000.jpg  

IMG_1003.jpg  

IMG_0005.jpg  

Old 09-14-2014

More current pics of 86-0068
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0990.jpg  

IMG_0995.jpg  

IMG_0992.jpg  

IMG_0974.jpg  

Old 11-30-2016

Roll-up windows are cool....
Old 11-30-2016

Only options when I special ordered the car from Ford was what was required for Saleen to convert the car, tinted windows, & the light and power lock group. That was it. No air, power windows, and etc. because the car was ordered to race in the SCCA Solo II series so didn't want any unneeded extra weight.
Old 11-30-2016

As an owner of a 00 R model (who needs air conditioning or a radio?!), I must say that I'm really drawn to special order low options cars like yours. Such a cool story and a cool car. Well done.
2004 Saleen S281 SC #227 (1 of 1 Torch Red w/ factory 6 speed)
Old 11-30-2016

When I was in the process of ordering the car the dealer and I were in touch with the people at Saleen about how to go about the special order and also the build. Saleen had told me that they had been tossing around the idea of making a limited amount of R models to the public for sale and that my car was what they had in mind if they would do it. They also told me that they had temporary run out of the Hurst shifters for the cars that they were building at the time and they were going to be just sending them with the stock Mustang shifters instead of holding up the orders. But because they knew I was going to be racing mine they took a new backup Hurst shifter from their race team to install in mine. They were very nice to work with and talk to. My car was also the first Saleen shipped to Pennsylvania. Also after I had the car a few months Steve Saleen himself had called me and asked if i would be willing to take the car to New York for a Koni ad shooting. I told him I would get back to him and had to make sure I could get off work. When I got back next day they had made other arrangements because of the short lead time.
Old 12-03-2016

A great car with a great story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2016
SOEC Member

gchabal, do you still own this car, 86-0068?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Only options when I special ordered the car from Ford was what was required for Saleen to convert the car, tinted windows, & the light and power lock group. That was it. No air, power windows, and etc. because the car was ordered to race in the SCCA Solo II series so didn't want any unneeded extra weight.
86-0084 appears to be an "everything" delete. This chassis does not have the light nor power lock features.

Your grey steering wheel and crank windows may have not been noted on the original Saleen build notes.
Old 12-05-2016

Yes Firehead, I still own 86-0068. It now has just over 10,000 miles on it. Something like 10,026.
Old 12-05-2016

Out of curiosity- do you still race it? Future plans of racing?
Old 12-05-2016

I haven't raced it for over ten years now because of numerous life changes; divorce, work restructuring, remarrying into 4 kid family, and now having a two hundred year old house that needs restoring and more. Always have had plans to get back into the racing, maybe not as involved as before. Used to run the racing program here in Pittsburgh besides racing in it and traveling all over the country competing. Now only have had the car out in a few local shows. A couple of pictures of my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0124.JPG  

IMG_0137.JPG  

Old 12-10-2016

Nice rig. I'd like to get the R model out racing more, but as in your case, life seems to get in the way. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 01-31-2017

Thank you for the great article on 86-0068.

http://soec.org/rear-view-86-0068-grassroots-racing/
Old 02-01-2017

Welcome and wow, such great history around your car and all the domination. Goes to show these were amazing and still great road racing cars.

What sort of tires were you running on it in competition? And the brake set up was with front Saleen Alcons or ?
Old 02-01-2017

The car at first was raced just the way it came from Saleen and evolved as the years went on. Was running in the E Street Prepared class, which allowed updating and backdating the complete car within the generation of the car. In my case 1979 - 1993. Body and interior had to be stock in those years (back seat was removed as the 1993 Cobra R was). Drivetrain had to be stock in the years, except: intake to the heads, exhaust after the heads, oil pan, flywheel, clutch assembly, and limited slip. Brakes had to be stock in the years, except the pad material. Wheels where open and tires as long as they were DOT. Suspension allowed any changes to springs, shocks, swaybars, and bushings as long as they fit the stock locations and bushings were not metal. So the car by the end of the updating period had a balanced and blue printed '93 Cobra motor, GT40 intake, headers, exhaust, aluminum flywheel, Centerforce flywheel assembly, Auburn Gear limited slip, '87 up Mustang front brakes (Stock '86 Saleens had stock Mustang brakes), SVO Mustang rear brakes, heavier springs and swaybars, Koni fully adjustable shocks, Griggs torque arm, Derilin suspension bushings, Revolution 16 x 10 wheels with 275/45-16 Hoosier A1 DOT tires. All of the original stock items removed are stored away. That's about it without getting into all the nitty gritty. So the Saleen Alcon brakes were not an option to use.
Old 02-01-2017

Also the car was run as a Mustang LX that was converted by Saleen, because by the 90's all Saleens were moved to B Street Prepared which wouldn't have been a competitive class to run in. E Street Prepared was basically the pony car class. Everything Saleen did in '86 was allowed to be done in E Street Prepared, except the rear wing. All we did was insert a removable foam insert under the wing to make it a spoiler instead, which made it legal then for the class.
Old 02-01-2017
SOEC Member

Love seeing the Saleens on the track doing what they do best !