The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-24-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default help #335 gettin smoked

I have 88 saleen #335. i bought it pretty recently with some upgrades already on and have done a little so far i feel like i have a ton of torque and decent power and she sounds amazing but i am still getting beat by little imports with engine swaps and ####. I was wandering in wat direction i should go to start mopping the streets with these little ricers around where i live. here is wat i have done:

supposedly stroked to a 331 (no papers when i bought it)
Mild cam
saleen/vortech upper and lower polished intake
cold air
MAF conversion
70mm tb and egr spacer
stock heads i think (choking the 331????)
billet flywheel
centerforce clutch
aluminum driveshaft
shorty headers
h-pipe and flowmasters
and i am guessing a fuel pump bc that #### is loud when i turn the key haha

Any advice on wat i should do next??? i am thinking underdrives and adj. fuel pressure regulator. not to familiar with the tuning process on obd1 computers or even if it is worth it at this point. looking for reasonable advice, i know ill get the post that says boost the #### out of it!!! but i am thinking a little more practical here ha. thanx
Old 04-24-2012
SOEC Member

Uh VORTECH that thing!
Old 04-25-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Practical means getting beat by imports. You will need to get a power adder on that thing. Every car from the factory now a days comes with more and more hp. A naturally aspirated 5.0 cut the mustard in the late 80's, early 90's. Today in my opinion, you will need at least 450-500 RWHP to beat a good number of those motor swapped hondas on the street.
Old 04-25-2012
SOEC Member

If you don't want to s/c it, a good way to put power down is a set of gears...3.73 is a good street ratio but if you really want to go and don't mind some decline in MPG go with 4.10s.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 04-25-2012
SOEC Member

Try doing HCI first. If thats not enough power to stomp imports then go blower or turbo. But the deeper you go the driveability goes away.

I have GT40X heads, ecam, cobra intake, with upgraded injectors and spark. Its quick enough to smack down some imports but i'm not sold on going any deeper because I sure like to drive my car everywhere and it be reliable still with AC blasting.

I just drove my car down almost over 1k miles to the Knotts show from sac, not one hiccup, and AC blasting. My IRS coupe with a V2 blower would have never made it but it will smoke more than just a couple imports.

Trickflow has a good kit to start off with if your buying new.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K514-360350B
Old 04-26-2012
SOEC Member

Like Wiggy said, gears! Cheapest way to get get 'er movin!
Old 04-28-2012

I agree with the trick flow top end kit. Def will wake it quite a bit and one of the best bang for the buck top end kits just in the amount of extra parts in kit alone. Personally i would go with track heat version.

I dont know if u would want to go this route but on3 performance makes a great turbo kit for amazing price and have experience with kit and many other friends running kit with no issues with great power.

Just cpl things for u to think about and choose but heads will wake it up if u only go that route with what u have already.
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red
Old 05-02-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default heads

Is there any way to tell by looking at my heads if they are stock or maybe a gt40 or something???? they look stock but im not too familiar with 302's yet. this is my second fox. the first one i had for 1 month and all i did was put tires on it before i got rearended at a light and it was totaled. :(
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Motor is a 331 stroker (bored from factory block) Heads are stock with 3 angle valve job and new springs. Cam is a Trick Flow Stage 1 and it has 3.55 gears in the rear.
Old 05-02-2012
Suspended Account

I just put a 306 with the TFS top end kit and 24lbers, 70mm MAF, bigger throttle body, etc. I used my GT40 tubular intake because I bought the engine without the intake, it screams and makes great power for a street car. It will burn tires 1st through 3rd no prob. If you do heads you should also do injectors and bigger fuel pump and adj regulator and get a chip. The TFS kit is nice because it is all matched and tested, and they give you just about everything.
Old 05-21-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

yeah, this is a no brainer given the mods, get a used vortech s-trim or larger.
Old 05-21-2012

Spray it......cheap and effective.
Old 06-17-2012
Suspended Account

Default Imports

You have the intake and the cam your missing the right heads! Then put some juice on it. I would go any further then 373's if your going to drive it. If you do that they will be reading your license plate!
Old 08-22-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

So it has been a while since i posted on this thread but i got some new toys for #335.

AFR 185cc heads
comp cams XE282HR cam
underdrive pulleys
scorpion 1.6 roller rockers
chrome valve covers

I pulled the engine out last week and am slowly taking my time in checking the bottom end which is a 331 (finally know for sure) and putting on the new parts.
Old 08-22-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

any thoughts on the combo i picked up and wat i will expect to see

Last edited by $aleen#335; 08-22-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: posted twice
Old 08-22-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

I also had it dynoed so i could know the before and after hp and she pulled 233 rwhp and 287 lbft
I am going to get it tuned and dynoed again once i put the new parts on and hope for over 300
Old 08-28-2012

Hey lil list of parts u got there. Sorry have been working a lot and have not gotten on here too much. You will be really happy with that set up and should pull well over 300.
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red