The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 03-11-2009
SOEC Member

Default My Blue Racecraft

Here's some pictures of my 2008 Racecraft. Bought it new as a left over and got a great price. I really dislike leather so I was excited to find a left over 08 in cloth. Its GT Deluxe but has the Shaker system, interior appearance, etc etc. Its basically a Premium without leather. Sweet!

Old 03-11-2009
SOEC Member

I like the blue color. Congrats on the car.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 03-11-2009
Administrator

As Tony said... looks great in blue! As a side note: The 2008 RCs are fairly uncommon. Nice job on the purchase.

Not to go off-topic... but the best newsline is... MustangWeek Mike finally has a Racecraft friend on the website. Yay!
Old 03-11-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Beautiful looking car
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
521 Charcot Ave Suite #199
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 03-11-2009

Cool I almost got the blue but it had black stripes & this one kills that one.
You need one of these LOL

I had these made & I have a few extra.
Old 03-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepngli View Post
I really dislike leather so I was excited to find a left over 08 in cloth. Its GT Deluxe but has the Shaker system, interior appearance, etc etc. Its basically a Premium without leather. Sweet!
My trivia can be corrected... since I just listen and look.

Rumor had it that the 2008 RCs in White or Blue were a few of the Gurney Edition chassis' Saleen decided not to convert.

For the most part... the S197 Saleens from 2005-2008 were wing-delete, bright IUP dash, charcoal cloth, knockdown GTs with the interior options you mentioned. The 2007 Saleen 'Super GT' had a similar make-up. (Saleen added the OE GT trunk wing before pushing 'em out-the-door.)

There are exceptions. If you look at enough S197 S281s you will come by one here-and-there with a saddle or light smoke Ford plastic interiors with charcoal Saleen seats and what not. I believe the known dark IUP dash S281 was a converted dealer stock vehicle.

Like you, I've seen the 2009 RCs with factory Ford leather and Mike posted the Grabber one with the Ford glass top. Anyway... not sure how the knockdown vehicle specs changed for 2009.

I think I might have rambled.

Anyway. Yes, 'sweet!'
Old 03-12-2009
SOEC Member

Thanks guys! Really proud to be in a position to have on these cars. I love Saleens but typically I'm not into the numbering and body kits(I was looking for a DD, so it would just kill the value). However, this was a perfect blend of performance, style and price. I get excited to drive to work everyday.

Dave, not to look into this too much, but what does "Gurney" chassis entail? Would that explain why MWMikes put down such nice numbers or is that just Saleen underrating the car?

Edit: Seems like Mike did his homework. Any idea how many RC's were made in 2008 and 2009 and how many in blue?
Old 03-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Dave, not to look into this too much, but what does "Gurney" chassis entail? Would that explain why MWMikes put down such nice numbers or is that just Saleen underrating the car?
Not much. A base chassis marked for Dan Gurney conversion. The DGs fell into a weak market with dealer saturation. So, the few DGs Saleen Inc were able to sell to dealers... sat... other dealers had 2007 inventory sitting... so the 300 planned outnumbered the interest.

I don't think this is classified info... Jim was rambling the other day over the phone... and the topic of the unused DG GTs that sat outside under the snow of Troy came up. Seems one report placed one blue(?) GT coupe with a DG hood when it was shipped out. So... I guess one mysterious question would be, were any DGs in mid-conversion when the plug was pulled? If so... how were they finished if at all?

I take the the "420" in 420 S is the advertised horsepower? I have yet to recieve my RC material and I fail to read articles over the net sometimes.

Probably unrated. Maybe a way to save face for the more expensive S281s. Not to sound brash, but McCammon was just winging it. Maybe 420 sounded cooler?

Quote:
Edit: Seems like Mike did his homework. Any idea how many RC's were made in 2008 and 2009 and how many in blue?
There was a dealer on eBay that quoted the 2008 RC production numbers. MW Mike should have a better idea offhand. I would have to look it up and I don't know where to go.

It's safe to say most of what Saleen, Inc produced in 2009 are RC editions. RC production should be significantly higher with more variations in content. Both with the additional RC options and content differences in the base GTs used. Though, pure speculation.
Old 03-12-2009

From what I was told only 27 cars got made in 08.
I was told by Pro Dyno that my car really need to have the GT 500 pump upgrade before I could do any more mods to be safe. It was a bit lean on the top.
I would like to do the pumps, 60lbs injectors, pulley, CAI & a tune.
Dan said that should get me an easy 475 to the rear.
Old 03-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Staff View Post
From what I was told only 27 cars got made in 08.
Do you have the exterior color splits? Just wondering.
Old 03-12-2009

No I dont. I did run across another orange one in NC. Man the orange is HOT.
Old 03-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Staff View Post
No I dont. I did run across another orange one in NC. Man the orange is HOT.
I agree. We had an Grabber hued one here... and the color fit the styling. Though... I dig these silver stripes on the dark hued cars.

Any RC with the Ford Glass Top would be interesting as well.
Old 03-13-2009
SOEC Member

Dave and Mike, thanks for the info. Honestly, with Saleen's warranty non-existent now, I don't think I'll be doing anything to the car. I'd rather try to suck as much out of the Ford warranty as possible. If it wasn't a daily driver, I'd upgrade for sure.

Only 27?! Nice. really happy I picked this color. It was between red, white and blue(patriotic right?). The red was nice but had too many miles to be considered new. That dealer let anyone just go for a test drive it seems. The white was beautiful but I personally wanted something different. Didn't really see a blue in my searches so blue it was. Black is hot too tho. Not a fan of grabber orange.