The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-27-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 1997 GT modified by Saleen - What's it worth?

I have a 1997 S281 Convertible. It's a non-numbered Saleen. At the time, my wife wanted a purple Saleen, but Saleen didn't offer that color, So they ordered a Purple GT from Ford, had it delivered to Saleen in Irvine, CA, and we ended up with a purple Saleen. I think it's safe to say it's the only purple 1997 Saleen out there. It's got every upgrade and detail of any other 1997 S281 Saleen, minus the number. I'm thinking of selling it now. It's got 100K miles but is in perfect condition. Convertible. One owner. All maintenance records. Original sticker and original work order form Saleen. Again, it's in perfect condition. Anybody have a price range of what I might expect to get? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

Hi Zach and welcome to THE Saleen Forums @ SOEC.org!

It would be interesting to note that Saleen Performance of Irvine did offer the 1996 and 1997 serialized S281 in the Ford exterior hue Deep Violet. A few examples do exist in both standard S281 and Budget rental trim.

With this said, I would place the value of your '97 between the price of a comparable GT and serialized S281.
Old 05-27-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the reply Dave. You're right about the S281 with Deep Violet. There are a few examples out there. But I believe they're all hardtops. I may be mistaken, but Saleen only offered the Deep Violet serialized as a hard top, not convertible. My wife bought it long before I knew her, so I'd have to do some research and double checking, but I believe this is the reason they had to order a non-serialized car form Ford and have it built out. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

No problem Zach on the info! Yes, Saleen Performace did produce serialized S281 convertibles, Speedsters and Budget rentals in Deep Violet.

Maybe with more of a discussion, we can figure why your '97 went through the Parts Department. When did Saleen do the install?
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

I seem to recall a purple chassis that accidentally found its way onto the Fairbanks facility, and I believe it was eventually made into an S351 for Bill Miller. I believe it may have spent some time on the track.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

OH, and Welcome, Zach!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 05-27-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the replies guys. So here's some more info. The color on the window sticker is "Deep Violet Clearcoat Metal". The color code on the door jam is "JS"...which is Thickle. It was bought at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine. The invoice from Saleen for all the work has an order date of 11/26/96 and an invoice date of 12/23/96. I have all the invoices for all the work.
Could they have been out of this color and that was why it had to be bought as a GT and modified?
As a side note, does somewhere around $12,000 sound out-of-line? The KBB for a 97 GT is right around $7000. Not sure what to add for the Saleen modifications. Again, it's in perfect condition with every Saleen mod minus the number.
Thanks for your informed feedback. I wish I knew more.

Last edited by surf4zach; 05-28-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ape/index.html
Old 05-28-2010
Inactive Account

Chris is a good guy what happened to him?
Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wackett View Post
Chris is a good guy what happened to him?
I saw Chris and his wife and kids at the South Bay Mustang Club show in summer of 2008 with Joe Gosinski -- they've living back East somewhere, but come out to visit periodically. For those who don't know Chris, he got the first Saleen.com website online, and had a radical Opal Frost V6 Sport that he had converted into S351 trim. He also had a Mustang SVO or two, which I think is how I first ran into him.

I believe the car in the article is the former Bill Miller car, but I'm suffering from a faded memory. As I recall more about the story, Bill Miller wanted an S351 in a bad way, but his choice of available chassis was limited at the time. My buddy who worked at Saleen at the time talked him into the purple car, partly because it was unique and partly because it was a little outrageous.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf4zach View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. So here's some more info. The color on the window sticker is "Deep Violet Clearcoat Metal". The color code on the door jam is "JS"...which is Thickle. It was bought at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine. The invoice from Saleen for all the work has an order date of 11/26/96 and an invoice date of 12/23/96. I have all the invoices for all the work.
Could they have been out of this color and that was why it had to be bought as a GT and modified?
As a side note, does somewhere around $12,000 sound out-of-line? The KBB for a 97 GT is right around $7000. Not sure what to add for the Saleen modifications. Again, it's in perfect condition with every Saleen mod minus the number.
Thanks for your informed feedback. I wish I knew more.

Zach -- an immaculate condition genuine S281 convertible of a unique color might bring top dollar -- closer to your estimated $12K. Look around at the various cars for sale and see what they're asking, and if they're selling or not.

You never know, but to the right buyer, a tribute car might bring top dollar, too. Leave room to negotiate.

Saleen did a lot of "conversions" or "tribute cars" back then, and as I recall, the receipts would add up to $15K (though that might have been with a Supercharger). So it wasn't pocket change. You never get the mod money back, of course.

The tribute cars were generally done because someone got the new GT and decided they wanted to mod it, but instead of doing it themselves, they liked the look of the Saleen package. They generally were not done because a certain color was not available from Saleen -- it was pretty much always possible to find a certain color if a customer had cash in hand, even if it wasn't generally offered.

Tuttle Click Ford was a stone's throw from the Saleen Fairbanks facility, so the dealer may have even sold the customer on the Saleen package to sell a GT, meanwhile the customer didn't realize it may not bring the same money as a genuine Saleen.

If you want to scan or take photos of your receipts, it might be interesting to see them. I had a buddy who ran the install shop back then and I bet his initials would be on the work orders.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:

Not really. If Saleen did not have a Violet chassis in-stock. The customer could have either ordered a GT in the desired hue and Ford would have dropped-shipped the chassis to Saleen Performance for a serialized conversion OR a new unit would have been located in dealer stock and could have been converted into a serialized Saleen Mustang.

IE: In late 1996 Tuttle Click could have sent their 1997 Violet GT convertible to Saleen Performance before your purchase for a serialized conversion into an S281.

The documentation for your 1997 would be interesting to see. Installs preformed by Saleen Performance Parts slowed when XP production began in 1998. So, this is kinda' interesting.
Old 05-28-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

So looking over the paperwork, the only name I can find on the work order is Neil Chirico...if that rings a bell.
I told my wife what you guys had said about it not having a number...and that she should have been able to get it numbered. All she remembers is that at the time her father begged to have them build and number the car, but for whatever reason they wouldn't number it. The work order shows that it had 8 miles on it when it was brought into Saleen...driven straight from Tuttle-Click to Saleen. Wife says she doesn't remember any other details except that they wanted it numbered, but couldn't get them to number it.
The original work order is 9 pages long with everything from wheels and tires, ground effects, light bar, shocks, struts, springs, sway bar, air filter, exhaust, door panels, rear wing, etc...all the way down to a "Blazing Horse Jacket". Still have the jacket.
Who knows if I'll figure out why it's not serialized. Wife is pretty adamant that they begged to have it numbered but Saleen wouldn't. As she remembers it, they wouldn't number that color. But it seems they did have S281's in that color. So I wonder what the reason was?
Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

I know Neil quite well. He did run the install shop. In fact he used to sleep on my sofa sometimes when he worked Saturdays.

Since it was bought as a GT, it was to remain a GT.

I don't know if purple was a factor. I'll see if Neil remembers.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 05-28-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Picture

Here's a pic of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
1997 GT.jpg  

Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Who knows if I'll figure out why it's not serialized. Wife is pretty adamant that they begged to have it numbered but Saleen wouldn't. As she remembers it, they wouldn't number that color. But it seems they did have S281's in that color.

So I wonder what the reason was?
If the car was sold new as a GT to a private individual before going to Saleen Performance, this would explain why the vehicle was not serialized. Exceptions to this rule do exist here-and-there, but for the most part a serialized Saleen starts with a vehicle that doesn't have a title issued.

During the 1997 model year Violet was a standard production S281 color offered by Saleen. For the 1996 model year Violet was an optional Saleen hue for $700.00-$800.00 extra.

If Tuttle-Click sold the Mustang as a GT before sending it over to Saleen, this minor action could/would be the reason serialization did not take place.

By the photo, your convertible looks real pretty!
Old 05-29-2010
Administrator

No denying it -- that's a beautiful car!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 05-29-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks again for all the feedback. I've been running what you guys have been saying by my wife's dad to see what he remembers about not being able to get this mustang numbered back in 96/97. He said he went to Tuttle-Click and they had a Maroon Saleen on the floor. Only one they had in stock. But my wife wanted a purple one. They said they could order white, black, red, and blue to be made into a Saleen...but not purple. Hearing this, her dad left and drove the 2 miles down the road to Saleen. They also said they wouldn't number a purple one. He says Steve Saleen was actually in the shop and unwilling to build one as a numbered model. He would do another color, but not purple. So her dad asked, "What if I buy a purple one and bring it in?" They said no problem. They'd be happy to put a Saleen package on it, just no number. So he ended up ordering a purple GT from Tuttle-Click (they didn't have one so they ordered it from the manufacturer.) When it arrived at Tuttle-Click, someone from either Tuttle-Click or Saleen drove it the 2 miles to Saleen's shop and they started modifications. Her dad's pretty adamant that they would not number a car in that color for him. They offered him all the other colors...he checked with his daughter (my wife now)...but she really wanted purple...so they went with purple and no number. So that's...as far as I can gather...the most complete story I can gather.
On another note, do you guys have any recommendations on where I should list this car? Do you go the standard Car Trader route? Or do you concentrate more on places like the Orange County Mustang Club...eBay Motors...etc.
Again, thanks for all the stories and suggestions. You all know a heck of a lot more about these cars than I do.
Old 06-08-2010
Administrator

Quote:
On another note, do you guys have any recommendations on where I should list this car? Do you go the standard Car Trader route? Or do you concentrate more on places like the Orange County Mustang Club...eBay Motors...etc.
Have you placed an ad on this site? I would do this as well as the local Craigslist. Have you determined a price?
Old 06-08-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

I've posted it on Craigslist and eBay. I'm hoping to get around 10K for it but am willing to negotiate. I've gotten quite a few inquires on eBay in just the 24 hours or so that it's been up. No one has bid yet though. Do you think something around that price is in the general ballpark? I've got a reserve on eBay that's not quite that high.
Old 06-08-2010
Administrator

eBay is interesting. If say, a vehicle receives a high bid of $7,100.00 and it's a no-sale. That could stick in peoples minds as to what a vehicle is worth.

As to value, here's a thread discussing a S281 Cobra clone with equipment from SPP:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=7703
Old 07-21-2010
Inactive Account

Is this your car? Found it on Autotrader listed in Richmond VA

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=281679387
Old 07-21-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

That is indeed my car. I'm guessing it is some kind of scam being that I sold it 4 weeks ago for much more than it is listed for there.
I'll drop auto trader a note to see if they'll delist it.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2010

I can't stand all these Autotrader scams. It is really making Autotrader look bad. I have seen about 100 of these.
Old 07-24-2010
Inactive Account

Here is the follow up from the "new" owner

Quote:
hi Greg,
I had listed the car in various locations with in auto trader but the car is located and registered in Long Beach, CA. I had some discussions with eBay and they told me that they can help me and you to finalize this transaction fast and safe. I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them. eBay will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems. They will take care of the shipping and all the small details. You will get the car and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the car or not. If you won`t like my car (not your case) you notify eBay and you send the car back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce eBay to send me the money (payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay) and you keep the car.

eBay will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit. Please get back to me with your full name and full address so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice.

Wait your reply,
Ann Terrill
Quote:
-----Original Message-----
To: Ann Terrill
Sent: Fri, Jul 23, 2010 7:20 pm
Subject: Re: AutoTrader.com Alert - Someone is interested in your 1997 Ford Mustang for sale on AutoTrader.com

What # can I reach you at so we can work the deal

Ann Terrill wrote:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for being interested in buying my car 1997 Ford Mustang GT Convertible modified Saleen S281. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an 4.6L V8 engine, 104,000 miles, clear title, a perfect car. The price is not negotiable $3,450.00 firm. The only thing because i am selling it, because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car, now as a woman i don`t need it anymore ... I know that this is a low price for such a good car, but I need to pay some debts at the bank and I decided to sell my car. I hope that you will agree with my price and there will not be any argues regarding my price. I would like to complete this transaction asap, cause I need to pay the debts at the bank and I don't have so much time at my disposal. If you have any other questions, please reply me.

Regards,
Ann Terrill
Old 07-24-2010

So obviously a scam. These people insult my intelligence.
Old 07-27-2010
Account with Invalid Email

Interesting, you should give him a local police department address to drop off the car at.
Old 07-28-2010
Inactive Account

LOL, That would be a good one