The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Saleen Enthusiast News Enthusiast related news, corporate press releases, major announcements and their discussions.

Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Thumbs up Steve Saleen Presents: 2011 SMS 302 Mustang

by SOEC Staff

Steve Saleen presents: World Premiere of 2011 SMS 302 Mustang

Corona, California. (April 16, 2010) On the day before the 46th anniversary of the debut of the Ford Mustang, which was launched on April 17, 1964, Steve Saleen, the man whose name has become synonymous with high performance Mustangs, launched his most eagerly awaited SMS Signature Series cars, the 2011 SMS 302 Mustang.

SMS Supercars President and CEO Steve Saleen says: "Many automotive enthusiasts have embraced our SMS 570 Challenger, but I know our core fans have been waiting for the first Mustang to come from the new company, SMS Supercars. I am thrilled to be able to end the suspense today. With the new 5.0L 2011 Mustang arriving at dealerships shortly, it was appropriate for us to act swiftly and present our SMS 302 Mustang based on this early model year change. We know the 302 name will excite any Mustang fan as well."

After the successful launch of the 2010 SMS 570 Challenger in the Spring of 2009, the 2011 SMS 302 Mustang represents the second in the trio of SMS American Supercars, which will be followed by the introduction of the 2011 SMS 620 Camaro later this year. At first, two SMS 302 versions will be offered, the SMS 302 4V with a normally aspirated 5.0L engine, followed by the SMS 302 SC, using the patented SMS 296 Supercharger(TM).

Continues Steve: "Our line of SMS Mustangs will be the only Mustangs authorized to bear my name, to use the benefit of my heritage and to incorporate performance innovations derived from my over thirty years of racing and manufacturing experience. With the extensive design, development, manufacturing, certification and warranty coverage that we put into each vehicle, the government agencies all recognize SMS as the manufacturer of record for these cars."

Power
The SMS 302 4V utilizes the all-new normally aspirated twin overhead cam 5.0L V8 engine with over 440 hp and 400 ft-lb of torque. This is accomplished with an all-new 4-valve head design, a high flow exhaust system, an optimized pulley drive system, premium fuel calibration and performance filtration.

The SMS 302SC will pump out over 535 hp and 450 ft-lb of torque, thanks to the use of the SMS patent pending 296 Supercharger System with Asymmetric Multi-Lobe Screws, SMS Six-Pack(TM) Intercooler System and SMS patent pending Duo-Path Induction. Transmission options for both are a 6-speed Automatic or a 6-Speed TR3650 Manual. Performance The 2011 SMS 302 4V will accelerate from 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds and pass the quarter mile in 13.5 seconds at a speed of 116 mph. The SMS 302SC numbers are even more impressive with a 4.3 second 0-60 and a quarter mile in 12.1 seconds at 119 mph. Suspension Both SMS 302 models come standard with the new and unique SMS S4 High Performance Suspension, comprising of S4 Specific Rate Front and Rear Springs, S4 Front Struts, S4 Rear Shocks, S4 Front and Rear Sway Bars with High Durometer Pivot Bushings and the all-new SMS unique S4 Watts Link rear suspension.

Both models utilize Pirelli PZero High Performance 275/35ZR 20 tires on 20" x 9" 5-spoke alloy wheels at the front and 275/40ZR 20 tires on 20" x 10" 5-spoke alloy wheels at the rear. The brakes with ABS Cross Drilled Rotors, Powder Coated Calipers and High Performance Racing pads deliver impressive stopping power to match the jaw-dropping acceleration.

Design
The SMS 302 has a striking design that separates it from any other vehicle in the market. Chief Creative Officer of SMS, Phil Frank notes, "The SMS 302 is a dramatic, timeless and iconic visual statement that confidently leads the pack, continuing the evolution of the image of the SMS brand." The sculpted front fascia utilizes a high volume lower radiator intake with brake ducts and an integrated front splitter with ducting for supercharged models. The striking new hood differentiates the car with its chrome trimmed heat extraction grilles. Available for either model as an option is the patented SMS Red Butterfly(TM) Center Ram Air Induction which debuted in 2008 on the SMS 25th Anniversary Mustang Concept. Notes Steve, "When those butterflies crack open under throttle, people stop and stare." The bold side skirts echo the new Mustang's upper spear shape in the fenders while flowing seamlessly into the deep sculpting of the vented rear fascia. The high downforce rear diffuser includes a rear Formula One-style rain light in reference to Steve’s racing pedigree. The most dramatic element of the SMS 302 is the transformation of the rear of the car through the integration of the rear fascia, rear fender caps and the trunk lid spoiler; which creates a longer silhouette and its exotic car good looks and makes the SMS 302 unmistakably a Steve Saleen product.

Interior
The interior with all-new Alcantara and leather SMS performance seats with the patented Signature Series chevron stripes, two-tone leather chevron door inserts, a leather-wrapped billet aluminum shift knob and leather wrapped steering wheel set the SMS 302 apart from lesser offerings. Instrumentation features a 200 mph gauge cluster and a supercharger gauge pod with boost and charge air temperature gauges for the SMS 302 SC. Standard features include a color keyed center console, a powerful Shaker 500 Stereo with SYNC® and a 276 Watt amplifier, aluminum SMS door sill plates and embroidered model designated floor mats to give the interior its finishing touch.

Tailor Made Options
SMS offers it's discerning customers a wide range of SMS Tailor Made options, including a dozen unique show car paint colors such as Burnout Black, Tire Smoke White, Sour Grape Green, Plum Insane, Pineapple Express Yellow and Maliblue to name a few. Customers can further personalize their car’s interior in matching colors for the seat Signature Series chevrons and stitching if so desired.

Authenticity
Through the years, Steve's cars have become collector's items and many have held or even gained value due to their exclusivity and authenticity. After passing the extensive quality control and dynamic driving test, each SMS 302 is personally signed by Steve and then receives its matching serialized SMS VIN on the engine bay plaque, dash plaque and front bumper for authentication.

SMS 351X
While the SMS 302SC can win a fight with almost anything on the road, another legendary moniker is making its way back onto the road. Later this year, SMS Supercars will add the SMS 351X model. Says Steve: "with even more horsepower than the SMS 302SC, this supercharged beast will be the pinnacle performer of any production Mustang. More information on the SMS 351X will be released in the next few months."

2010 SMS 460 and 460X
SMS is in the process of completing the production run of 25 Limited Edition SMS 460 and 460X Mustangs based on the 2010 model year. These unique collector's items are powered by a supercharged 4.6L V8 engine. All of them are sold.

About Steve Saleen's SMS Supercars – Speed, Science and Style
SMS Supercars, a company founded by renowned race driver and automotive icon Steve Saleen, is a manufacturer of high-end lifestyle performance vehicles, technical performance parts, lifestyle accessories and apparel. SMS Supercars designs, engineers, tests, certifies, manufactures and assembles all of its own products and vehicles. SMS Supercars vehicles include the SMS 570 and 570X Challenger and the SMS 302 4V, 302SC and 351X Mustang models. The SMS 620 and 620X Camaro models will complete the trio of SMS American Supercars in 2010.

Tel. (714) 400-2121
www.smssupercars.com

SOEC, founded in 1991, is the premiere organization for Saleen owners and enthusiasts, with thousands of members worldwide.

Source: SMS Supercars and Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club

Exclusive portions of story © Copyright 2010 Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club
Freely distribute with proper credits
Link to this story at: http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?p=36080
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Much as I am a metric guy, I am glad they have gone back to cubes as the measure/name of a car. The SMS302 is going to look sweet next to my S302E! :)
1968 GT500KR #03655 "Shelby"
1990 Ford F250 4x4 7.3l IDI "Betty"
2001 Ford F350 4x4 7.3l "Lara"
2005 BMW F650GS "The Wasp"
2008 MINI Cooper S "Lola"
2008 Saleen S302E #11 "SallyX"
Old 04-16-2010
Inactive Account

Some picture please
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wackett View Post
Some picture please
I see photos.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Oh man, I'm in awe!!!
Old 04-16-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Really nice color, I wish I could see one in white or silver to totally appreciate the design, vents and scoops,etc.
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
Oh man, I'm in awe!!!
"Shock and Awe!!!"
Old 04-16-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
Really nice color, I wish I could see one in white or silver to totally appreciate the design, vents and scoops,etc.
See here for a bit more info as well as many high-res pics of both silver and blue cars: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/s...1-302-mustang/

In my personal opinion SMS is the ONLY take on the 2010+ Mustang to do a great job on the aesthetically troublesome rear end. Phil Frank and company did *very* well making the best of a less than ideal situation with the car's awkward upswept rear, IMO. From dead-on and side views, it's perfect, and from 3/4 views, etc., still the best job by far--just my $.02.

To me, both the looks and specs of these cars are fantastic. My kids can go to junior college, right? ;-)
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Bob, I couldn't disagree more. I really like the car. The front is great, the interior awesome. I also like the S281. But for the life of me, I just don't understand what Frank was thinking with the rear lower valance. What is that thing in the middle? Another brake light? A trailer hitch receptacle? A Poop Chute for the next Bond movie. Everything about the car is spot on except that detail.
Old 04-16-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDanimal View Post
Bob, I couldn't disagree more. I really like the car. The front is great, the interior awesome. I also like the S281. But for the life of me, I just don't understand what Frank was thinking with the rear lower valance. What is that thing in the middle? Another brake light? A trailer hitch receptacle? A Poop Chute for the next Bond movie. Everything about the car is spot on except that detail.
It's a rain light like on a race car. It's not my favorite detail of the rear treatment but I assumed it was there to center the eye--and perhaps even distract it--so for that reason I accepted it. The overall design of the rear is, to me, the best attempt I've seen to deal with a *really* troublesome aspect of the look of every 2010+ Mustang.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

OK, that makes some sense, but still looks out of place to me. Guess it's better than seeing Euro cars with that one brake light brighter than the others. Never understood that until I owned a Volvo S60!
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
See here for a bit more info as well as many high-res pics of both silver and blue cars:
Bob, thanks for posting the link to additional photos!

Quote:
In my personal opinion SMS is the ONLY take on the 2010+ Mustang to do a great job on the aesthetically troublesome rear end. Phil Frank and company did *very* well making the best of a less than ideal situation with the car's awkward upswept rear, IMO.
Very true Bob! With my bias "all" the other attempts recreate the Ford design flaw(s).

Quote:
To me, both the looks and specs of these cars are fantastic. My kids can go to junior college, right? ;-)
Yes!
Old 04-16-2010
Account with Invalid Email

My God, that rear end is just positively horrid.
2007 [COLOR=blue]Corvette [/COLOR]Z06
2009 [COLOR=green]Harley Davidson [/COLOR][COLOR=dimgray]CVO Springer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

here's my .02 cents....
Front end looks ok, but not great, don't like the chrome bezels aound the parking lights? Maybe a different color would make it look different.
Wheels look my 5 spokes on my extreme - I'm good with them.
302 graphics - too over the top - boy racer stuff. the door chevrons look much better and more subdued.
Side window looks good.
And the infamous back end... First a couple of personal thoughts... what possessed Ford to change a home run that they had with the 2005 -09 look? there isn't one car guy that I have run across that likes the 2010 rear end!!! Obviously they didn't ask the right focus group about the new design...
given that, it's has got to be a ***** of a job to try and pretty up the current design, and sorry to say, what SMS did wasn't any improvement. I'm not crazy about the back end treatments at all. Over the years, I've liked some mustangs and saleens, and some years I've not be happy with the designs (personal opinion). I personally think that the S197 versions are the best looking cars that Ford and Saleen ever designed, 2010 and beyond excluded. Overall, I wouldn't buy one, because I am extremely happy with my 07 extreme, but the drivetrain and performance is all Saleen and looks good on paper. can't wait to hear the specs on the up and coming S351X. I think that Steve will make this one a beast of all beasts!!!

Rick

2007 Extreme 0042
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
See here for a bit more info as well as many high-res pics of both silver and blue cars:
Now *that* is a beautiful sight:

(Mine is the one in the middle )

Chris.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Chris: I have to agree that pic is kick ***!!! You own the yellow S302E??? I have got to tell you... I love my white extreme, but when I decided to go Saleen instead of a C6 Z06, I really wanted to go with the S302E, but couldn't find one. As a matter of fact, at the time, there wasn't any extremes for sale for a while. I always wanted a white E, but never thought I would find one, until lo and behold, the good lord bestowed one available in SoCal. Very lucky, that I got almost exactly what I wanted, but don't get me wrong, I am not complaining one bit. Once I finish the tasteful mods this summer, I'm expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of approx. 550-575 rwhp. That should suffice. Life will be good. Are you going to be at Fabulous Fords this month???

Rick

2007 Extreme 0042
Old 04-16-2010

this being the base model its hot, i love the backend , looks finished with the wing added,
cant wait to see the top dog model when its launched
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctann View Post
Now *that* is a beautiful sight:

(Mine is the one in the middle )
A reminder of the "heritage." Are you ready to reclaim "SallyX?"
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Very cool pic Chris. Molly's Saleen is still one of the best looking around. (and the driver ain't bad either!)
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Anybody know if these are 2011's???

Didn't know they were in production yet. Might these be 2010's with the 4.6 and the 5.0 badging? Interesting that they're no shots of the engine bay. You'd think on a product launch they'd show that!
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Are you ready to reclaim "SallyX?"
I'm not sure if they're going to give her back to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
Are you going to be at Fabulous Fords this month???
Yup, I'll be there, and it will be the first time I have driven the car since last year! They've been tinkering with her to get the performance up to par - no word yet on the final results, but I can't wait to get back behind the wheel.

I totally agree with you on color - for me, it just had to be yellow, and just had to be an '08 - leaving me with a choice of exactly one Mustang... which I was lucky enough to snag.

Chris.

Last edited by ctann; 04-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Molly's Saleen is still one of the best looking around. (and the driver ain't bad either!)
My co-pilot's not bad either - the driver (thats me), not so much

Chris.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Here's the best "fix" for the rear end yet. I'm still on the fence on the round center exhaust. Really like the '05-'08 square centers, but I think this is the best effort yet. Clean, refined and classic all at the same time.

Of course, you know what they say about opinions!

Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Might these be 2010's with the 4.6 and the 5.0 badging?
Word is the Kona Blue car is a 5-Liter Ford prototype chassis. The Sterling Gray vehicle is a production car going to a dealer.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Thanks Dave. I wonder why no engine pics. I think, as do many others, that the new 5.0 engine compartment is pure art. I would think SMS could take that engine cover and do something really neat with it. Not that they won't, but it would've been nice to see.

My 17 yr old son just informed me that the new Mustang GT is "only" .1 sec slower than a new M3 0-60. And $33k less $$.

Has Ford got it right or what???
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Default Looks great!

I think the SMS car demonstrates the Saleen heritage through the design.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Looking forward to checking it out in person.
REDFIRE 2005 #880
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
My 17 yr old son just informed me that the new Mustang GT is "only" .1 sec slower than a new M3 0-60. And $33k less $$.

Has Ford got it right or what???
It seems like a great package for 2011. More so when you look at the factory Ford equipment one can add to a new 5-Liter GT. As the owner of one of the original "5.0" H.O. Mustangs, a 1985 model with 56,XXX miles, it was great to see the numbers and badges return. Given the impact these H.O. Mustangs made during the 1980s & '90s.

Though my new Saleen/PJ continues the 302 theme and dulls the 2011 Ford 5.0 news a tad. Shoot... when it was out two Saturdays ago... people thought it was "the new" Mustang anyways. High-five to Phil Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Saleen View Post
Looking forward to checking it out in person.
It should be noted that the 2011 SMS 302, 302 SC, and 351X can be ordered and purchased through ANY Ford Dealer across the U.S.

Last edited by Dave; 04-16-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Post merge.
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Though my new Saleen/PJ continues the 302 theme and dulls the 2011 Ford 5.0 news a tad.
Gosh, Dave, I don't think so at all!! The PJ is special. Totally different direction from the stock Saleen/SMS cars. It's a tribute after all and since Parnelli kicked some **** in a series that limited displacement to 302 in the BOSS302, it was just a terrific tribute car. Don't think it dulls the new 302 one bit. After all they are two totally different engines.

What '85 did you have? Our Editor for PoweRrr, Jason Smith has a beautiful 15k mile black GT T-topper. You'd DROOL!

Currently, me and some other SCOA'ers are restoring our VP's 85-127. That'll be a fine car when done. Come on over and take a visit to our projects section. Some cool stuff there!
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

That little thing on the back looks like it fell off of an RX-8. I like everything but the rear of this car... And what happened to the "butterflies" on the hood? Is that coming back in the upgraded models, maybe as an option, or was it a prototype thing they are wiping their hands of and just throwing the parts they have on the 460 and 460xs?

BELIEVE me, I really want to like this car... just don't know if I do...
Old 04-16-2010
SOEC Member

It was great event. Just got back to San Jose. I will post pics of the event later , since pictures of the SMS Mustang are online already

IMO I really like SMS Mustang because of designer Phil Frank. I enjoy seeing his designs come to life. Personally I like the extra LED light because it's different and it made me do double take when I saw the rearend. (Distraction from the Ford Rear end)

Plus the Kona Blue SMS Mustang reminded me of my old 2001 True Blue Saleen
(6/2005) Purchased 05 Saleen #1004 Windveil Blue from Galpin (9/2006) 14" Saleen Brakes, (7/2007) 475hp Supercharger, Guages, Watts Link Suspension, (10/2007) Rear Slotted Rotors, (2/2008) 19" TSW Wheels (Hypersilver), (1/2009) Super Shaker. (4/2012) Back to 20" Saleen Wheels

(10/2007 Morning) 414 RWHP 403 RWTQ w/ Stock Saleen SC Tune w/o Super Shaker (Sold 2/11/2018)

01 Saleen #629 (NA) True Blue (Sold 6/15/07)

SOEC#2092
SOEC#2129

Quick Video http://youtu.be/gkiCgwzJTFE

Last edited by Ponypinoy; 04-17-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

The sophisticated stylings are classic Steve Saleen/Phil Frank, and between the two there's a combined almost 40 years of styling Saleen vehicles.

Mark Vaughn of Autoweek has a nice writeup: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100419889

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Gosh, Dave, I don't think so at all!! The PJ is special. Totally different direction from the stock Saleen/SMS cars. It's a tribute after all and since Parnelli kicked some **** in a series that limited displacement to 302 in the BOSS302, it was just a terrific tribute car. Don't think it dulls the new 302 one bit. After all they are two totally different engines.
For me it does. I was a huge fan of the 2005 S197 Mustang when they debuted and had vague thoughts of a 2006 Vista Blue GT coupe way back. I'm also a huge fan of vintage Mustangs (and vintage automobiles in general), so the PJ doesn't make me dream for a 2011 5-Liter GT. Not a fan of the OE 2010-Present Ford styling. The PJ pulls like a freight train, sounds like a monster, gathers more attention than I know what to do with, and it's a Steve Saleen/ Phil Frank product.

My interest in vintage Mustangs go back to the mid-80s while my late-model following takes fire with the introduction of the 1987 GT and my Saleen bug starts with the 87-0001 press car and 1987 championship season with the General Tire SS/GT cars. The 1989 SSC made we buy every magazine and calender I could find that featured a photo. I feel comfortable knowing what a Saleen Vehicle is and what it's not.

Like all Mustangs, I respect the 2011 5-Liter, but have no interest in attaining one. Some could say an OE 1988 GT is faster or better than my '85. Or a '11 GT is quicker than a '07 PJ... but I've always felt every vehicle has a packaged personality, some speak to you... while others less so.

Quote:
What '85 did you have?
I have a solid top GT. Purchased in 09/1996 with 46,466 miles. Sits under a car cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumSTW3 View Post
...what happened to the "butterflies" on the hood? Is that coming back in the upgraded models, maybe as an option...
The Red Butterflies are an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypinoy View Post
Plus the Kona Blue SMS Mustang reminded me of my old 2001 True Blue Saleen
Ben, you need to place an order.

Last edited by Dave; 04-16-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Merge Posts.
Old 04-17-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Here's the best "fix" for the rear end yet. I'm still on the fence on the round center exhaust. Really like the '05-'08 square centers, but I think this is the best effort yet. Clean, refined and classic all at the same time.

Of course, you know what they say about opinions!

Wow! Everytime I see the commercial for this car on Speed Channel, I get weak at the stomach! What exactly was the thought process when they designed a cheap body kit, tacked it onto the mustang and called it "The Shelby GT350".

Back on topic: I love everything about the SMS Mustang 302, especially the rear. A great design, with flare in all the right places. That spoiler really does the trick and I like that little racing-inspired brake light down low. I've seen it on a few Euro vehicles, although I can't place exactly where. There seems to be a sort of inconsistency with the 0-60 and 1/4 times. However, I will gladly wait for Motor Trend, or a credible source to complete test figures and confirm the claims (although I'm expecting much quicker times).

Last edited by NeoS281; 04-17-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2010
Administrator

Sam Haymart just let us know he's got his story online:

http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ustang-debuts/

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 04-17-2010

Over 75 pictures posted! http://www.281motorsports.com/forum/...124&p=387#p387

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 04-17-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Over 75 pictures posted!
That's allot of photos, thanks for sharing your day!
Old 04-17-2010

Default Sms

I like it, some of the styling cues are a little offbeat on this car but it grows on you as you look at it more and more. The styling is definitely a departure (a good thing) from all 2010 Ford Mustangs. This is what we all learned from Saleen/Frank designed vehicles " they walk to a different drummer" so to speak. That is why we purchased these cars over the years they (the cars) are outside of the box.
It's good to see SMS enter back into the foray and I wish him luck with his endevour, although I think as far as the ecomomy goes it will be a tough go for any niche performance entity.
I think that Ford jumping on board is BIG as you can buy one of these cars at any Ford Dealership. THAT'S HUGE! The rest of the niche entities which I won't mention here because I don't wish to take away from the SMS launch can't say the same as they (it appears) don't have full dealership support. (interesting!) What are the prices for the 2011 cars?
Good Luck to SMS, SHARP MUSTANG!
Old 04-17-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Mineral Grey S281 View Post
What are the prices for the 2011 cars?
MSRP for the new line of SMS Mustangs:
SMS 302 4V Mustang Coupe $ 54,990.00
SMS 302 4V Mustang Convertible $ 59,990.00
SMS 302 SC Mustang Coupe $ 64,990.00
SMS 302 SC Mustang Convertible $ 69,990.00
Old 04-17-2010

Default Prices

Actually not as bad as I would have thought. On the 4V cars it actually about a 20K upcharge. Not as painful as I would have thought, I guess with the economy being as bad as it is, it makes everyone's purse strings a little tighter.
Old 04-17-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Mineral Grey S281 View Post
Actually not as bad as I would have thought. On the 4V cars it actually about a 20K upcharge.
Tough to compare. Here were the listed 2007 Saleen S281 MSRPs:
S281 3V Mustang Coupe $ 42,711.00
S281 3V Mustang Convertible $ 48,873.00
S281 SC Mustang Coupe $ 52,9719.00
S281 SC Mustang Convertible $ 57,881.00

Given the increase in the base cost for a 2011 5-Liter GT and the SMS 302 4V brake, wheel and tire upgrades (over the previous generation 281 3V) $54,990.00 is reasonable indeed.
Old 04-17-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I love it. I think it's awesome in pretty much everyway. The rear is a huge improvement. the bottom is very remenicent of the Ferrari F430 defuser

Old 04-17-2010
Inactive Account

I like it. Steve cleaned up what Ford messed up. The car looks balanced now.

THANK YOU ALL for keeping this thread on topic.
Old 04-17-2010

i have likes about both cars, and dislikes, but very little i dislike
both have turnd out great cars would be tuff to choose which one id want
Old 04-18-2010
Administrator

Default Videos

World Premiere SMS 302 Mustang April 16th 2010

Phil Frank Designer of the SMS 302 Mustang April 16th 2010

Old 04-18-2010
SOEC Member

Dave;

Thanks for the video's. The car looks awesome. I was unsure of the aggressive rear diffuser in the early renderings but seeing the produciton version with the race light really sets it apart from anything else out there. I wish there was a good shot of the guage package. I also like the idea of the 351 version. I assume a 351 cubic inch motor?

Only question is what happened to the butterfly hood vents that were depicted in the early renderings? I thought that was going to be a trademark SMS integration?

How the heck did Jim D. get in the middle of that one picture I saw? Probably a lot of jealous people out there!!!

Hopefully I will see one of the 302's up-close and in person soon!

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2010

Default SMS Rides are sweet

I agree with you "05 Mineral Grey". The more I look at these sweet rides, the more I like it. I think I will reward myself with one of these one day, and I'd still keep my S281 S/C forever as well.
I say excellent job Steve Saleen.
Old 04-18-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMcQueen View Post
Only question is what happened to the butterfly hood vents that were depicted in the early renderings? I thought that was going to be a trademark SMS integration?
Hi Bob! The Red Butterfly hood appears to have become an option for both the Mustang & Camaro. Standard on the Challenger.

Quote:
I wish there was a good shot of the guage package.
It might appear as though the gauge faces went back to white with black numerals. Per the 1994-2004 Mustangs.

Quote:
Hopefully I will see one of the 302's up-close and in person soon!
Visit Campbell Ford.

Last edited by Dave; 04-18-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Post merge.
Old 04-19-2010
SOEC Member

Dave;

Thanks again! Always a fan of the white guauge package. I did visit Niles, MI for a Gurney event. Although the dealer is quite a ways from home it looks like I will make a return appearance!
Old 04-19-2010

Talking Comparison

My take on SMS vs Saleen: I haven't studied the Saleen lately so I can't comment on the rear end as others have with the SMS. As to the front end, both have power domes on the hood. SMS is very tasteful and not too high unlike the Saleen. I think the dome on the Saleen is too high and out of proportion with the rest of the car. It looks like it got punched in the nose and is too thick. Other opinions?
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 04-19-2010

Default Sms302sc

Does anyone know if the 302SC will have forged internals? I presume it will as it's as powerful as the extreme and too powerful for standard internals.
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved