The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 09-24-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default non-SC S331 measurement

Can someone with a non-SC S331 please take a measurement for me? I need to know the diameter of your waterpump pulley.
Old 09-25-2009

Hey Shane...

I can do it but you might need to give me a little guidance. We both know that I am not the most mechanically inclined but I am glad to say that since got this truck I have been learning a lot. Mine started off as an N/A and throughout my mods I don't think that the water pump has ever been changed. Let me know...

Clayton
Old 09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdean View Post
Hey Shane...

I can do it but you might need to give me a little guidance. We both know that I am not the most mechanically inclined but I am glad to say that since got this truck I have been learning a lot. Mine started off as an N/A and throughout my mods I don't think that the water pump has ever been changed. Let me know...

Clayton

Dean,

You can just take the measurement across the pulley to get a diameter or, take a string and wrap it around the pulley end to end and then measure the length of string. If you give me that measurement, I will do the math.
Old 09-25-2009

As dumb as I might be about cars I do know what a diameter is...

the part I need guidance on is which one is the water pump pulley...
Old 09-25-2009

ohh...

its the big one right below the SC pulley. The one below it is the crank pulley.
Old 09-25-2009

Sorry about that, I guess I should have specified.

Give me a second... I'll go out and have a look-sy.
Old 09-25-2009

If it's the one that below and to the right of the SC pulley then the circumference is 16" so the diameter is 5.09". This one is connected to my "fixed" mechanical fan assembly (Thanks Saleen!)

If it is the one that is below and to the left then the diameter is ~3 (9/16)" - 3 (5/8)". This one sits more above what I think is the idler pulley. Sorry about my lack of knowledge but hopefully this helps.

Let me know if there is anything else...
Old 09-25-2009

Dean....the 5.09" one is the waterpump pulley. The first pulley to the left of the sc pulley is just an idler. The one below it attached to, what looks like an arm is the belt tensioner pulley. The one below and to the left of that one is the AC pulley.

The alternator sits on the front of the engine and faces away from you. The two pulleys down and to the right of it are both idlers. The one on the bottom and the far right is the power steering pump pulley.

Thanks for getting me those measurements. According to Saleen the non SC trucks got a smaller waterpump pulley. However, mine, from saleen came the small one too. I am wondering if that contributed to my belt slip when my truck was stock.

Last edited by Light02atl; 09-25-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2009

Thanks for the insight. I was mistaking the tensioner assembly for the idler pulley. I have changed an alternator before so I knew what that was but the rest was a mystery to me. If you learn something new everyday then I guess I can call it a day for today!

Glad I could help. I know that there was an option for an upgraded alternator on these trucks but wasn't aware of the (apparently alleged) difference in water pump sizes. Is this something I should look into upgrading or since it seems that I haven't had any issues with it is it something that is fine the way it is?
Old 09-25-2009

dean,

what size SC pulley do you have and what length belt?
Old 09-25-2009

right now i have the 3.2 but i can't comment on the belt size...

i don't notice any slippage though. throttle response is good and i don't see any discoloration from the belt rubbing or hear any odd noises from under the hood.
Old 09-25-2009

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

If you are running the troyer kit, you kept the 112" stock belt. I was getting belt slip with my 3.87" SC (stock) pulley and stock belt. When I put the 3.2" pulley on, I was getting even more belt slip.

Now that I have put a 5.5" waterpump pulley on, I am not getting any slip...no crazy noises...yet.

That all being said.....how much boost are you making? (datalogged) Troyer is seeing anywhere from 7.3-10.3 on different trucks with the 3.2" pulley. He is looking into the belt slip issue and waterpump pulley issue right now.
Old 09-25-2009

7.7 with the enlarged exhaust...

I have the JDM kit but the shop supposedly replaced the belt with a smaller one when they installed it. This was the trip where I had the intercooler, exahust, Stage I kit, and their (not JDM) tune put on. I am fairly sure that they did change the belt because I remember finding a belt box in my truck but I didn't think to look and see what size it was before tossing it...
Old 09-25-2009

dean,

can you email me the pics of your exhaust again....I have been looking all over for them.

light02atl@yahoo.com