The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-16-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Buying Supercharger - Which brand is for me?!?!

Hi guys,
I hope my saleen family here is doing good, blazing their streets in their beautiful saleens.

I need your help. I am at the process of buying a supercharger, but there are so many to choose from. I obviously want the most power, price can be anything under $5000. I looked into Vortech, Procharger, Saleen Supercharger, but can't get enough information. What is the supercharger for me?
P.S: It doesn't matter if it is not street legal. I want power, yet enough balance to keep the engine running good.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

they are all going to give you performance, however if you like the instant punch on the street roots or twinscrew plus i think you get a way nicer oem look and feel. you cant beat the noise of a roots or a pullied up twin screw.

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 10-16-2010
SOEC Member

TWINSCREW is the only way to go!
But If your NOT dead set on keeping it OEM then I would go this route:

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...2v/gt96-04.htm

'03 SC Coupe (1 of 2) 380hp / 400tq @ 12lbs boost 18x10" rear wheel option
13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!
Old 10-16-2010
SOEC Member

Couldn't agree more. Twinscrew. Kenne Bell!!!
Old 10-16-2010

Default 14 psi

OMG, that is the one. I can't believe how many horses it pushes. It is a reliable supercharger right? Kenne Bell, I heard of them, but never really considered them.
Old 10-16-2010

Kenne belle......
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator

I believe the Saleen Series IV (& V) are no longer offered to the aftermarket.
Old 10-16-2010

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...10-1607-B11250

http://www.blowbyracing.com/99saseivsu.html

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1...r_kits/saleen/

thats if you want something similar to OEM. Kenne bell is awesome though!!
Old 10-17-2010

Default Thanks Guys

Now I know where to go with my car. Really appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2010
SOEC Member

Kennebell!
Old 10-18-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayder_K View Post
I obviously want the most power, price can be anything under $5000.
Are you going to be doing the installation and tuning yourself? If so, $5k will probably not be enough money for the Kenne Bell.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 10-18-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
Are you going to be doing the installation and tuning yourself? If so, $5k will probably not be enough money for the Kenne Bell.
Speaking from Experience 5k is not enough money for a Kenne Bell. To stay under 5k and have the car tuned you should look for a clean used supercharger. There are used 1.7L Kenne Bell superchargers for sale and some 2.1L out there. Be patient and check the forms on different Mustang Websites.
Old 10-19-2010

Default ****

But I understand, a lot has to be done to make it compatible. So can u breakdown the price for installation, and the supercharger itself, and the neccessary parts.
Old 10-19-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
But I understand, a lot has to be done to make it compatible. So can u breakdown the price for installation, and the supercharger itself, and the neccessary parts.
For starters I recommend calling Kennebell to see if you can get an installation manual and parts list. The amount of work and parts varies pending if you buy the the non intercooled system or the system with the intercooler (recommended).

The price on installation depends on the shop. Always plan to have more money than the shops estimate. You also need to consider your clutch,can it handle the added power and torque,your fuel system will require a larger fuel pump if its stock. I have a Kennebell 2.1L and know from experience.

Just trying to help!
Old 10-20-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
I know for the full Tork Tech kit (supercharger, etc)....you should plan for at least around 10 hours of labor for installation. I'd imagine installing the kenne bell would be a similar timeframe.

Don't forget the fact that your car will have to be dynoed and tuned too. KB would be more than $5k. I considered that route at one time.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
Old 10-20-2010

I have a Kenne Bell 2.1 and love it. Makes great power at 9lbs. No complaints here
2004 S281 #50 - 492 rwhp, 494 rwtq (Sold)
1997 Viper GTS #123 (Sold)
1996 S281 #63 (Sold)
2000 S281 #108 (Sold)
1993 Cobra #2302 (Sold)
Old 10-23-2010

Default Thanks Everyone

Really appreciate the knowledge. I am leaning towards the Kenne Bell at the moment, but I guess I should look into it more before dropping the money into it.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2010

have you considered a turbo kit? more HP, less money and the response is fast (not like the turbos of old). checkout hellion turbo kits before making your decision. i've checked a lot of options and that's the way i'm going!!!
Old 10-27-2010

For value, get the 3-core intercooled P1SC tuner kit. Get a MAF, injectors, and a Focus fuel pump. Tune and have fun.
Old 10-28-2010

tork tech tvs is also a really good set up.

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 10-28-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
tork tech tvs is also a really good set up.
haha....yes, but not for under $5k.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 10-31-2010
SOEC Member

Ford Racing Whipple for me!!!!
Old 11-01-2010
SOEC Member

Unfortunately, the Ford Racing Whipple won't mount on the 4.6 2v....lol
Old 11-01-2010
SOEC Member

But the Whipple fits on my 4v, once I get the money to do the upgrade... LOL!!

Old 11-01-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

kenne bell
Old 09-05-2011

Default Supercharger Help

Hey everyone, sorry to bother again. I actually am taking strides to get my supercharger now. I gave up on trying to get a series 5 supercharger, way too difficult. So, I decided to go with this company called Torktech, or I might just go with Kenne Bell.
So I went to a shop and they told me that I shouldn't get a supercharger. They kept telling me to get a turbo, and they wouldn't let me express how much a supercharger was the way to go for a Saleen.
So he told me that a supercharger is bad for the engine and it is unreliable, it will cause constant hardship on the engine, and just kept trying to make me not get one.

Can I get your guy's opinion, I really don't want a turbo, but I do want something that will be reliable and not too hard on my baby.

Please help
Old 09-05-2011
SOEC Member

I see that you are in Stockton... not far down the raod from me...lol I don't think you will find a CA legal Turbo kit for your car. I don't know that a supercharger is bad for your car...lol Too much boost is definitly bad... However, both the TT kit and the KB kit are good, but I found the TT kit is a bit cheaper than the KB kit. However, the last I spoke to TT, they did not want to get the EO number for the CA smog cert, so technically it isn't legal. However, not many know what a Saleen is let alone what SC is on them and there are CA cars wheeling around with them. I would call TT and get the skinny directly: http://www.torktech.com/. The KB kit is a bit pricier, but has the CA smog cert. In any event, either of these kits makes more power than your stock shortblock can handle... Good luck.
Old 09-05-2011

go kb, tork tech is expensive and its just a lot of work to get the kit 100%, kb run like 8-9psi on 400hp and you will be very happy!
Old 09-05-2011

I'm trying for 550 to 600 hp. But I want reliability also. It's kind of like a best of both worlds kind of thing.
Old 09-05-2011
SOEC Member

Without forging the bottom end you should stick around the 400-450hp range. You can always do what I did and swap it for a 4V 03 S/C Cobra engine. I am at 500hp with alot of room for growth. I am looking at a Whipple to get into the 600+ range.
Old 09-06-2011

With the current 2 valve engine I have, if I forge the pistons, would I be fine for 550-600 hp, without putting too much on the engine? I guess what I am asking is what do I need to do, without swapping out the current engine, what should I do to get a good solid relaible engine.
Old 09-06-2011

You are gonna need to swap drivetrain for that sort of power anyways. Not only are you gonna have to forge the block (getting an aluminator block may be a better route) but you will need to change your transmission to something that can handle that sort of power (like a T56). If you are gonna build it to try to get that sort of power id highly recommend using some trickflow 2v heads as well.
Old 09-06-2011

**** buddy, and do u know how much I would be dropping for all that, without any supercharger?
Old 09-07-2011

5-10 grand closer to ten after parts labor and such especially with a t-56. your better off pushing 400hp on a 2v, or buying a 03/04 cobra with a built motor, most built 2valves become show cars and have 20k dumped into em. its gonna be a lot of money at the end of it, when your better off ditching the 2v, or the car all together...
Old 09-07-2011

What if I upgrade to a 5.1L like this? Does this even help?

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ort-Block.html
Old 09-08-2011
SOEC Member

Nice stroker kit... 10.5:1 compression, so you can't use much boost. Not sure if they have a lower compression version. You still needs better flowing heads and a better transmission... With ported stock heads, you are still looking at around 8 grand without the SC. Just need to come to terms with, serious power needs serious dollars...
Old 09-11-2011

****. This is hard. I think I'll just take it slow, rebuild my engine from the ground up. I think the first thing I'll do is the t56, but does it come for the 5 speed. I see a lot of 6 speed ones.
Old 09-13-2011
SOEC Member

The T56 is a 6 spd. Good transmission, but there are heavy duty 5 speeds from companies like Tremec. Although it is nice to have that other gear for cruising.
Old 09-13-2011

Quote:
**** buddy, and do u know how much I would be dropping for all that, without any supercharger?
To have it set up to be reliable it will be in the 15-20k range for about everything especially if you don't do it yourself. Forged shortblock,heads/cams if you don't want to limit yourself later,fuel system,transmission,clutch, etc. Not to mention the dynotune and probably gauges. Gets really expensive.
Old 09-13-2011

Default Tremec Huh

I'll definetely look into this. I think I'll start by getting a BBk cold air intake. I don't like the look of the K&N one.
Old 09-15-2011

het rayder i just finished the install on the kenne bell 2.1 kit last week the kit cost 4995.00 with tuning i didnt get the tuning because theres a shop a 1/4 mile from my house in nh that does tuning so i went that way. i still have the stock throttle body on the car but had to upgrade mass air meter 265.00 and cold air intake 230.00 and my guy charged me 200.00 for tuning. car put down 400 hp at the wheels and 410 tq the kit comes with full easy to read instrctions go kb you wont be disapointed. 400hp was consearitve we could have got more but 400 is pretty good hugh upgrade from the stock 281hp hope this helps
Old 09-15-2011

That's pretty good, to be honest. It is a quick way to a supercharger. I think I'll take a longer approach now, thanks to all the information I have been getting from everyone. I really want 500+ horses, so there will need to be a couple of mods to do this correctly
Old 09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth3423 View Post
het rayder i just finished the install on the kenne bell 2.1 kit last week the kit cost 4995.00 with tuning i didnt get the tuning because theres a shop a 1/4 mile from my house in nh that does tuning so i went that way. i still have the stock throttle body on the car but had to upgrade mass air meter 265.00 and cold air intake 230.00 and my guy charged me 200.00 for tuning. car put down 400 hp at the wheels and 410 tq the kit comes with full easy to read instrctions go kb you wont be disapointed. 400hp was consearitve we could have got more but 400 is pretty good hugh upgrade from the stock 281hp hope this helps
Who tuned it and what pulley are you running?
2004 S281 #50 - 492 rwhp, 494 rwtq (Sold)
1997 Viper GTS #123 (Sold)
1996 S281 #63 (Sold)
2000 S281 #108 (Sold)
1993 Cobra #2302 (Sold)
Old 09-16-2011
SOEC Member

500HP Mod - 03/04 Cobra S/C

Old 09-16-2011

i got it tuned at pro tree performance in hudson nh the owner dana is really good he pretty much only builds mustangs hes done some pretty sweet rides. i'm running a 9lb pulley that came with the kit