The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-30-2020
Saleen Forums Participant

Question Q: Rear differential sounds?

Hello,

I own a 1999 S281 SC Speedster with 92k miles. I’ve been hearing a rumble type sound when decelerating and noticeable at very low speeds. I had the outer axle bearings replaced thinking that was the problem, but the noise is still there. Could this be caused by a worn preload pinion bearing or something else? The car has the 3.73 gears.

I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,

Lou R.
1999 S281 SC Speedster #99-310
Old 07-03-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Rear gear noise

Do you know if you have the MaxGrip? I know that some thought that end-cap bolts worked their way those on some. First isolate the noise at rear end and once confirmed get in there and check things out. Given mileage not a bad idea to have the rear end serviced, there you can check for metal shavings, fill with new oil and reseal. If there is a problem, to re-gear/lash/shim it is not that expensive. You can either go with the same or go lower. I would probably keep stock to keep speedo accurate. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-03-2020
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStallion View Post
Do you know if you have the MaxGrip? I know that some thought that end-cap bolts worked their way those on some. First isolate the noise at rear end and once confirmed get in there and check things out. Given mileage not a bad idea to have the rear end serviced, there you can check for metal shavings, fill with new oil and reseal. If there is a problem, to re-gear/lash/shim it is not that expensive. You can either go with the same or go lower. I would probably keep stock to keep speedo accurate. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna have it checked by my mechanic. I only drive the car on weekends during the summer. Is there any risk of further damage if still drive it until I’m able to get it resolved?
Old 07-03-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Rear end noise

If you hear some grinding anywhere on our car while you are driving it, I recommend not using it until you know exactly what the issue is and fixing it. Not worth having to pay more money if it is in a "fixable" or addressable condition now. A good mechanic should be able to isolate the noise quickly. Oh check your tires too for nails...sometimes you can have an object in one that can make noise under slow driving conditions. It literally can be anything so don't tear anything apart until you are sure. Good luck, let us know.