The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2004-2005 Focus N20 and S121
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2004-2005 Focus N20 and S121 Just for the Saleen N20 and S121 Focus cars.

Old 08-03-2021
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Any interest in after-market TSW wheel clips?

I have been communicating with a retired machinist about making some replacement TSW clips for my, recently acquired, S-121 in his home shop.
He works T/M and is reasonably priced for his experience but still aint cheap!

As it turns out, the cost of having him make 4 or 5 (always nice to have spares) is about half the cost for making molds to produce many. Thus I am curious if there is enough interest to risk funding said molds and having him crank them out many at a more affordable cost..win win for me and the remaining 280 some owners.

My plan is that I would ship him (He is state-side) one of my clips for a template then fund the cost and hope to recoup my investment, and take one more part off the endangered species list.

So I would ask for feedback regarding the following 4 Qs:

1) Would you be interested in aftermarket clips?
2) If yes, how many do you think you would be interested in acquiring?
3) What is your maximum price to pay for 1 clip?
4) what is your maximum price to pay for a set of 4 clips?

The reason I ask about maximum price is because I know we all want to get one for a buck fifty, so no point asking lowest desired price. By understanding what the market will pay, drives how many I would need to have produced. IE if only 10 people are interested at paying $10 each, then its a losers game. But if there is a potential commitment for 200 at $15 or $25, or more, then it becomes worth the risk that I wont end up with a box of these in my garage and eating Ramen Noodles for a month. Plus, the cost can go down if there is heavy interest.

I'll try to check in every few days to see how its going.
'87 #93 Mustang Conv
'05 #53 S-121
Old 08-26-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

They are available

https://www.centercapsdirect.com/TSW...ps_p_8683.html
Old 08-28-2021

Default waiting list

"Possibly available" is a more likely answer...
I would be curious how long anyone has been on the waiting list.

Thanks for the reply but it appears there is no interest so I will likely commission my own set or modify a lynch pin to fit.
'87 #93 Mustang Conv
'05 #53 S-121
Old 08-28-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Yeah, I don't know how long that list is. Just sharing the link. I'm actually interested in a set if you get them made for under $100 for 4. I would powder coat them red though.
Old 08-29-2021

Ooh, not a bad idea. I didn't even think to PC to match the car.
I plan to chat with the guy a bit more about his process and if he will need to locate a 'base' lynch-pin then mod a new spring, or if he plans to mfg the entire piece.

I'll post with updates that may be a long way out, but I gotta think there are at least a fair number of Focus, and TSW owners who would be seeking these. I plan to remove these rims and store them until a show or such. Owning a 2nd gen Saleen Mustang for 25+ years, I understand the value of impossible-to-replace original equipment.
thanks for the reply
'87 #93 Mustang Conv
'05 #53 S-121
Old 09-02-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
Ooh, not a bad idea. I didn't even think to PC to match the car.
I plan to chat with the guy a bit more about his process and if he will need to locate a 'base' lynch-pin then mod a new spring, or if he plans to mfg the entire piece.

I'll post with updates that may be a long way out, but I gotta think there are at least a fair number of Focus, and TSW owners who would be seeking these. I plan to remove these rims and store them until a show or such. Owning a 2nd gen Saleen Mustang for 25+ years, I understand the value of impossible-to-replace original equipment.
thanks for the reply
I was noticing on my racecar this weekend, that the hood pins (Sparco slide type), not the removable clothes pin style, are extremely similar to the locks on the wheels. Also, tractor supply had trailer hitch pins that may work as a starting point instead of machining the thing from scratch. I will keep looking.
Old 09-04-2021

Yep, these are a classic lynch pin design with a custom ring clip. There's a site that specializes in selling them but dont recall name.
I could mic the dimensions to see if the pin is standard, I suppose, then buy and try to modify.

I am sending one of my pins to the machinist and he will evaluate and estimate what best option to make about 50. ... we shall see...
Thx!
'87 #93 Mustang Conv
'05 #53 S-121