The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-06-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Modifications for 2002 S281 SC?

Looks like I will be purchasing a 2002 sc car soon and was wondering about mods. Where is the go to place to purchase pulleys, intakes, etc for these cars? And what would be the best bang for the buck as far as mods on these cars? And are they able to be tuned through a handheld tuner and e-tune or does it need to by dyno tuned? Who is the best tuner for these cars? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017

It's a slow forum so try Facebook as well for input.

I just bought a 00 and after researching it I won't spend anything on blower mods, they just aren't worth it and I'll just replace the unit with a 2.3 whipped or gt500 take off.

First I'm doing cams, long tubes and suspension work along with a tune. You should buy a SCT tuner, it's the best choice.
Old 07-12-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I think you need to start with the fact that 2v modular 4.6's will only put up with about 400rwhp safely.
So IMO, cams and blower swaps are pointless.

Anything on the intake side needs a tune.

Smaller blower pulley, idler, CAI and a tune should do it.
Maybe a better heat exchanger.

When possible, always avoid mail order and go for a real dyno tune.

As for sinner's plan, I can appreciate the enthusiasm, but on a stock bottom end, all that will leave you with is a broken engine and empty pockets.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 07-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
I think you need to start with the fact that 2v modular 4.6's will only put up with about 400rwhp safely.
So IMO, cams and blower swaps are pointless.

Anything on the intake side needs a tune.

Smaller blower pulley, idler, CAI and a tune should do it.
Maybe a better heat exchanger.

When possible, always avoid mail order and go for a real dyno tune.

As for sinner's plan, I can appreciate the enthusiasm, but on a stock bottom end, all that will leave you with is a broken engine and empty pockets.
There's no risk of breaking the motor with my minor mods as long as the tune is good. The 2V is a slow motor unless it's built and with a better blower so I'm only doing cams and exhaust because I love 2V sound.

While a heat exchanger is good, it's only beneficial with the intercooler as well. Both still suck and will heat soak really easily.
Old 07-12-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
There's no risk of breaking the motor with my minor mods as long as the tune is good. The 2V is a slow motor unless it's built and with a better blower so I'm only doing cams and exhaust because I love 2V sound.

While a heat exchanger is good, it's only beneficial with the intercooler as well. Both still suck and will heat soak really easily.
You consider a whipple 2.3 or a gt500 blower swap minor mods?

With that said, I don't think there is a whipple for a 99-04 (other than cobra or mach1).

I'm not sure if they even make a kit to put a gt500 supercharger on a 2v, probably not, even if they did, it's not worth the trouble on a real saleen as for it intakes on the drivers side.

I understand the desire for the cammed sound, I really do considering I own a terminator converted foxbody, but it's still expensive and complex (it's not like just slapping a cam in a pushrod engine) all for sound...

Even if your mod list did work, it's thousands (I figure $5000+) of dollars in parts and even worse if you have to pay labor.
All for what? The 50rwhp the saleen sc comes up short of 400?

I'd seriously suggest you do some more research before you invest any money in the parts you are thinking about using.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 07-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
You consider a whipple 2.3 or a gt500 blower swap minor mods?

With that said, I don't think there is a whipple for a 99-04 (other than cobra or mach1).

I'm not sure if they even make a kit to put a gt500 supercharger on a 2v, probably not, even if they did, it's not worth the trouble on a real saleen as for it intakes on the drivers side.

I understand the desire for the cammed sound, I really do considering I own a terminator converted foxbody, but it's still expensive and complex (it's not like just slapping a cam in a pushrod engine) all for sound...

Even if your mod list did work, it's thousands (I figure $5000+) of dollars in parts and even worse if you have to pay labor.
All for what? The 50rwhp the saleen sc comes up short of 400?

I'd seriously suggest you do some more research before you invest any money in the parts you are thinking about using.
The upgraded blower isn't a minor mod and I wouldn't do that until I built the motor. My point is that the stock blower isn't worth throwing money at but just do the mods you'll enjoy.

You can buy a kit that includes a manifold to bolt a 2.3 whipple onto the 2v that cools better then the saleen blower. There is also the torque tech kit as well that uses a better blower.

I've done my research and know exactly the path I'm taking. I won't be spending money on the saleen heat pump and I'll enjoy the car as is until my ready to build the motor and run a better blower.
Old 08-08-2017
SOEC Member

with the way horsepower has progressed these days I'm of the mind that it's better to upgrade the motor/blower/etc rather than throw money at a car with a series II eaton supercharger.

....unless you like that sweet sweet roots style supercharger whine.

for the same money you could spend on a new intercooler, heat exchanger, etc. you could just replace the blower and then get to 400 rwhp. anything over that is overkill imo because you just can't put it down to the ground that well even with suspension modifications.

just thought I'd weigh in super late to the conversation. I've spent my fair share of money on upgrading my car. It has been fun and finally made the car into something way better than it was from the factory but it cost a pretty penny to get there and even now it's still not better than a lot of sports cars these days.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates