The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-31-2010
Suspended Account

Here's mine. Quality is OK, not great, but I am picky. Also took about 1 month to have made and ship. As with other aftermarket gauges that I've had the illumination isn't 100% dispersed evenly, but again, I'm picky.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0049a.jpg  

Old 05-31-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG View Post
Here's mine. Quality is OK, not great, but I am picky. Also took about 1 month to have made and ship. As with other aftermarket gauges that I've had the illumination isn't 100% dispersed evenly, but again, I'm picky.
That looks pretty **** good. I might have to order that overlay. Does the white have any silver metallic to it. I noticed the stock one has small particles of metallic. I might try that, but with silver faces. Thanks for sharing! I found a picture on their website where the silver is actually silver metallic. I think it looks great.

***This is the only current solution for 99-04 Saleen owners that their cluster goes bad. Get a Cobra, Mach 1, or GT cluster and use this overlay plate. With the Cobra cluster, you will at least get the 160mph speedo.

Last edited by apicia; 05-31-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2010

http://www.caribbeancustomdesigns.co...&products_id=1

Here is the link to the options for a plate being made.
Old 05-31-2010

Quote:
What illumination colors did you choose? How about other options? I want to order one today, but knowing your option choices will help a lot!
Old 05-31-2010

Glow looks pretty good. Maybe the SALEEN can light up too.

Old 05-31-2010
Suspended Account

The white is pretty much white...no metallic.

This is what I ordered:
Factory style
White backround
Dial color - same as illumination
illumination color - green backlite
SALEEN logos
150mph
8k rpm

The do charge an extra $50 for the Saleen logo. Have no idea why...but like you said...there's not many other options out there.
Old 05-31-2010
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by apicia View Post
Glow looks pretty good. Maybe the SALEEN can light up too.
Yes, the SALEEN does light up.
Old 05-31-2010

Quote:
Dial color - same as illumination
Did you call or order online? When I put SALEEN into the logo section, the price did not go up in the cart. Maybe they changed their price policy?

I also worry about Dial Color. Choosing "same as illumination" would mean the numbers and lines are green? Yours look black?
Old 05-31-2010
Suspended Account

Hehe, I had all the same questions when I bought. The price won't go up in the cart, they will add it. I called after I ordered online, that's how I learned about the $50 cost.

"Same as Illumination" - your right, the numbers and lines will be green but they are very dark so they pretty much look black when the lights are off.
Old 06-01-2010
SOEC Member

Here is an email that I received from SIMCO:

Simco Ltd wrote:

Hi Tim,

We produced the graphics only for the Saleen instrument clusters. What
model year is your Saleen? Is the cluster your talking about from the
original vehicle or did you purchase it aftermarket?

Best Regards,

Susan Grove
Inside Sales

Check us out at: www.SimcoLtd.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 10:36 AM
To: Simco Ltd
Subject: RE: [Simco Website] General Feedback

Susan,

Thanks for responding back so fast. I have the original gauge overlay but
they are on a original 2001 GT cluster. I have the original cluster from the
Saleen but it wouldn't work in my car because of the PATS system. I just swapped
overlays. I heard that maybe your company has the modules that make the
speedometer sweep the 200mph overlay correctly? Any help you may give would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Simco Ltd wrote:

Hi Tim,

No, we don't have that capability. Putting a Saleen cluster in a GT involves a lot more than just calibrating and programming.
You might be able to talk to someone at a Ford dealership that could give some advise. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Maybe try talking to the guys at www.Redlinegaugeworks.com or www.Classicinstruments.com they
both do repair and restoration and they may have some ideas.

Best Regards,

Susan Grove
Inside Sales

Last edited by Jim D.; 06-01-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: removed email address to prevent possible spamming issues.
Old 06-01-2010
SOEC Member

Opps, sorry Jim I should have removed the email addresses.
Old 06-01-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

jut asking has anyone tryed messing with the dm speed cal? or will it work on saleens?
Old 06-02-2010

If anyone needs an original cluster send me a pm with year. I have a few from 96-04. For the 99-04 I won't be able to tell you how many miles. Your Ford dealer can reprogram the PATS system to work with your car. If your car is an original Saleen Ford may be able to reprogram your mileage into the new cluter. You will have to confirm with Ford on that one. 99-04 clusters are $375 plus shipping. On the 96-98 I'll have to make sure I still have them. I don't have any spare S351 clusters currently. I have been told the Dallas speed cal won't work for a 200 mph speedo. I have never verified it though. Best bet would be to call them and ask.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #46 (2000 chassis)
95 Saleen S351 #43, SR Spec
99 Saleen S351R #42 (2000 Chassis)
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 06-02-2010

Just curious. What kind of mileage do the clusters have for the 99-04?
Old 06-02-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang281 View Post
Just curious. What kind of mileage do the clusters have for the 99-04?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S351r View Post
For the 99-04 I won't be able to tell you how many miles.
I think he already answered that question.
Old 06-03-2010

Stupid me, thats what i get for being tired and skimming. My bad guys.
Old 06-03-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang281 View Post
Stupid me, thats what i get for being tired and skimming. My bad guys.
LOL, no problem! Just wanted to point that out that he alread said that. Man I want my cluster fixed so bad!
Old 06-03-2010

If you have a used cluster from a Saleen ford can redo the pats system so it will work in your car. This can be done at the dealership.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
If you have a used cluster from a Saleen ford can redo the pats system so it will work in your car. This can be done at the dealership.
Or Pats can be disabled. The question is... can Ford change the mileage on the cluster so that it reflects the actual mileage?

When Ford gets a brand new cluster, it does not have any calibration flashed on the controller. I am curious if mileage is at zero or there is not data. You would think they can flash the mileage too, if it comes with no mileage data. Ford does not have the Saleen firmware to flash on controller.
Old 06-03-2010

If you order a new cluster from Ford it comes with the milage. You have alot of forms to fill out though. They got tough on this a few years ago. The dealer cannot change the mileage. I'm not sure if you can send your cluster back to Ford and have to changed to reflect your current mileage. That would take alot of checking. I'm sure it could be done if you asked the right person.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
If you order a new cluster from Ford it comes with the milage. You have alot of forms to fill out though. They got tough on this a few years ago. The dealer cannot change the mileage. I'm not sure if you can send your cluster back to Ford and have to changed to reflect your current mileage. That would take alot of checking. I'm sure it could be done if you asked the right person.
You should find a way to document all your 99-04 clusters. Maybe find a new edge Mustang and install each to find mileage. That would make them more desirable to buyers. Anyone live close to you with a new edge? If you send them to me, I can check the mileage on each. I can drop ship them for you to buyers or send them back to you. How many 99-04 clusters do you have?
Old 06-03-2010

To do that it would require you to reset the PATs system everytime in the car you installed it in. When you swap the cluster your car won't crank and the pats system reads incorrectly and shuts down the car. I went through that with a theft recovery S281. Most of the clusters I have came from wrecked cars, some of which I had no way to test. It costs $100 for the dealer to rest the PATS system
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
To do that it would require you to reset the PATs system everytime in the car you installed it in. When you swap the cluster your car won't crank and the pats system reads incorrectly and shuts down the car. I went through that with a theft recovery S281. Most of the clusters I have came from wrecked cars, some of which I had no way to test. It costs $100 for the dealer to rest the PATS system
SCT has the ability to disable the PATS system when you get a dyno tune.
Old 06-03-2010

It will but, why turn off your anti theft. Its alot more expensive than going to the dealer and getting it done right. For reseting the mileage stop thinking of shade tree ideas and try to find a real solution. It will save you a ton of headache and money spent on someone elses idea that they can't prove will work. Do some research through Ford. Don't waste your time talking to a dealer. They have nothing to gain by answering your question. You will have to contact a tech representative at Ford who deals with speedometers and calibration or contact this company http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ with proof of your odometer reading and what you need the replacement cluster to read.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29

Last edited by S351r; 06-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2010
Account with Invalid Email

Saleen had a calibration machine. If I remember correctly it was droped and broken, the cost to repair it was $5000 + if I remember the story correctly.

They have no reason to support these gauges, and the cost of the repair is far greater then the profit that can be made from fixing gauges. They also will never sell you the 200mph gauges. I had a friend who purchased a 2003 Saleen Cobra in Rainbow, it came with the stock cobra gauges. He tried to buy the Saleen gauges forever and they would not sell them to him.
Old 06-12-2010
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:
SCT has the ability to disable the PATS system when you get a dyno tune.

I see your from MA, if you truly need your speedo fixed, contact BBA reman in Taunton, they can fix just about any spedo or electrical item, its gonna cost you big $$$
Old 06-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.saleen View Post
I see your from MA, if you truly need your speedo fixed, contact BBA reman in Taunton, they can fix just about any spedo or electrical item, its gonna cost you big $$$
There is no problem that needs to be fixed. The problem is 99-04 Saleen owners need the firmware flashed on their microcontroller to accurately sweep the analog gauges.

You can extract the firmware from the broken machine and let Ford flash the cluster. Firmware people, firmware. Ford can flash it, they just don't have the firmware.
Old 06-14-2010
SOEC Member

What about all these companies who make modern gauges for old cars running newer drivetrains with computers? Couldn't they make a unit/module that replaces the stock one, allowing the use of the stock face plate and needle assy?
Old 06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
What about all these companies who make modern gauges for old cars running newer drivetrains with computers? Couldn't they make a unit/module that replaces the stock one, allowing the use of the stock face plate and needle assy?
That would be a good idea. Problem is that Ford has to marry the PCM to the cluster controller to prevent people from changing their cluster. PATS.
Old 06-14-2010

I talked to the guys at Electronic Speedometer Service in Washington state and they said for $125 they can transfer the mileage from a GT cluster into the Saleen cluster and they might be able to change the PATS over too included in the $125 price of the mileage swap. If they can change the mileage and Ford can make the PATS system work then putting in a used cluster should work then, right? Not sure if my thinking is right or not but I still dont have the knowledge about this as a few of the other guys on this site so i could be wrong.

http://electronicspeedometerservice.com/ Thats their website.
Old 06-16-2010

Same problem, I'm checking with S351r to see how much he would charge for one of his old clusters. If it's to high I'm going to go with a cobra 160 speed-o with a custom Caribbean Designs overlay on it. Doing the cobra so at least it will not be a GT, Going to go ahead and have the Mach1 style numbers and the saleen logo, figure if its not original...I can change it to at least look completely different instead of looking like a close 2nd. I already have a ton of money in a spare speed-o and saleen overlays. Now I'm just going to weigh the balance of the cost for a used cluster from S351R or a new face kit.
Old 06-25-2010

Seems the only solution is to pick a cluster you want (150mph or 160mph) and have Caribbean Customs create a face plate for you. You can custom order the correct Saleen font and black dial ($55 for font and $15 for black dial). Then, have Ford remarry the new cluster to your car.

Since no one is interested in fixing the Saleen device or having someone else fix it. Ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2010
SOEC Member

This is not a bash on Caribbean Customs but I have bought alot of stuff from them. I have one of the Saleen white face overlays that I used on another cluster and you can tell that it is not an original overlay. I like all their other stuff but the overlays, I was not impressed. I found an original Saleen cluster and installed that in mine. Yes the speedometer is off, but I have figured out what speed I am going by clocking it with another car. I run 80mph on the gauge but actual is 62mph. I can take a pic of the overlay if you are interested and I probably sell it also. Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 06-27-2010

Hey i just found a link about swapping the odometer unit into an autometer cluster.

http://www.99darkgreengt.com/automet...ometertech.htm

I bought a Saleen cluster that i want to swap into my GT but the cluster is about 40,000 miles under what my car has. If I'm installing the Saleen gauge cluster into my GT would that work so my mileage would show up correctly? Also i read somewhere that the PATS system is controlled by that unit also but im unsure if that is true.
Old 06-27-2010

I wish they still sold the GT version of the Autometer. You can find 120mph V6 versions of the Autometer gauges around, but 120mph? Simco is sold out of gauges (out of production). Not many choices out there for a Saleen owner whose cluster goes bad.
Old 06-27-2010

Do you know if swapping my GT odometer unit into the Saleen cluster would work the same way instread of it going into the autometer cluster? That would save about $150-$200 to ship the two clusters out to have electronic speedo do it. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure things out before i take them apart
Old 06-29-2010
SOEC Member

Here are some pictures of the Caribbean Customs white face gauges:

Here is a picture of the circuit board, no modules that can be removed :

Back of the gauges:

Last edited by Coderedsaleen; 08-24-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2010

Based on the autometer instructions, the green circuit board on the back of the gauges is what is taken off and transfered over
Old 07-20-2010

Default re-cal of new gauges

I have an old set of gauge overlays from Saleen, I'm going to put them on a GT gauge cluster and try to comp my speed o using my SCT programmer. I know the RPM's will be off by 1000 but it beats nothing. I also have a seat of pro-racer so disabling PATS isn't going to be an issue. I'll try and post what tire size combo does the trick after I get to it.
Old 07-20-2010
SOEC Member

If you put the GT cluster in it with the Saleen overlay everything else will work as if was in the GT (if the needles are placed back on correctly) except the Speedometer. No matter what you to it with the SCT programmer or tire size it still will not sweep correctly because it is in the programming of the cluster. The speedo needle gauge gets it signal from the speed sensor through the PCM then to chips in the cluster to determine the needle position. What you can do to see how much the cluster is off is to go into the test mode for the cluster, how do you do that? Well first hold down the trip reset as you start the car. Then release after the car is running, this will put it into test mode, pushing the trip reset again it will go through all the things it will test. Some are sensor reading but some useful things for the novice are; bulb test, RPM's, and speed. You will have to play with it to see which one it for the speedometer. Sometime when you go though the whole list it will kick you out and you will have to turn off the car and redo it again.

So the only actual way we can cure this is by getting an actual Saleen cluster and get it reset to the car if you have PATS or install the cluster and disable the PATS.

The mileage in the cluster will be the mileage, not sure if the dealer can set it to your original or not.

This is first hand experience since I tried to put a Cobra cluster in mine and the mileage was what was on the cluster. Since I still had the PATS I didn't want to disable it because it is easy to disable but a PIA to reactivate it. So I reinstalled the OEM with a real Saleen overlay and all the gauges read correctly except the speedometer.

Just some info since this keeps going round and round with no solution. If Dave or Jim could talk to Steve Saleen and find out how the speedometer where manufactured it would clear up all this, but then again this would prevent people from putting OEM Saleen clusters in non actual Saleen's. If the "calibration" machine is broke there is nothing that we can do to get it fixed since this is not a priority of "Saleen" to fix since the cars are six years old or older and are under new management.

If Saleen Speedlab was to research what is needed to fix or calibrate new clusters for our years it would be a plus for us, but it cost money and there is not much of a market to offset the cost for such research.

There still has to be a way get these fixed though!

Just my 2cents.
Old 08-24-2010
SOEC Member

Reposted pictures.
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:
Seems the only solution is to pick a cluster you want (150mph or 160mph) and have Caribbean Customs create a face plate for you. You can custom order the correct Saleen font and black dial ($55 for font and $15 for black dial). Then, have Ford remarry the new cluster to your car.

Since no one is interested in fixing the Saleen device or having someone else fix it. Ridiculous.

I don't understand how CC can recreate the Saleen logo without legal reprocussion? Seems like Saleen would be all over that. Then again, I would have thought they would be all over Ebay for alllll of those sellers out there selling fake Saleen badges.

Anyway, you should be able to recalibrate the gauge cluster to 200mph with an adjustable VSS module. I installed one ina friend's car who did a T-56 swap (still 150mph speedo though)... all you do is set your perimeters at different speeds and you are good to go.
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
Reposted pictures.

No offense, but I would be upset with CC on those. The lettering is off quite a bit, the letters appear to be red, and the "normal" lettering is definitely not profesional. Like I said, no offense or anything, but I would be highly upset with them on that one!
Old 09-06-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemustangperformance View Post
I don't understand how CC can recreate the Saleen logo without legal reprocussion? Seems like Saleen would be all over that. Then again, I would have thought they would be all over Ebay for alllll of those sellers out there selling fake Saleen badges.
Saleen Inc was on top of it. MJA/SPV less so. I've been informed that SPV could start regulating this better.
Old 09-06-2010

I would imagine it would go to the hands of whoever legally owns the Saleen name now.
Old 09-28-2010

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270641578075

a 200mph cluster with 80,121 miles. i was considering buying this but after going through this thread it seems a headache to get to work in any 99-04. i know one guy said he got his dyno tuner to program his saleen cluster into his GT. hes on svtperformance if anyones interested in contacting him pm me. he was parting out his GT.
Old 01-19-2011

Default Cluster install

I purchased a Saleen cluster off ebay recently for my car. I have some questions.

i have a 2002 gt with the stock 150 cluster. I took that out when i purchased an autometer cluster. I took this tiny chip out which contained my miles on my car, 74k and put it in the autometer. when I turned my car on everything worked great lights fuel rpms speed etc. So if i have this saleen cluster can I just take the mileage chip out of the autometer/ stock 150mph cluster( with 74k original miles) and put it in the saleen one?

That way it will be the saleen cluster, but my mileage. I can use the green circuit board and such from the white saleen cluster I just want accurate mileage. also i was curious as to how the speedometer would read whether itd be accurate.

I dont know much about the PATS system. what I was going to do is put my stock cluster from my GT back into my car take it up to ford and ask if they could change the computer chips, containing the mileage, and possibly activate the pats i know this will cost 100 to 150 or whatever.

Im not trying to sabatoge my CPU or make my 74k Mustang appear to have unaccurate mileage. all i want is the saleen cluster installed with the accurate mileage. I dont want to get accused or trying to ruin the data and tamper with the mileage... any ideas... i read through the thread, but im confused as to whether the OP was saying his actual cluster broke, and what he needed or wanted. Would requiring one of these gauge clusters to work require the computer from a saleen, like the one near the passenger seat?
Old 01-19-2011

I wouldn't remove the chip. It should be the one that contains the calibration for the speedo.
The PATS system: You will have to take the car to the dealership to have the PATS reset when you install the cluster. It will still have the VIN in it from the original car and when your PATS system tries to talk to it it will disable the ignition.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 01-19-2011
SOEC Member

What chip are you talking about removing? The pics I posted of the speedo taken apart did not have a chip that you could remove. Unless I missed it.

If it is a authentic Saleen cluster you can take it and your car to the dealer and they can install the cluster then program the PATS to work with your car.

That is the thing with the PATS system, you can not just swap clusters at home unless you had the PATS turned off at some point.
Old 01-20-2011

the chip i was talking about is that lil green circuit board held on my two screws in the pictures below. in my autometer instruction it says to take that out of the stock cluster and put into the autometer one which i did and it reads my mileage. the saleen cluster i purchased apparently has 24k on it. my car has 74 original. if i take it to the dealer they cannot do anything about that can they?

my dad also put this in my car when he used to own it.

http://www.ravelco.com/

i cannot start my car without this plug inserted into it. i dont know if this being installed has anything to do with my PATS.