The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-30-2013
SOEC Member

Default My quarter window trim fell off

So, I was driving my car last week. Was on this left sweepng ramp between two highways, so I decided to take it with a little spirit. No biggie, done it before. As I was in mid-ramp, I heard this pop and kind of this sound like something was hitting the whee well of the car. Slowed down, everything seemed fine. Maybe I just picked up something on the road that I didn't see...

Got her home and did an inpsection of underneath the car and couldn't find anything out of place. So, Saturday, I get up early to wash the car as the bug collection on the front bumber is getting larger. So, pull the car out to do the prerinse and notice that my passenger side rear quarter window cover is gone. Not just that, on closer inspection, the whole window frame is gone!

Has anyone else experienced this? Guesss I need some sub-frame connectors, cause the only thing I can guess is the car flexed causing the window frame to pop. I just wonder if it would have done this without the newly added window covers?

So, do I take her to Ford, Saleen or both?
Old 06-30-2013
Administrator

The Saleen designed quarter window trim did unglue on a few S197 cars. This should be covered in the warranty.

Did you lose the glass quarter window as well? This would be a Ford issue. If the window fell out, it took the Saleen cover with it.
Old 06-30-2013
SOEC Member

The glass is there, but the Ford trim is gone as well as the Saleen cover. Maybe I don't understand how this piece is mounted, but I thought the Saleen cover was glued to the quater window trim and didn't replace the trim.
Old 06-30-2013
Administrator

The quarter window is just a piece of glass. There is no Ford installed trim.

Saleen should warranty the cover and replace for free.
Old 06-30-2013
SOEC Member

I was just looking at some photos of my car before the trim was installed and it appears you are right as usual. There is just a lot of adhesive left behind making it look worse than it is...lol
Old 06-30-2013
Administrator

Do you use the quarter windows while driving or negotiating traffic?
Old 06-30-2013
SOEC Member

Not much. I do look out of habit, but the mirros have those mini mirrors built in and that seems to work quite well. The covers are only really a trim piece. You don't really notice them from insdie the car.
Old 06-30-2013
Administrator

Ever consider the S197 Extreme window deletes or the Heritage covers?
Old 06-30-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Wow! I guess you were taking the corner Schumacher-style Werecow!

I did notice that both my quarter window trims are cracked from top to bottom in a few places. Should I be concerned that these will eventually pop out also?
Old 07-01-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialStang View Post
I did notice that both my quarter window trims are cracked from top to bottom in a few places. Should I be concerned that these will eventually pop out also?
The trim had a history of peeling in 2005-06. If your trim is cracking, you should consider replacing for cosmetic purposes. If the trim is glued well, it will stay put regardless of cracks.

One warning with the quarter window trim. Depending on installer the quarter trim might take some exterior paint with it on removal.
Old 07-01-2013

They will all crack, mine did but as Dave said said there is no way they can fall off. It took me a good week to remove them a bit at a time as careful as I could. They are sealed on with way too much silicone rubber stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The trim had a history of peeling in 2005-06. If your trim is cracking, you should consider replacing for cosmetic purposes. If the trim is glued well, it will stay put regardless of cracks.

One warning with the quarter window trim. Depending on installer the quarter trim might take some exterior paint with it on removal.
Old 07-01-2013
SOEC Member

Don't remember what the Extreme delete panels looked like. I'll have to look into it. Not sure how you get the old glue/epoxy off the car to put another panel on...lol It is like concrete! Would carbon fiber resist the cracking better? Obviously it wouldn't stop it from popping off. I need to find a strut tower brace that will clear the blower. Maybe a GT500 brace will work.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0079.JPG  

Old 07-01-2013

Wouldn't this be a Saleen Warranty issue? Let them them get that stuff off and install a new quarter window piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Don't remember what the Extreme delete panels looked like. I'll have to look into it. Not sure how you get the old glue/epoxy off the car to put another panel on...lol It is like concrete! Would carbon fiber resist the cracking better? Obviously it wouldn't stop it from popping off. I need to find a strut tower brace that will clear the blower. Maybe a GT500 brace will work.
Old 07-01-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Off the top of my head you might could try CarPro Tar X. I am not sure how strong it is, but it is an adhesive remover that is safe for paint. Let me see what the AutopiaForum says about this. They might can recommend a product that can remove it that is stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Lol that suckssss, now im afraid mines gonna fall off since that I put them on myself
I used tons of urethane though just in case hahaha
Didn't think it was possible that these things would actually fall off
Email: bluffmaster007hcm@yahoo.com

FS: Parts List <---- Click here for a full list of parts

Old 07-02-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffmaster007 View Post
Lol that suckssss, now im afraid mines gonna fall off since that I put them on myself
I used tons of urethane though just in case hahaha
Didn't think it was possible that these things would actually fall off
I'll take it down to Saleen and have them deal with it. I need an excuse to visit Jason's shop anyway...lol Thinking I might need to stiffen the car up before the watts link...lol I wonder why they don't use silicon as it would give some and is easier to get off the car...lol

I guess my thread title was disapproved..lol
Old 07-02-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
I'll take it down to Saleen and have them deal with it. I need an excuse to visit Jason's shop anyway...lol Thinking I might need to stiffen the car up before the watts link...lol I wonder why they don't use silicon as it would give some and is easier to get off the car...lol

I guess my thread title was disapproved..lol
I think because would also be easier for it to fly off with silicon lol
If they dont fix it, you can always come by my place, i got tons of urethane left over that you can use
Whoever installed yours doesn't seem like they put urethane on the part of the piece that covers the window since you have no residue left over on the glass,
I put like 3 strips of urethane there, so it holds it extra tight
Email: bluffmaster007hcm@yahoo.com

FS: Parts List <---- Click here for a full list of parts

Old 07-03-2013
SOEC Member

That is an option. I will see if I get a response from Bill and work it from there.
Old 07-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Thanks for the heads up Dave.