The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-02-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 2003 S281 Extreme Coupe - New Member!

Hi all. After a long time dreaming I am finally an owner of a Saleen. I pulled the trigger and bought a 2003 S281E. I love the car so far. I'm the third owner.

I was able to get it to the dyno and make sure the A/F was okay for now. I was a little disappointed with the numbers though. It only got 395 RWHP and 404 TQ. Does this seem right? This is all with 18 LBs of boost, which I think is pretty high. I was hoping for a little more since these things are supposed to be rated at 445 from factory.

The original owner put the following mods on the car.

cobra tank-focus pumps
kenny bell boost a pump
seimens60lb injectors
sct 90mm mass air meter
chicane sport intercooler
excalibur"2" hand held tuner (which I don't have)
bassani mid length headers
bassani x pipe
3:73 gears

I'm having a little trouble finding information on the 2002 - 2004 E cars. Any suggestions on where to find more information?

Last edited by 03_yellow_extreme; 11-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

simple would be to just get a good tune, on it my s4 blower with a pulley and fuel upgrades has dynoed 381once391 with stock gt exhaust. trapping 116mph so my numbers match the drag strip. I would get the chicane intercooler to avoid high air charge temps that actually kill power and is ver hard on the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
saleen pic 6.jpg  

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 07-02-2010

It already has the Chicane intercooler. I agree, I need to get a better tune on it. My initial dyno was just to make sure the car was safe to drive. I'm probably going to get a SCT tuner and have it tuned shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
03 Saleen 1.jpg  

03 Saleen 2.jpg  

Old 07-02-2010

I remember reading a thread about the extreme on a different forum. Supposedly the diesel sound was common in the E cars of that generation. I dont remember if it was "normal" though. I remember the guy that started the thread ended up rebuilding the engine and the diesel sound was gone.

What kind of supercharger does the E have? power does sound a bit on the low side for 18psi and the mods it has. My saleen has the stock GT engine with bullitt intake and i have a vortech S trim with 13psi and similar mods to yours and i make 450rwhp. I would have the tune checked out and maybe retuned if it needs it. There are quite a few good tuners in the DFW area.
Old 07-02-2010

03 Yellow Extreme

Last edited by 03_yellow_extreme; 11-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2010

Here's a picture of the motor. Can anyone tell what kind of supercharger is on it from the picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Motor.jpg  

Old 07-02-2010

the e car had the 2.3 lysholm supercharger basically a whipple. if you have 18psi you must have a pulley on it yours looks stock but maybe you have a lower? although its hard to tell from the pic if that upper is a stock one..

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 07-02-2010

your car has a sct meter on it someone tuned it im sure but you should know where your air charge temps are and timing

Old 07-02-2010
Suspended Account

Does the "diesel" sound go away when the engine warms up? If so, it's normal.
Old 07-03-2010
SOEC Member

Any SOundclips of the exhaust? That's the setup I have waiting to go on...Bassani Mid-Length & Catted X. Stock mufflers.

'03 SC Coupe (1 of 2) 380hp / 400tq @ 12lbs boost 18x10" rear wheel option
13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!
Old 07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue View Post
Any SOundclips of the exhaust? That's the setup I have waiting to go on...Bassani Mid-Length & Catted X. Stock mufflers.
I'll see if I can put one together. I can say it is crazy loud at WOT. Almost too loud for me.
Old 07-03-2010

Default sick ride. Congrats.

03 Yellow Extreme...that's a sick ride. Congrats. Welcome to the club. The obsession begins.

Saleen12c
Old 07-03-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

The 2.3L blower used on the 02-04 E cars is the S5 blower. It looks from the pic you have a 3" pulley on the blower. Stock is 4" I think. I could go look if u want to know. With a stock lower my guess would be around 16psi. So you may have a lower. Nice looking car and congrats.
Old 07-03-2010
Administrator

First - Welcome to THE Saleen Forums @ SOEC.org! Looks like you've made an excellent purchase.

As stated, the diesel sound at start up/ cold is normal for these first generation Extreme models. There was an owner with a Mineral 2002 E coupe that use to frequent forums who performed an engine rebuild a number of years ago. He also drove the vehicle, so I believe he had one of the higher mileage Extremes in existence.

Congrats on the purchase and hopefully you'll have the Zinc Saleen sorted in the coming weeks.
Old 07-03-2010

Thanks for all the feedback and compliments. I'm looking forward to have discussions with my fellow Saleen owners and also other mustang corals. I'm not new to the mustang seen but it has been a few years since I've owned one.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  

Last edited by 03_yellow_extreme; 11-19-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2010

air fuel is all over the place dips pretty rich, get a good tune with af checked on the street log your spark and air charge temps. Its good to know your motor is set up correctly

Old 07-07-2010

Looks good man CONGRATS

I LOVE Es I will own one eventually lol

It all seems about right the blower as stated is a 2.3L whipple. The knock (diesel sound) is normal until it is fully warm.

I recommend a retune maybe they left some on the table could be a VERY conservative tune you never know. Also maybe some more cooling mods you have the chicane inter cooler not sure if you have a bigger Heat Exchanger already since it is an E. The numbers do seem low

once again CONGRATS
Old 07-07-2010

Thanks for the compliment. I'll probably get it retuned shortly. Unfortunately all the car is doing right now is sitting in the garage. I want to drive it a little more but I just don't have time.

I will have to look into additional cooling mods. I'm not sure what is out there.
Old 07-09-2010
SOEC Member

Congrats on your new purchase.You can't go wrong with Yellow! Your S/C should be the Series V as mine is a Series IV. All E Models in 03 came with the Series V. I figured you would make more power to the wheels over mine and I am on a conservitave tune (until I upgrade injectors and some other items), due to my fuel leaning out @ 5200. I made 370 RWHP and 400 RWTQ.

BTW, If you haven't done so yet, check out YellowMustangRegistry.com adn sign up. It is free to register your car! I am the owner of that site.

Welcome to SOEC!

03 S281SC Coupe #03-0081 Series IV SC, Chicane Pulley, Intercooled, JLT CAI, 42lb. Injectors, Diablosport MAFia, Ford Supercar GT Fuel Pump, Magnaflow Exhaust, Brembo 13" brake package, 3.27 gears, MaxGrip, Tri-Ax Shifter, Racecraft Suspension, 18X9 and 18x10 Chrome Saleen Wheels w 275/35/18 Nittos, Saleen Leather Seat Package and Saleen Pedals 370 RWHP / 405 RWTQ Tuned by Dan Desio @ Pro-Dyno - Fort Mill, SC
Old 07-12-2010
SOEC Member

awesome car man! I love the yellow ones...
4" AFM Powerpipe, 3:90 Rear Gear, Bassani Headers and O/R X-pipe, BFGoodrich KDW's, H&R SS Springs
DynoJet Tune by Modern Muscle, 460rwh/415 torq @12 psi
Old 07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_yellow_extreme View Post
I forgot to mention in the original post that it does have a 3.25 pulley and a 4 inch lower.

Thanks for all the feedback and compliments. I'm looking forward to have discussions with my fellow Saleen owners and also other mustang corals. I'm not new to the mustang seen but it has been a few years since I've owned one.

Here's a scan of my first dyno run on 6-27. Hopefully it comes through okay since it seemed to be pretty light on the screen.
Nice ride!
This dyno sheet says its a mustang dyno, is that correct? If so, your numbers would actually be much higher on a non inertia loaded dyno. Most folks refer to dynojet numbers which would make it even tougher to compare.

Welcome!
Tunable induction CAI|2.8 pulley|39# Injectors|05 Mustang GT pump|90mm MAF|75MM BBK-TB|Mosaleen idler|MAC Long tube headers|Mac Off road X|LFP-H/E and tank|Chicane I/C|5gpm pump|373 FRPP gears|NT555R 305/35ZR1|MGW shifter|FRPP Alum driveshaft|N2MB two step
86-0087
03-269 S281SC
92 LX coupe
92 LX convertible