The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-05-2018
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: SSC battery?

Anyone have a part or model number of the battery that came original in the ssc?

july 2012 MM&FF feature cars
Old 06-05-2018

Or have a part number for a ford motorcraft replacement?

Old 06-05-2018
SOEC Member

Unobtanuim. It was a Champion. The closest thing that exists is a basic black battery, and Champion stickers.

EDIT, looks as though Champion is back in the battery business. Pep Boys home battery page says "introducing Champion batteries".

Last edited by Specracer; 06-06-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2018

Ford says the system lists 3 possible batteries for the 5.0, anyone know what size the original was? Tray looks like it could fit an 11”

Old 06-07-2018
Administrator

The original Motorcraft battery was a Group 58, I believe. This was also known as the "Heavy Duty Battery" during some model years, but I don't recall much. During the 1980s, when the 5-liter was an option on the LX, the big battery was not standard, if I recall. The GT model had the battery package as standard, but not the LX. At some point the LX 5.0 got the battery package as standard.

Is there evidence on the 1990 SSC and 1990 SC having the Champion battery as standard equipment? It was on paper, but were they ever installed?

When Lee Reese and I were looking at this... I believe we noticed Montgomery Ward Auto Centers sold a private-label battery with a very similar case to the Champion back-in-the-day. Or it at least "looked" similar in the advertisements.

Anyway, I typically buy Motorcraft batteries with the longest warranty period for the style/group I need. I was into Mustang Club of America shows years ago and Motorcraft batteries are less sinful than other brands when judging for correctness.
Old 06-07-2018
SOEC Member

Last year when researching this, I found a picture somewhere that showed an SSC with a Champion battery. I looked for the pic to post it, but I must have not saved it, and I could not find it again. Ill keep looking. But for sure your question is valid. Equipment variations (IE whats on the "shelf") was for sure a norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Is there evidence on the 1990 SSC and 1990 SC having the Champion battery as standard equipment? It was on paper, but were they ever installed?