The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 06-12-2011
Banned

Default Great vinyl / leather detail discovery!

So i made this discovery BY chance. and i wound up typing this long story but deleated it so get to the point quicker for you readers.
OK Dont Laugh because im Very serious i would never lead anyone astray when it comes to detailing care for our saleens.

I ran outa the usual dash vinyl clean/shine products and wanted to throw something on it in the interim. So doing the guy-thing i grabed some coco butter out from the bathroom cabinet and you would not believe how great this stuff works. FIRST let me explain that i sometimes use coco butter as a shaving gel, it really works better than any gel you can find because it not only enables the razor to cut easy but it heals dry skin moisturizes softens and eliminates blemishes , (exactly what its suppose to do for skin) . Now think about what i just said. AHHHHHHH get the picture rite!. First i was surprised how well it worked on vinyl penetrating what is in all intent and purposes PLASTIC, making it look and feel new. Then i decided to try a bit on my old dried and cracking leather AND YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE how it transformed the dry cracking leather to soft smooth and plush in a matter of MINUTES!!!! Simular but better than the vinyl it penetrated the leather and revived it without getting hard and brittle and drying away hours later like most Leather treatment products, IT WORKS LIKE CRAZY!!!! and the seats are not oily to the touch.. the vinyl.. no more than any other product. but its shine is great! If i knew about this earlier i wouldve used this from day one! on my seats,, and best of all its cheap and you can find it just about anywhere. TRUST ME THIS WORKS GREAT!!..

I also had another secret product that was hands down the best shining agent for just about anything, Funny enough it too was once something found just about everywhere but little known... It was one of those shoe-shineing sponge products you find in the shoe section of your local supermarket. It came in a yellow partially open cardboard box, made out of Brooklyn NY of all places. This one was the cheapest of the bunch only costing $1, once applied its shine was unrivaled by any product on the market! it dried to true wet shine look with ZERO residue to the touch. working great on plastics vinyls and leather. As far as i know the product is now discontinued possibly another fallen old family run company, i could be wrong. but what a product! if you see it somewhere trust me FANTASTIC!. But for now.. try Palmers coco butter remember leather is hyde (skin) after all. The point of my post is not only to inform you of the great find i made, but also to remind you that similar if not better products are sometimes found in seemingly odd places, like shoe-care or skin care doing the very same thing as car leather products costing many times more.

Lastly, while vacationing in Jackson Hole Wyoming, a wrangler informed me, they found the best product they use on leather saddles and other items is simply virgin olive oil. ( i tried it, it works but no were near as good as Palmers coco butter)
Attached Images

Last edited by XEVIOUS; 06-12-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2011
Banned

Update: The Shoe Shine sponge may very well still be in production!!!!!

heres a link to were its sold.
http://www.warkov.com/catalog/produc...0ae69393a9bffb

I remember the product since i was a child, (clearly the illustraction on the box is of a time long past) but considering its still around is a testament to its quality. even with its cheap price. This works unbelievably great on vinyl plastic and tires. (i use to use it on my seats as well but now i prefer Palmers Coco butter for that)
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2011
SOEC Member

I have one of those for my work shoes. It will help shine but I dunno about protect...
Buy mine at Wal Mart in the shoe section.
Old 06-20-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I'm not an expert in leather care. But i've always heard some of the most important ingredients when conditioning leather are mink oil, lanolin, and neatsfoot.

While Cocoa butter may make the leather feel good short term, i don't know if it would have any long term benefits. Yes, leather is indeed a "skin", but cocoa butter is designed to moisturize and aid in healing and eliminating blemishes in living growing skin. Leather is not alive, and looses vital nutrients and oils over time.

I personally use Mothers one-two punch, cleaning using Mothers Leather cleaner, and follow it up by massaging in a liberal amount of Mothers Leather Conditioner and allowing it to soak in for 12-24 hours. Many of Mothers Leather care products contain Lanolin and neatsfoot oil.
Old 06-20-2011
Banned

I used many leather care products only to see disappointing results. Some products maybe designed for specific leathers. And no, i dont think my seats would up and run off any time soon.LOL In fact i would say my seats are shot, typical ford leather seat cracking and drying out over time.
After 15 years of florida sun (speedster) and a sweaty back (salt) its bound to happen. But what surprised me was how the cocoa butter softened the leather like near new. NO product ive ever used had that result. Not to say mothers couldnt do it or better, ive never used it. Ive used mink oil and lanolin as well, And olive oil. they do ok but some tend to dry up quickly. The amount of cocoa butter i used was incredibly small yet the result were positive. In the end if you gota product that works all is well. If i wouldve discovered the results of cocoa butter sooner im sure it wouldve prevented cracking, moisturization is the key, replacing the leathers natural and proccesed oils but as for any other type of effects over time, thats unknown, but i would assume nothing major since its not acidic.

Last edited by XEVIOUS; 06-20-2011 at 07:59 AM.