The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-10-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Saleen VS new M3

Any of you guys race a new M3? I had a 2002 s281sc for years. I ordered an M3 without driving one and curious how it compares to the saleen stock and even moderately modded.
Old 02-10-2016
SOEC Member

F80 vs S550 saleen? If yes, the 1st obvious point is 2 vs 4 doors. Would also have to ask which saleen? Sc or na? I have an F80 m3, nice car. It's my daily summer driver, when not driving one of our mustangs. I absolutely hate the rev match that can only be turned on when in sport plus mode (does not matter if you got a DSC). The previous E90 M3 was a direct benchmark for the S550' for driving dynamics the S550 is there. Also there is NO replacement for the sound of a V-8!

What do you mean by "race"?

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of support for the M3 here vs a saleen.

My 2c.
Old 02-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specracer View Post
F80 vs S550 saleen? If yes, the 1st obvious point is 2 vs 4 doors. Would also have to ask which saleen? Sc or na? I have an F80 m3, nice car. It's my daily summer driver, when not driving one of our mustangs. I absolutely hate the rev match that can only be turned on when in sport plus mode (does not matter if you got a DSC). The previous E90 M3 was a direct benchmark for the S550' for driving dynamics the S550 is there. Also there is NO replacement for the sound of a V-8!

What do you mean by "race"?

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of support for the M3 here vs a saleen.

My 2c.
Thanks for the response and thoughts. Sorry for not being more clear about race. Was just looking for a comparison between the super charged 99-04 saleens and the new M3. The specs on the M3 are great for a stock car. I realize most guys here are not in to BMW. I was a mustang guy for many years. The bmw makes for a great DD and I am going from a 328 up to an M3. Sounds Like you are enjoying yours. I agree there is no comparison in the sound of the exhaust.
Old 02-10-2016
SOEC Member

Comparing cars that are 10-15 years apart isn't fair (new edge mustang vs M3). But coming from the 328 to the F80 M3, you will notice a huge difference that you likely will enjoy. You are not coming from the E90 M3 so your will not miss the 8200 rpm V-8. Hopefully you ordered 6mt.
Old 02-10-2016

Quote:
Comparing cars that are 10-15 years apart isn't fair (new edge mustang vs M3). But coming from the 328 to the F80 M3, you will notice a huge difference that you likely will enjoy. You are not coming from the E90 M3 so your will not miss the 8200 rpm V-8. Hopefully you ordered 6mt.
Completely understand and realize the tech in the Bmw is years ahead of the old saleen. I LOVED that car and its actually my last sports car. I loved the handling and the power especially after all the mods. More curious on how they compare as I haven't driven an M3? The stock saleen had pretty good power and I always thought it handled wonderful. I actually got the DCT as its a DD and my wife will drive it as well. I traded my previous saleen in on my F350 and when its paid for I still plan on getting a Stingray Corvette with a stick for the weekend toy. Possibly a Z06 since the wife REALLY likes them :-)
Old 02-12-2016
SOEC Member

The M3 will feel more refined, the DCT will be fun (but to me would get boring), tires are a biggie also, mine came with Michelin Pilots (some come with Contis) so they are sticky. You lost me on the vette, no thanks. Maybe you should try a S550 Saleen, or GT350 over the vette....
Old 02-12-2016

Quote:
The M3 will feel more refined, the DCT will be fun (but to me would get boring), tires are a biggie also, mine came with Michelin Pilots (some come with Contis) so they are sticky. You lost me on the vette, no thanks. Maybe you should try a S550 Saleen, or GT350 over the vette....
I'm okay with boring in traffic. This will be my first DCT so I guess I'll see how it goes. I know most on here are big corvette fans. However I had a really bad experience when I wanted to get rid of the Saeen for my truck. So am having a hard time considering another Ford. Even though the GT350 sounds fantastic. I'm leaning towards a convertible corvette but if somehow things work out to get in to a 911 turbo I will be going that route.
Old 02-17-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
I'm okay with boring in traffic. This will be my first DCT so I guess I'll see how it goes. I know most on here are big corvette fans. However I had a really bad experience when I wanted to get rid of the Saeen for my truck. So am having a hard time considering another Ford. Even though the GT350 sounds fantastic. I'm leaning towards a convertible corvette but if somehow things work out to get in to a 911 turbo I will be going that route.
Maybe I can help you out here. I have a 997.1 turbo and the 02 S/C saleen. I looked at an F80 M3 as well.

I really liked the M3 and considered getting one as a daily driver. Fantastic car but just not as much grip/fun/excitement as a 911.

The turbo is fantastic but if I didn't have my specific one (prior owner was a billionaire and did over $40k in mods to it) I'd go for a 997.2 S or GTS instead personally. The N/A motor is really fun and on top of that it's a little cheaper when things break. Having 2 turbochargers crammed into that small engine bay means lots of headaches when you have to do service.

Coming from a mustang when you get into the exotic car game prepare your wallet. Rear tires on a 911 last about 10k miles for instance. When something breaks it's a lot more expensive than a mustang and porsches are on the low end in terms of maintenance/reliability.

The saleen is like the fun safe girl you marry. She'll always reliably be there for you and she's low maintenance. The 911 is like the smokin' hot supermodel. She'll suck down money like crazy but once you've had a taste it's really hard not to have it in your life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saleen and 911.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	19336

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 02-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
Maybe I can help you out here. I have a 997.1 turbo and the 02 S/C saleen. I looked at an F80 M3 as well.

I really liked the M3 and considered getting one as a daily driver. Fantastic car but just not as much grip/fun/excitement as a 911.

The turbo is fantastic but if I didn't have my specific one (prior owner was a billionaire and did over $40k in mods to it) I'd go for a 997.2 S or GTS instead personally. The N/A motor is really fun and on top of that it's a little cheaper when things break. Having 2 turbochargers crammed into that small engine bay means lots of headaches when you have to do service.

Coming from a mustang when you get into the exotic car game prepare your wallet. Rear tires on a 911 last about 10k miles for instance. When something breaks it's a lot more expensive than a mustang and porsches are on the low end in terms of maintenance/reliability.

The saleen is like the fun safe girl you marry. She'll always reliably be there for you and she's low maintenance. The 911 is like the smokin' hot supermodel. She'll suck down money like crazy but once you've had a taste it's really hard not to have it in your life.

Attachment 19336

Thanks for your perspective. The M3 will be my daily driver. I am aware that german cars are quite expensive to maintain. The reason why i am only leasing the M. Glad to hear your thoughts on the porsche. I will seriously be considering one as a toy (5K a year) when my truck is paid for.