The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-25-2009
SOEC Member

Default Saleen Recaro Seat Pictures

Could someone post a picture of what the Saleen Recaro seats looked like?

I think I read that the 03-04 seats were different looking than the 02 and prior.

I'm looking for pictures of both the 03-04 as well as the ones before that for a comparison.

Did they ever make them in any color besides charcoal?

Also...anyone that has them.....feel free to weigh in whether you like them or not!

Thanks!!!

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 03-25-2009
Inactive Account

Do you have a copy of the Saleen Book? If so look page 195 or 215. I think it was 2002 they changed to cutom seat. I have some pics at home I will try and post them tonight.
Old 03-25-2009
SOEC Member

Thanks! I just checked the saleen book and saw a couple of pictures. I was trying to figure out if it always said "saleen by recaro" or if it ever just said "saleen" between 99 and 2004 and if the style has ever changed. I was looking back at pictures that I took of saleens at car shows and it's a little hard to figure out what's a knockoff and what's real.

I saw another post on here....I guess Dave said that they made the seats two toned in 2004?

Thanks for all your help Greg!

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
Old 03-25-2009
Inactive Account

I have seen them both ways, I prefer the Recaro's, that is why I purcashed my 01 and XP they had the Recaro's.

Laura and Mark were ready to kill me we would find the perfect car but no Recaro so I would pass on it.

Let me see what I can dig up tonight and Dave has a great collection pics let's see what he can find.
Old 03-25-2009
Administrator

I'm Joe Schmo.

My observations and leanings through the years.

The Recaro Trend was the optional Saleen seat from 1998-2002. 1998 seats would have the old(er) Saleen logo and come covered in material hues to match the 1998 Ford interior offerings. I've seen these in black leather, black cloth, dove leather, sand leather.

1999-2002 Saleen/Recaro Trends would feature the updated Saleen logo. I've seen these in charcoal/black cloth, charcoal leather, sand leather.

Of interest, maybe, the last 1999/2000 S351 built features a dove colored Ford interior with charcoal leather Saleen Recaros.

Robert's 1997 Press/Internal S351 has a dual Recaro logo. The standard "Recaro" stitch you would find on an over-the-counter Recaro sold seat and the "Saleen by Recaro" stitch found on Saleen supplied Recaro seats.

The rebuilt OE Ford/Saleen seating dubuted in 2003. These were standard across all S281 lines, Extremes included. They came in a single charcoal leather with a lone "Saleen" stitched logo w/ the flying-S.

I can recall looking at a new 2003 Saleen S281 convertible with a Ford sand colored interior equipped with charcoal Saleen seating. Pure speculation, but I would figure in 2003 regardless of the Ford interior plastic color... you recieved charcoal seats.

The 2003 SA-20 featured the Saleen seating in a tu-tone charcoal with white leather inserts.

With 2004 the rebuilt Ford seating frames carried over, but the charcoal cover was changed to a tu-two with a dove hued insert. Also, a tu-tone beige Saleen seat was added for chassis's equipped with sand interiors.

Photos barrowed from my new best friend Mark LaM of PAS fame.

Top two are black cloth 1994-1997 Saleen Recaros.
Bottom two are charcoal leather 1999-2002 Saleen Recaros.

Bottom: 2003 charcoal Saleen seating.

Bottom: 2003 SA-20 Saleen seating.

Bottom: 2004 charcoal tu-tone Saleen seating. (Image via Jake.)

Bottom: 2003-04 Saleen seating logo.

Jake added the 2004 Saleen seating to his 2002:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=4748

We also talked about seats here:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=4269
Old 03-25-2009
Inactive Account

The first pic is 2004, the second is XP, and the last two are 2001
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
the second is XP

Coooool!

That's a Recaro Style / Topline (I believe). I don't believe those found their way into Mustangs.

The top of the seat is more broad than a Recaro Trend and has a slight recess for the headrest.

Great to see a photo of it.
Old 03-26-2009
SOEC Member

Outstanding! Thanks Dave and Greg! I'm going to check out some recaro seats this weekend. Now I'm armed with some good info.

Before this thread....I would have guessed the 2004 seats weren't real since they didn't mention recaros and they were two tone. Thanks for the clarification!

Got any pictures of the back seats for a 99-02? Did they change at all from stock?

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 03-26-2009
Suspended Account

I want, badly!!
Old 03-26-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

My XP 8 has the grey leather recaro seats with black saleen logo, I don't know if the rest was all produced in charcoal?
but I have the older style saleen logo which I was told was specially done for the SEMA, plus my headrests and center where the saleen/recaro logo's are, are perforated.
I ll see if I can post some pics tomorrow.

Henni
Old 03-26-2009
Suspended Account

I really dig the cloth seats.

Wonder how hard it'd be to find them.
Old 03-26-2009
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
My XP 8 has the grey leather recaro seats with black saleen logo, I don't know if the rest was all produced in charcoal?
but I have the older style saleen logo which I was told was specially done for the SEMA, plus my headrests and center where the saleen/recaro logo's are, are perforated.
I ll see if I can post some pics tomorrow.

Henni
Henni,

My understanding is only a couple of XPs were built with the Black int. I was told I don't have this a fact that two Black on Black XPs were built in 99. Not sure of the other years.
Old 03-26-2009

I like those black seats in the black trucks, black on black looks great.
The story about the seats was told by the first owner of my XP8, which was Jeff and he was working at Rich Ford in NM at that time.

Hennie
Old 03-26-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
Outstanding! Thanks Dave and Greg! I'm going to check out some recaro seats this weekend. Now I'm armed with some good info.
No problem. I've been a "look and learn" person for years.

Quote:
Got any pictures of the back seats for a 99-02? Did they change at all from stock?
Yes. Any Saleen vehicle with the Recaro option also received a specific rear seat cover that would match the front Recaro cover design. The rear Recaro covers where not logoed.

Finding a matched set (complete set) of a Saleen Recaro interior, for a specified body style and year, can be a rewarding task.

Seeing Greg's 2001 Recaros without the perforation material and unstiched "by RECARO" show a varience exists. First time I've seen those, I think.

Though... personally, the Saleen Recaros are an item I'd have no issue with seeing an owner "repop." The base seats still exist and a qualified interior person can stitch the logo. A rear seat cover could be an issue... or not. Not sure if Recaro has a pattern library or an option to provide a matching rear cover to various vehicles.

Since you have a line on an interior set, best wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
I want, badly!!
Yes, yes.

Quote:
I really dig the cloth seats.

Wonder how hard it'd be to find them.
Depends on who has what and who damages what in the future. The cloth seats photoed are the 1994-1997 Saleen/Recaros in black cloth.

Your best case is to find a damaged S351. Option for the S281s of the same vintage, but fairly uncommon to find one equipped.

I think we determined those to be the Recaro "L Series" seat. You can find these used without the open headrest. If you criuse the JDM houses in CA... you might be able to find a used seat with the open headrest with the spec grid-pattern insert. If not... then you could always use the Recaros with the trademark fishnet insert.

The spec Recaro seat for your 1999 would also be the Trend series. Saleen offered these in cloth as well.

RECARO Trend Series --> recaro.com

Recaro Seats --> seatsource.com

RECARO LX-VS Seat --> recaro.japan

We also talked seats here:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=4269

Last edited by Dave; 03-27-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2009

this is what my seats look like
Attached Thumbnails
front seat saleen logo.JPG  

Attached Images

Old 03-27-2009
Suspended Account

Dave, your knowledge and helpful hints never cease to amaze me.

Rockin'.

Those open headrest/fishnet seats are spectacular....

Should make for a good way to kill several hours at the office trying to CSI a pair.
Old 03-27-2009
SOEC Member

Borrowed a friend's truck today and drove 2 hours to go buy the saleen seats. They wouldn't even SHOW them to me because the owner wasn't around. The guy refused to take a picture of them and told me I had to come in person if I wanted them. So when I show up....then they tell me to come back a different day when the owner is around.

What a waste of time.

So I guess I'll keep looking....

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 03-27-2009
Administrator

Quote:

So I guess I'll keep looking....
Bummer.

Quote:
Dave, your knowledge and helpful hints never cease to amaze me.

Rockin'.

Those open headrest/fishnet seats are spectacular....

Should make for a good way to kill several hours at the office trying to CSI a pair.
There are people who know more.

Keep in mind that the correct halo headrest insert for a 1994-97 Saleen is a hard/fixed grid pattern. The soft fishnet is a more common Recaro find. (Exception being the 1992-93 Saleen/Recaro halo headrest.)

The west coast JDM importers tend to receive a container each month of used speed parts from Japan. Not sure how the economy has hit those businesses. There are also importers in Canada doing the same thing.

One thing you can always do, something I've done, make a connection at some of those places... supply a photo of what you're looking for and if you know, a part/series number/name as well.

In the end... I still think finding an original Saleen/Recaro interior would be more cost effective. Figure buying material, effort to recover, stitch the logos and any unforeseen costs.

On the other side... if you're looking to do a custom pair of seats... like placing an L-Series Recaro in a 1999... which Saleen did not offer... then you have the chance to cover the seat in a matching charcoal leather (or cloth) and adding the updated Saleen logo used first in 1999.

Finished correctly... you could leave someone scratching their head after viewing... and sometimes that's as much fun as the "real thing."
Old 03-27-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
this is what my seats look like
I like the light seat with the dark logo. Glad to see they elected not to color match the logo.

Awesome!
Old 03-27-2009
Administrator

This would be similar to what Saleen used in 1992-93:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=280326581438

Alternative to real Saleen/Recaros... but find a pair in the states w/ the halo rests:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150334189666
Old 03-30-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

On the other side... if you're looking to do a custom pair of seats... like placing an L-Series Recaro in a 1999... which Saleen did not offer... then you have the chance to cover the seat in a matching charcoal leather (or cloth) and adding the updated Saleen logo used first in 1999.

Finished correctly... you could leave someone scratching their head after viewing... and sometimes that's as much fun as the "real thing."

heh heh. That sounds more up my alley. I love puzzling people.
Old 03-31-2009
Administrator

Quote:
heh heh. That sounds more up my alley. I love puzzling people.
Something like these Recaros could be a good find. Close. These feature the pull-outs for support behind your knees. I forget the terminology. I had a long day. Saleen used a solid bottom.
Old 03-31-2009
Suspended Account

We have a local print/embroidery shop in town (it's actually about 300' from my house). I bet they could embroider the Saleen logo on those...
Old 02-24-2011
SOEC Member

My 03 has the full charcoal. I like them, but the passenger side squeeks to no end. It constantly rubs against the door panel. Other that that they are pretty good. Durable. When i gut the interior though I am going to replace it with a softer leather and body color middle panels. Sides will still remain the same color. They absolutely did use a dif seat on the 99-02 though. If Im not mistaken, they were the stock GTs.
2001 GT--TOTALED
2001 V6--Sold
Old 02-24-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftLane_94 View Post
I like them, but the passenger side squeeks to no end. It constantly rubs against the door panel.
Seriously! The squeak drives me mad after a while haha... i find myself reaching over to try and pull the seat away from the door...

My 04 seats

Old 02-24-2011
Administrator

Quote:
They absolutely did use a dif seat on the 99-02 though. If Im not mistaken, they were the stock GTs.
The Recaros were an option on non-Extreme (2002) S281 models from 1999-02. For the most part Saleen used the rebuilt stock Ford frames as standard equipment across all lines in 2003-04.
Old 02-24-2011

Every car did that. Recaros or not Recaros. One option, if it drives you that crazy, would be to put a small piece of mole skin or window felt type material either on the door or the seat where it's contacting.
Old 02-25-2011
SOEC Member

LOL, or you can spray WD40 on the side that squeaks or some Armoral to make it slick. LOL!!! My Cobra seats don't rub at all.
Old 02-26-2011
Account with Invalid Email

I would loosen the seat bolts and have a friend pull the seat towards the center console then re-tighten the bolts, they do get lose from time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
Seriously! The squeak drives me mad after a while haha... i find myself reaching over to try and pull the seat away from the door...
Old 02-26-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.saleen View Post
I would losen the seat bolts and hvae a friend pull the seat towards the center consle then retighten the bolts, they do get lose from time.
AWESOME IDEA. Why didnt I think of this months ago?
2001 GT--TOTALED
2001 V6--Sold
Old 03-30-2011

Old 04-03-2011

Quote:
AWESOME IDEA. Why didnt I think of this months ago?
haha its ok, let me know if this works!
Old 04-03-2011

Those are the 03-04 style...basicly rewrapped ford seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoststalker27 View Post
Old 05-10-2012
SOEC Member

I just bought some new unused Recaro seats black leather seats that were used on the 1999-2002 Saleens and 1998 S351's but I need the brackets. Did someone say that we can use the Ford stock brackets as the base for the Recaro's? Any info is greatly apprecated.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black