The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 05-31-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default What products do you use on your Saleen?

Just wondering what products everyone here uses on their Saleen's?

I'll admit i started like a real noob. I just used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray... but I eventually started using the Mothers Ultimate Wax system (the three stage setup) which worked OK at best... decent shine, kinda weak durability.

I currently run 2 coats of Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 topped by 2 coats of AutoGlym HD Wax... as for interior surfaces and other exterior pieces (tires, trim & moldings) I currently use Mothers products.

Old 05-31-2011
Suspended Account

use all of Zaino products on the exterior and meguiars purple tire stuff on the tires.
Old 05-31-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

all i use is Zaino bros. products
Old 06-01-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I've heard good things about Ziano products. I'll probably get around to trying them eventually. i have some Poorboy's Natty Blue on it's way for the summer.

Also, for those with Leather interior, what products do you use? I'm using Mothers leather cleaner and leather conditioner and it's been fantastic. I've been eyeing the Zymol leather cleaner and leather conditioner at a local Pepboys but... can't do it just yet. lol
Old 06-01-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

This is with the Mothers Ultimate Wax System: applied poorly as i was still (and am still currently) learning proper techniques.

I don't have any pictures with the current TW2.0/AG HD wax... but it's a little darker and hides imperfections better, but lacks some of the sheer gloss and "flake pop" of the Mothers
Old 06-02-2011
SOEC Member

I use nothing but Mothers products on my '07. Even with only 4,000 garage kept miles after I used the clay bar and wax the shine, depth, and glassy finish was superb. People asked what I did to the factory finish or if I had some clear coat sprayed on.

The leather cleaner/protectant fares well also.
Old 06-02-2011
SOEC Member

Use nothing but Zaino on my saleen's
Old 06-08-2011
Suspended Account

Zaino .
I only have a few coats on it now but wait til after summer !
Attached Images

Last edited by ex-lawnman; 06-15-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2011
SOEC Member

No Water and nothing but CroftgateUSA. www.autoappearanceplus.net
Old 06-09-2011

I'm a Meguiar's fan...One of the reasons is that they ALWAYS respond with products and literature for our local charity car show. Others don't...

Lately, I prefer the Ultimate series with a DA- compound, polish, and wax (after clay, of course). White's tough to get "shine" pics, but here's one. I'll have post-detail pics of the Red 91 in the next couple weeks...

#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold
Old 06-09-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
I'm a Meguiar's fan...One of the reasons is that they ALWAYS respond with products and literature for our local charity car show. Others don't...

Lately, I prefer the Ultimate series with a DA- compound, polish, and wax (after clay, of course). White's tough to get "shine" pics, but here's one. I'll have post-detail pics of the Red 91 in the next couple weeks...

Meguiar's is great stuff. The Ultimate line is fantastic on lighter colored vehicles. I use Meguiar's on my daily driver white Civic. I've also used Meguiar's on my friend's white BMW with great results.

Old 06-12-2011
Banned

In the past Saleen actually recommend Meguiar;s product to treat the BASF paint jobs.
Ive stick with Meguiar's from day one and I can whole heartedly say to words "Shine'n MAD!" I dunno about the next guys car but the carnuba wash alone works fantastic in combination with the polish and carnuba wax, its unbeatable. it last's, it doesnt change colors, works great in hot and cold weather and very easy to apply.
The body feels baby smooth to the touch, and best of all it performs as ive mentioned without the need for daily garaging. By far my choice is Meguiars.
Old 06-13-2011
SOEC Member

Thought on Eagle One?? Saleen was offering their Detail kit with each Saleen Purchased.
Old 06-13-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEVIOUS View Post
In the past Saleen actually recommend Meguiar;s product to treat the BASF paint jobs.
Ive stick with Meguiar's from day one and I can whole heartedly say to words "Shine'n MAD!" I dunno about the next guys car but the carnuba wash alone works fantastic in combination with the polish and carnuba wax, its unbeatable. it last's, it doesnt change colors, works great in hot and cold weather and very easy to apply.
The body feels baby smooth to the touch, and best of all it performs as ive mentioned without the need for daily garaging. By far my choice is Meguiars.
+1 I use Meguiars also. Show car glaze #7 and the carnuba wax.

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold
Old 06-13-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Front grill/air dam

What is the best brush/cleaner to use to clean the lower front grill and the lower air dam?
Old 06-13-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
Thought on Eagle One?? Saleen was offering their Detail kit with each Saleen Purchased.
My personal experience with EagleOne products has left much to be desired. Their waxes are easy to use, but lack true shine and luster... and don't last all that long. Their protectant's and such are so-so and i'd compare to ArmorAll (barf) and their tire shine is okay. The tire shine gel is not bad. But not great. Their car wash soap is also only so-so and is easily out paced my Meguiar's soaps or Mothers.

Tho i admit i haven't used any of their "Nano" branded products.
Old 06-18-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

I bought the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and I will say it really surprised me how shiny my car was afterwards. For the interior I bought Armor All Natural Finish Detailer protectant wipes and leather wipes, but where I live it's HOT (it's the desert, what else do I expect lol) so the wipes seemed to dry out pretty fast. What leather conditioner does everyone recommend? I like the natural finish wipes for the interior instead of the "greasy" finish. I also bought the Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool and the next day I noticed in the sun that my windows looked "streaky" so I'm not sure this was worth the money. Guess I’ll just have to go back to standing on a stool to reach my windows lol.
Old 06-18-2011
Banned

I do have to say at some point you should use a good scratch remover/cleaner not to mention a claybar and youl be surprised just how much carbon and micro pebble imperfections has built of over time even with all the polishing and waxing. I remember the first time using a cleaner and couldnt believe the difference from what appeared to be clean.

It also makes a big difference to get a windshield cleaner and wax as well. Foremost thing about a new car is just how clean and clear the windows are. the view is always crystal clear without those millions of micro pebble indentures, like a pair of brand new sun glasses, but over time the degradation becomes much more worst than youd think.
Old 06-18-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsStang06 View Post
What is the best brush/cleaner to use to clean the lower front grill and the lower air dam?
I tend to use paint brushes from either artist supply stores or from the chain craft stores for exterior detailing. See if there is a sale. I use normal car wash soap.
Old 06-18-2011

Quote:
I bought the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and I will say it really surprised me how shiny my car was afterwards.
I just bought two bottles of that soap yesterday. I tried it today and thought it turned out great too. Little pricey but I got it at 25% off at the local Canadian Tire store this week. It smells nice too.
Old 06-19-2011
Banned

Ive always and only used the cheaper Meguiars Deep Crystal wash and its always been fine with me, The most recent bottle i purchased has carnuba wax imbedded in its formula. Always looks great but i still polish and wax the car after a good wash, either the same day or a day or two later when the cars still clean.

ONE thing for sure,, why do people use the spray-brooms at the local self wash? ARE PEOPLE CRAZY!! all the dirt grime sand and rocks from the last 1000 people as well as all thats picked up from the ground resides in the bristles and people just go and rake it across there cars ruining the paint,and scratches galoure! Never Never use those things, just get a rag and a towel thats it, the high pressure spray will take care of any grit on the surface.

An to be honest, I just about never goto an automated car wash, the chemicals they use (depending on the location) can easily strip your cars clearcoat. If youve notice how people that go to em, there cars paint look clean but somehow thin.. not deep or rich, and you always see swirls, all for the same reasons as mentioned.
Brushless car washes are a bit better but again, the chemicals used could be very VERY bad.

Last edited by XEVIOUS; 06-20-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
I bought the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and I will say it really surprised me how shiny my car was afterwards.
The Meg's Ultimate line is pretty decent. Keep in mind that tho it's called "Wash and Wax", it is in fact a synthetic polymer sealant. Everything in the Meg's Ultimate line is designed around their Synthetic "hydrophobic" polymer sealants technology. Things to keep in mind is that Polymer sealants don't adhere well to dirty/contaminated paint. Also, polymer sealants will have trouble bonding OVER a coat of carnauba wax, so if you've waxed your car with a carnauba (Meg's gold class, mothers pure carnauba) you should be washing the car with a soap infused with carnauba, (Mothers Carnauba Wash & Wax, Meg's Deep Crystal) not polymers, to help replenish the wax and extend the durability.

Quote:
for the interior I bought Armor All Natural Finish Detailer protectant wipes and leather wipes, but where I live it's HOT (it's the desert, what else do I expect lol) so the wipes seemed to dry out pretty fast. What leather conditioner does everyone recommend? I like the natural finish wipes for the interior instead of the "greasy" finish.
Mothers VLR "Vinyl Leather Rubber" is a great multi-purpose interior care product. It can be used on everything from the dash to the leather seats, and cleans, conditions, and protects.

Last edited by 1hot281; 06-20-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2011
Administrator

Quote:
I also bought the Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool and the next day I noticed in the sun that my windows looked "streaky" so I'm not sure this was worth the money.
I use ZEP Glass Cleaner on my windows. I've been using this product since the late 1990s. I do not believe I've noticed streaked windows. This cleaner can be found in your local home improvement stores.
Old 01-16-2012

I use Adams Products only on my car. I love the ease of all of there whole product line.

2002 S/C Saleen Coupe
Torch Red #293
21st Century Heat Exchanger
21st Century Intercooler
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
Old 06-20-2012
SOEC Member

New on market Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer

Works great!!!!

1 of 4 Saleens produced in 2006 with this color/option package #969

· JLT CAI/ 373 gears/ 3.25 Pulley/ Upgraded vacuum lines,
· GT500 Fuel Pump/ Pre gapped plugs/ MGW Shifter/39lb injectors
· Custom Dynojet Tuned/ MSD Digital Shift Light/ SCT Tuner.
· Car pulled 466 RWH/421 Torque on dyno only at 6400 RPM
Old 08-15-2012
SOEC Member

I have been cleaning cars for over 40 years and always been looking for the best for my cars. I used Mother for many years untill I found Adam´s products. They are just THE BEST and if you are not sure how to take care of you car they show you how to. Go to www.adamspolishes.com and see what they offer and look at the videos. The only negative thing is they use Corvettes to show how to use there products
Saleen Sterling #15 10.847@132 MPH,
Saleen 2006 #1116 10.22@133 MPH
1966 Mustang Coupe

Reykjavik Iceland
Old 08-18-2012
SOEC Member

I am a tried and true user of Griot's Garage Products. Their polish compounds are the best when used in conjunction with a D/A machine polisher. A little spendy, but ABSOLUTELY worth it!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/
Old 08-18-2012

I just re-read this thread and realized that I never posted pics of the 91 after detailing...

#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold
Old 09-23-2012
SOEC Member

Adams FTW

Mid-South Mustang Club
Old 09-24-2012
SOEC Member

Beautiful car!
Old 11-28-2012
SOEC Member

ZAINO

Old 11-30-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cobra456 View Post
ZAINO

That looks great! I've been slightly interested in picking up some of the new Zaino... are your pictures using the old Z-2? Z-5? Or the new formulations Z-2 PRO/Z-5 PRO?
Old 11-30-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cobra456 View Post
ZAINO

I think it's safe to say, that tree in the background is dead.

Your finish looks amazing!

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 11-30-2012
SOEC Member

LOL@Nightstalker.

I use Wolfgang products.
Old 12-01-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
That looks great! I've been slightly interested in picking up some of the new Zaino... are your pictures using the old Z-2? Z-5? Or the new formulations Z-2 PRO/Z-5 PRO?
yes i am using the new formulas and this is only about2 coats of z2 on top of 3-5 coats of z5. cant wait till spring to really see what this z2 can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
I think it's safe to say, that tree in the background is dead.

Your finish looks amazing!
Yeah, our neighbors as a whole are. well, you know, everyones got one. and thank you
Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Adams, nuff said.
Old 06-02-2013
SOEC Member

I will have to say I used Meguiars /Mothers and Adams quick detailer, but this last time I went to the local Wal-Mart to pick some up, they were all sold out. I stumbled on a product that I never seen before by Zymol called Deep gloss detailer spray, only one bottle left so I bought it.
I have to say I like this product, I got caught in the rain and when I came home to wipe the car down, I could not believe that almost all of the water beaded up and ran off the car. I started to wipe what water was left on it and to my amazement the paint surface was still slick.
I don’t think I am going back to the other products.

1 of 4 Saleens produced in 2006 with this color/option package #969

· JLT CAI/ 373 gears/ 3.25 Pulley/ Upgraded vacuum lines,
· GT500 Fuel Pump/ Pre gapped plugs/ MGW Shifter/39lb injectors
· Custom Dynojet Tuned/ MSD Digital Shift Light/ SCT Tuner.
· Car pulled 466 RWH/421 Torque on dyno only at 6400 RPM
Old 06-03-2013
SOEC Member

I will still stay loyal to the Mothers brand...I have had great success with their products...
Old 06-03-2013
SOEC Member

I use a wide variety: mothers, meguiars, griots, adams, and chemical guys. They all have their good/bad stuff, but by far chemical guys is my overall favorite product line. You get so much bang for your buck its just unreal. Don't get me wrong I love adams towels and vrt and I also enjoy griots speed shine and blue speed shine towels. But the two are entirely too expensive! For what I would pay for 1 gallon of adams quick detailer, I can get almost 2 gallons of chemical guys speed wipe or close to 3/4 gallons of meguiars final/last touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2013
SOEC Member

Default Waxes and other products

I used to use a variety of brands but have recently found a local company here in Illinois called Obsessive Detail.com and so far have tried their WET OBSESSION wax and their PIG SPIT cleaner and detalier and so far I really like them. The wax lasts a while and makes the car look wet and is very easy to lay on and take off even in direct sunlight.
Old 09-03-2013
SOEC Member

I just clay barred and waxed my car yesterday morning (took 4 hours!); then took her to a local show and won a nice placard. The finish is like glass!

Mothers clay bar kit
Mothers synthetic wax

highly recommended!
Old 09-05-2013

I use Menzerna products and a Flex orbital buffer 3401XC.
For wax I use Pinnacle Souveran.
I put this on both my Saleens and my GT500.

TTSaleen Youtube Channel