The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 07-18-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q: Series VI Supercharger Rebuild? - 2008 Racecraft

Hello,

I have a 2008 Racecraft with 32,000 miles on it. I have had it for 10 years and have put 3,000 miles on it since I have owned it. I have been told I need a new supercharger on it and when I asked how they know it, I was told they could determine by the sound the engines makes at idle. Does anyone know if that makes sense? Do you know how to test for such a problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Racecraft Rod
Old 07-19-2020
Administrator

Is there chatter or metal-on-metal noise?

Check the supercharger oil for metal particles?

Are you in the USA?
Old 07-19-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. There may be a little bit of a rattle, but not much, if at all. Good idea to check the oil for metal fragments. And yes, I live in Meridian, Idaho. BTW, do you know if I would get a check engine light if there was a problem?

Rod
Old 07-23-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Pull the belt off and check the two idler pulleys and tensioner pulley for bad bearings.
Old 06-10-2021
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecraftrod View Post
Hello,

I have a 2008 Racecraft with 32,000 miles on it. I have had it for 10 years and have put 3,000 miles on it since I have owned it. I have been told I need a new supercharger on it and when I asked how they know it, I was told they could determine by the sound the engines makes at idle. Does anyone know if that makes sense? Do you know how to test for such a problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Racecraft Rod

Doesn't make sense if he didn't qualify exactly how "he" or "they" knew. Saleens sometimes have a rattle at idle, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Likely trying to sell you on another supercharger or some "repair" work. Check your snout for leakage or seepage. If it's dry - probably ok, but you can always check the reservoir and make sure it's full. The sc oil in there should be good for 50,000 miles. As long as it's running strong and the oil is full or replaced I would have confidence in it.

Last edited by lenko; 06-10-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add