The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-08-2005
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default hey guys, performance questions for 05 saleen

hey all, took delivery of my S281-3v beast yesterday...

quick couple of questions tho

1) Best induction system?
2) Will it cause problems to put an induction system and decat pipes on the car?

3) What power mods (bar the supercharger) should i be doing?

thanks 8)
Old 07-16-2005
Saleen Forums Participant

Don't have the answers, but I'd love to hear them myself! Anybody with some wisdom on any of these questions, please share your thoughts....
Old 09-29-2005
Suspended Account

My dealer qoutes that on the power mods that they can replace the air box and reflash the chip and gain 25 to 30 HP. This has been measured on dyno. I saw the before and after curves with HP and torque gains from the mods.

I do not have any other info at this as I just bought my car 4 days ago. I can ask for more info if you like.
Old 11-08-2005
Suspended Account

TRY LONG TUBE HEADERS H-PIPE, C-L MAKES A COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT
W/DIABLO PROGRAMMER..
Old 11-11-2005
Suspended Account

I added a Stedda Air Box, change my injectors to 39 psi reporgrammed the chip with a SCT programmer. We went from 376 RWHP to 418 RWHP. My car is Supercharged.
Old 01-11-2006
Suspended Account

Default Re: hey guys, performance questions for 05 saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa
hey all, took delivery of my S281-3v beast yesterday...

quick couple of questions tho

1) Best induction system?
2) Will it cause problems to put an induction system and decat pipes on the car?

3) What power mods (bar the supercharger) should i be doing?

thanks 8)
Try the JLT True Cold Air Intake. It has won several CAI shootouts in various mustang magazines. I installed it on my NA before I got my Vortech and was impressed. The system will gain you about 28 rwhp w/o a tune, though a tune is recommended by the manufacturer.

Since your car is naturally aspirated your aren't going see see much of a difference running w/o cats. If you end-up utilizing some sort of forced induction, then the removal of the cats can gain you a fair amount of HP.

As far as programmers go, my personal opinion is the SCT XCalibrator II. The device will allow you to store up to three tunes on the device at once. None of the other handheld programmers offer this functionality. I use the SCT on my SC car and can switch programs in about 30 seconds. This can be very handy if the octane rating of the fuel you put in your car vary from place to place or if you want to switch to NOS and have more fuel ecomomy out of the car. I have used the Predator system as well and like the SCT stuff much, much better. Additionally, SCT provides tuner software that will allow you to create custome tunes on your computer and then download them into your programmer.

As far as mods go, save your money and get a supercharger. WIth just a few minor mods and the labor invloved you will have spent nearly as much as a new blower and not have nearly the HP or fun that a blower provides IMO. Right now you can get a Vortech S-Trim blower, 39# injectors, a SCT XCalibrator II, and custom tuning from JMS Chip & Performance for $3299. That will put you into the 450 rwhp range and well beyond the stock SC Saleens.
Old 02-09-2006
Suspended Account

I would highly suggest TEAMJDM.COM those guys really do wonders with the SALEEN induction. A few bolt ons and you will go from 390rwhp to about 430+rwhp. Not only that but my car runs smoother, better gas mileage and no more Check Engine Light when at WOT through the high RPM's which was lean from the Saleen Tune. Jim Jr. was very helpful and knowledgeable. There are lots of Tuners out there, I just had good luck and very happy with their service.

Good Luck