The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-27-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Suggestions: Performance improvments for 2002 S281 SC?

I am a new 2002 Saleen S281sc owner. The car, obviously, is 12 years old but only has 4600 miles on it. Need some suggestions as to what I need to do to it for some small performance gains. Nothing crazy. I know there are the standard "cold-air intake"-"short throw shifter"-etc....but I am talking about headers or exhaust or cams. Which would you put in this car if it were yours? Talking about exhaust, which one can give me a deep,mellow rumble?? Im not in love with the raspy, crackle of most 4.6 exhausts. SO, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-27-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandolph3319 View Post
I am a new 2002 Saleen S281sc owner. The car, obviously, is 12 years old but only has 4600 miles on it. Need some suggestions as to what I need to do to it for some small performance gains. Nothing crazy. I know there are the standard "cold-air intake"-"short throw shifter"-etc....but I am talking about headers or exhaust or cams. Which would you put in this car if it were yours? Talking about exhaust, which one can give me a deep,mellow rumble?? Im not in love with the raspy, crackle of most 4.6 exhausts. SO, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! We are one of the resident shops here on the SOEC. If youd like to give us a ring, we can give you a consultation and some ideas. Let us know if we can help.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 06-27-2014
SOEC Member

Default Welcome

Quote:
Welcome to the forums... All that depends on your goals for the car, and what your going to use it for. Street cruiser, drags, road course ect.. How much do you want to spend? I like the Magnafow with the BBK LTH, and X-pipe for sound... Gives a deep throaty sound with not raspyness.

Syber
Old 07-17-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum, new here myself. Id say for good starting mods that iv done would be getting rid of that intercooler that comes with the supercharger kit. Went with a LightningForcePerformance. They have direct bolt ons for saleens. Also went with Borla Stinger S Type exhaust (should be here next week!) went with a 75mm throttlebody, my cold air intake was being choked by the stock ford one. I just know basics so these a few i went with, hope that helps!
Old 07-18-2014

Quote:

Welcome to the site.

If I had a 12 year old, unmolested Saleen with 4600 original miles, I wouldn't do anything to it. I'd preserve it and keep it original. Unmodified Saleens are getting harder and harder to find. That's just my .2 cents.

Enjoy your new Saleen!
2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 07-18-2014
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
Welcome to the site.

If I had a 12 year old, unmolested Saleen with 4600 original miles, I wouldn't do anything to it. I'd preserve it and keep it original. Unmodified Saleens are getting harder and harder to find. That's just my .2 cents.

Enjoy your new Saleen!
This.

At most, I would change the midpipe for a different exhaust tone. Swap out the stock 4-cat h-pipe for a catless Mac Prochamber.

Then, if the tires are 12-year old originals, I would put some new tires on it.

If you plan on driving it regularly, I would check all the suspension bushings and hoses for dryness or cracking. Replace them as necessary. Then swap all the fluids and filters. Then, mod for reliability. Upgrade the heat exchanger. Modify or upgrade the intercooler. MoSaleen or similar pulley setup. Then find a trustworthy tuner who knows their way around these cars, and get it dyno tuned. The stock Saleen tune is far from optimal, and tuning can not only yield some extra power, but with a safer and consistent AFR, better drivability and reliability.
Old 07-23-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
This.

At most, I would change the midpipe for a different exhaust tone. Swap out the stock 4-cat h-pipe for a catless Mac Prochamber.

Then, if the tires are 12-year old originals, I would put some new tires on it.

If you plan on driving it regularly, I would check all the suspension bushings and hoses for dryness or cracking. Replace them as necessary. Then swap all the fluids and filters. Then, mod for reliability. Upgrade the heat exchanger. Modify or upgrade the intercooler. MoSaleen or similar pulley setup. Then find a trustworthy tuner who knows their way around these cars, and get it dyno tuned. The stock Saleen tune is far from optimal, and tuning can not only yield some extra power, but with a safer and consistent AFR, better drivability and reliability.
This guy it the nail on the head