The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-05-2014
Account with Invalid Email

Default Please Help: Fluidyne Radiator?

Hey guys. I'm noticing more and more done to this car every day. Good stuff too man this car is sweet.
Anyways, I just noticed this car has a Fluidyne Radiator in it. So I'm wondering. Is it possible that it also has an upgraded heat exchanger etc how would I tell. I know these pics won't help but anyways. This Fluidyne is good stuff isn't it??

Probably can't tell from this pic. But how do I tell if it has a aftermarket heat exchanger etc?? Sorry this is my first SC Mustang I'm learning the ropes!!

2000 Performance Red Convertible S281-SC #00-899
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...80af30dbf7.jpg
2002 F-250 6" Lift 24" Rockstars 37" Toyos tons of mods
2006 Lexus GS430 tons of mods
1998 Lexus GS400 tons of mods
41 Chevy Pickup no mods at all POS like all Chevy's
Old 07-17-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Hey man, she looks great! I purchased my Saleen about two years ago and was in the same boat, didnt know much about SC. The intercooler kit that comes with the model is made by Chicane. From what iv gathered it is crap, i recently replaced my heatexchange from LightingForcePerformance. Its hard to find aftermarket parts for our cars (atleast iv had a few times) but they made a direct bolt on for mine. Cant tell from the pictures but im sure yours is aftermarket.
Old 07-17-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messchild24 View Post
Hey man, she looks great! I purchased my Saleen about two years ago and was in the same boat, didnt know much about SC. The intercooler kit that comes with the model is made by Chicane. From what iv gathered it is crap, i recently replaced my heatexchange from LightingForcePerformance. Its hard to find aftermarket parts for our cars (atleast iv had a few times) but they made a direct bolt on for mine. Cant tell from the pictures but im sure yours is aftermarket.
I am pretty sure that Chicane did not make the intercoolers for the stock 99-04 Saleens. Maybe someone else can chime in on that... The Chicane design was a much better design that did not allow any air to go around the intercooler, but forced all the air to go through it. Most people who have the Chicane intecooler see some good HP gains because of the lower inlet temperature charge. The Chicane IC, HE, CAI, and 66mm SC pulley are some of the most common mods Chicane designed for our cars.

Syber
Old 07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyberSaint View Post
I am pretty sure that Chicane did not make the intercoolers for the stock 99-04 Saleens. Maybe someone else can chime in on that... The Chicane design was a much better design that did not allow any air to go around the intercooler, but forced all the air to go through it. Most people who have the Chicane intecooler see some good HP gains because of the lower inlet temperature charge. The Chicane IC, HE, CAI, and 66mm SC pulley are some of the most common mods Chicane designed for our cars.

Syber
And since my car has a chicane CAI, 66mm pulley , then I wonder if it doesn't also have a HE, and IC as well. Is there any pics I could get you guys that you could tell me for sure what HE and IC my car has???
Old 07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messchild24 View Post
Thanks brother. It's definitely been a chore finding out what all is done to this car!! No doubt someone sunk some serious cash into it!!!
Old 07-18-2014

I don't think Chicane made anything that was considered "crap". From everything I've read, his stuff is the holy grail of parts.
2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 07-18-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
I don't think Chicane made anything that was considered "crap". From everything I've read, his stuff is the holy grail of parts.
I totally agree with you Holmes

Syber
Old 07-18-2014

Man this thing has a coolant leak I can see coolant dripping just behind the crankshaft pulley I noticed it putting new Gatorback on. Wasn't leaking much if any until I replaced belt then size of a dollar dripped out while putting belt on. But no more until I took it for a drive about 2 hours into it low coolant light came on I was couple inches low in bottle. Any idea where it's coming from I can't seem to find it.
Old 07-19-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Coolant

If it's around crank area I would suspect water pump or intake
Old 07-19-2014
SOEC Member

Chicane made an after market intercooler kit and it was awesome. I don't believe that Chicane made a heat exchanger, at least he never mentioned to it when I spoke to him about it. If you are leaking behind the crank pulley, I would have to believe, as previously mentioned, that it is the water pump, especially if you had too small of a belt on previously as it would have put a lot of stress on the water pump.
Old 07-19-2014
SOEC Member

If your looking for a great intercooler, you may want to check out Tom @ 21stCenturyPerformance.com He sells Chicane style ICs, steel braided IC lines, and heat exchangers that are a DIRECT replacement for our cars.. I don.t think that the LFP HE has the mounts for our 2 IC fans and it has to be modified for them to fit. Tom's does... Also the LFP IC does not have the welded plate that directs the air through the IC. You have to buy the plate separate off of ebay and have it welded in. That makes the LFP IC just as much as Toms if not more... Just sayin....
Old 07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Chicane made an after market intercooler kit and it was awesome. I don't believe that Chicane made a heat exchanger, at least he never mentioned to it when I spoke to him about it. If you are leaking behind the crank pulley, I would have to believe, as previously mentioned, that it is the water pump, especially if you had too small of a belt on previously as it would have put a lot of stress on the water pump.
Actually the previous belt was 2" too long. I'm betting it's water pump too. I'm trying to fing time to investigate. Business is kicking my ****.
Old 07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyberSaint View Post
If your looking for a great intercooler, you may want to check out Tom @ 21stCenturyPerformance.com He sells Chicane style ICs, steel braided IC lines, and heat exchangers that are a DIRECT replacement for our cars.. I don.t think that the LFP HE has the mounts for our 2 IC fans and it has to be modified for them to fit. Tom's does... Also the LFP IC does not have the welded plate that directs the air through the IC. You have to buy the plate separate off of ebay and have it welded in. That makes the LFP IC just as much as Toms if not more... Just sayin....
It may have a great intercooler that what's bad. I have no way to be able to tell. Everything else major was upgraded so I would be surprised if it wasn't as well. I do know the IC temp gauge in the dash never gets above about 120. And I live in TX and drive the **** out of it. Where would or could I get a close up picture for you guys to be able to tell me if it's got an aftermarket intercooler and/or what kind. What's the difference in a heat exchanger and intercooler or is it the same thing??
Also I've got to put it in the shop because they told me the rear axle seals are leaking. Went ahead and bought new slotted performance rotors and ceramic pads for the rear while shop is doing rear axle seals and new brakes. But $500 to get it done sucks now looks like I got a water pump replacement to add to the costs....
Old 07-26-2014
SOEC Member

The intercooler sits under the blower, the heat exchanger is the radiator you can see in the lower openeing of the Saleen front bumber. It sounds like you have good water twemps, so maybe it has been replaced. Some things are really hard to tell from a photo...
Old 07-26-2014

Quote:
The intercooler sits under the blower, the heat exchanger is the radiator you can see in the lower openeing of the Saleen front bumber. It sounds like you have good water twemps, so maybe it has been replaced. Some things are really hard to tell from a photo...
I gotcha. So the HE is the radiator part that's in bumper cover and the intercooler sits under blower. I thought maybe they were the same thing. Lol. Shows you what I know. But I'm figuring all this stuff out. I had the water pump replaced with a new one in about 15 min. Doesn't get any easier to change out a water pump. Hardest part was getting old one off after I unbolted it I had to bang on it with a hammer a little then she came right out and new one slipped in 4 bolts holding water pump on and 4 bolts on the pulley, few Gatorback back on and I was off to the baseball state championship for my son 3 hours away and not a drop of coolant leaking anymore!!
I guess if you guys don't think you could tell if I got any good close up pics as far as which HE and IC my car has, then I'm hoping Dallas Mustangs can tell me when I get a chance to go by there. We hope to hit Gas Monkey Garage, then the bar and grill, and Dallas mustangs all in a weekend or something here shortly. Just been working 18 hours a day every day so it's been hard to get anywhere. Only thing I hate about this car is radiator and heat exchanger both seem to be a magnet for bugs. Worse than any other car. And of course the bugs booger up the fins on both rad and HE I hate how they beat it up like that. I took a short trip to town and got home my entire radiator and HE both were covered in grasshoppers. I mean dude it looked like I had driven my car miles through a field or something I have no idea how I get that many grasshoppers driving on the highway just a 10 mile trip. I mean both pieces were so covered there wasn't a square inch where there wasn't a grasshopper stuck to the fins. Crazy...
Old 07-27-2014
SOEC Member

You can probably fabricate a screen simlar to what is in the 4 smaller openeing in the front bumper to block the plague of locusts.
Old 07-27-2014

Quote:
You can probably fabricate a screen simlar to what is in the 4 smaller openeing in the front bumper to block the plague of locusts.
That's exactly what's I was thinking about doing for bumper opening and grille opening both. Do you think this would hurt performance or block airflow too much as long as I was to use a screen mesh similar to what's old easy on side vents and rear bumper etc??
Old 08-02-2014
SOEC Member

I don't believe it will hurt your performance... others have done it. Although, a ton of grasshoppers is a lot worse for performance than a grill...lol