The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-06-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 1999 Saleen maintenance question

Hey how’s it going guys? I'm pretty new here and have been having some supercharger rattle in my 99 S281 SC. I read some cool threads about what it could be etc, but I was wondering where y'all would recommend taking it to get worked on? Perhaps a Ford-Saleen dealer or SMS location? I'm in Houston, TX.
Thanks,
James.
Old 02-06-2012
Banned

I would immediately contact the supplier of the supercharger.
Unless its a purely Saleen supercharger. (which also -may- mean its made by a third party) Saleen used Vortech alot so if its one of those ide contact Vortech first. If theres a rattle, its -possibly- bad bearings. simular things happen with alternators or even water pumps go bad. In fact ide be surpised if it is the supercharger since theyre so enclosed and turn so fast, and nothing should be able to get inside of one unless the mass air filter was taken off.
If the impeller had a chip then the sound would be more of a biplane than a rattle and thats unlikely.

Never the less my advice would be to verify it is the supercharher
if so then contact the supplier.
good luck
Old 02-06-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Ok I appreciate the advise. It’s a saleen factory supercharger for the 1999 model. I guess I'll swing by the ford-saleen place closest to me.
thanks again.
Old 02-06-2012
SOEC Member

Here is some info on the Series I supercharger that you have on your 1999. But from the sounds of it I would have it serviced by either Stiegemeier or S281 Motorsports. You could have a snot bearing going bad, a rotor problem or the front gears going bad. I would have it checked out before you have some of the pieces of the supercharger sucked down into a cyilnder or the supercharger lock up on you.

Saleen Series I
The Series I supercharger is based on the Eaton M90 (1500cc) "roots-type" blower. Visually, the Series I can be distinguished by the flat top, small size, and natural finish. Some cars have "Saleen" lettering on the top of the supercharger case, others do not.

The Series I was first installed in the 10 1998 SA-15 cars. Those cars had a unique intake manifold to match the non-PI heads. Since it was VERY expensive to certify the system for only 10 cars, Saleen received an Executive Order that allowed them to install the Eaton M90 supercharger on those 10 cars after they "became" Saleen Mustangs.

In 1999, the Series I became available in April on any S-281 for $3995, or as part of a $6440 "R-code" package that included the 13" brake upgrade. Horsepower improved from 285hp @ 5100 to 350hp @5000 rpm with the supercharger installation. Torque jumped from 315 to 410 ft-lbs. Only 109 of the 373 S281 Mustangs were equipped with superchargers in 1999.

In 2000, the supercharged cars got their own pricing system, but were not designated as a separate model. Power figures remained the same as 1999. 435 of the 979 S281's produced were supercharged.

Old 02-07-2012
SOEC Member

**** Code Red... always full of interesting info. I am not sure how many miles you have on your car, but... Another thing to check, as I thought my SC was making a noise, is the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt. Mine was making a god awful noise, but it sounded like it was coming from the SC.
Old 02-07-2012
SOEC Member

+1 on that note! I had to change out my tensioner pulley once for that to, I also swapped out the idler pulley since it was on the car for the same amount of time. Come to find out that one was almost on its last leg to.
Old 02-07-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Wow thanks so much for the advice! Yeah when it started getting cold down here I noticed a rattling at wot. Anyway it’s been sitting for a few months, ready to get it back in action.
Thanks again for the advice and info!
Old 02-08-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

And if you don't have it, seriously consider adding the MoSaleen idler pulley. Aside from more power and less belt slip, it will also eliminate the problem where the belt keeps flipping up and hitting the bottom of the upper radiator hose... Check the bottom of your hose, you probably have a cut in it and don't know it... yet...
Old 02-08-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Sounds like a good upgrade lol. appreciate it. I'll check it out.