The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-07-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Bent FloFit drivers seat? - 1988 Saleen

Has anyone else had this issue? My drivers seat is bent just a little, so the back is angled and not straight. This makes it very uncomfortable to drive. My back starts to hurt after about 10 mins of driving. You can really see when looking from the top down. Has anyone else ever seen this? Anyone know how to fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-07-2017

So apparently I am having an account issue and cannot post any pictures or even edit my last post (or at least I couldn't figure out how). I will post a picture of the seat once I can post pictures again. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2017
Administrator

Thread of interest:

Flofit seats leaning
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=2571
Old 01-09-2017

My 88 convertible has a similar issue as well. As far as I can tell the issue is in the seat sliders. First off the seat kind of rocks a bit. It seems that the channel that the slider rides in has spread a bit over time causing there to be play and therefore causing the seat to rock and lean. The other issue is that the sliders are of the single lock variety meaning that there is a position lock mechanism on only one of the rails (the outboard side). With this arrangement there is nothing to stop the rail on the other side from moving further back than the lock side and over time the mechanism gets out of square causing the seats to "lean" towards the inside of the car. I say "lean" because they actually aren't leaning they're twisting. I haven't addressed this as of yet since it really isn't terrible in my car, but I have considered pulling the seat and figuring out how to at least put something in place to keep that slider from going past the rearmost adjustment on the lock side since I sit with the seat all the way back. Possibly just a bump welded into the track.

One more thing. Check the bolts on the outboard side of the upper seats (under the plastic cover with 2 screws. The bolts were loose on both of my seats which caused them to partially reclined even in the most upright position.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Tommy
Old 01-09-2017

I absolutely cannot get pics uploaded... says to please wait and then goes to a blank screen and nothing happens. So I guess no pics. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 01-09-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybrdcowboy View Post
I absolutely cannot get pics uploaded... says to please wait and then goes to a blank screen and nothing happens. So I guess no pics. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Sounds like the file size of these images may be too large.
Old 01-09-2017

Trying again for pics...

Looks like it's working! Resized the pics... Thanks for the suggestion!
Attached Thumbnails
driverseat_bent1.jpg  

driverseat_bent2.jpg  

Old 01-15-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Looks like the seatback frame itself may be tweaked. It has the aftermarket type sliders. They're beefy compared to the Ford-built sliders.
Old 01-15-2017

You have what I call the fox body lean. I notice it usually comes from stick shift cars. I think guys get carried away rippin' back on the shifter when getting on the car hard and they push back into the seat bending the frame like yours. I have a Piaf of factory gt halo headrest seats that the drivers seat is even worse than yours.
Tan interior
Old 01-20-2017

Anyone have any disassembly instructions? Took a quick look at it and I didn't see anything obvious to get to the frame... thanks.
Old 01-20-2017

To get to the frame you'll have to take the upholstery and foam off.
Tan interior
Old 01-20-2017

If you have the original seat upholstery in the seat 'centers' I'd highly consider having a pro do the fix. I've removed the covers before to clean them, but was fairly stressed about ruining the impossible to find material.

When you sit in them while they're mounted in the car, can you hear any particular area where there is obviously a break in the metal frame area? Sometimes you can hear the metal pieces grinding on each other when they're flexed.

If you can't hear any areas where there is obvious breakage, you may be able to tweak the seat back into its original shape with some force.

Sometimes, most times, the floor cracks where the seats mount to the floorboard, and this is the cause for the seat frames to distort. If they don't sit flat on the floorboards, they'll twist in no time. This is the cause of seat lean in foxbodies. Police package cars had floor reinforcement to prevent this type of failure.
Old 02-18-2017

This was the first thing I did to my Saleen when I got it home a couple months ago. The welds on these seat frames are poor and give out. I had to snip all the metal rings holding the upholstery together. Remove the cover, weld the frame back up, and reassemble. I'm not sure what a shop would charge but I would consider having this done professionally. Mine is back together and looks great but it took me 2 days and a major PITA.
Old 02-26-2017

I wish I had taken more pics but I found this one I did take. The area circled is just some tack welds and they broke then the frame bends. You have to bend the frame back into shape and the. Weld up the area again.
Attached Thumbnails
50474014956__0B53E764-9AEB-44E0-81E8-0530AFB5C06E.JPG