The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 01-31-2009
SOEC Member

Default cleaning rims

What is everyone usinging to clean their rims? At first I was using the armorall wheel cleaner and now have swapped to the eagle one wheel cleaner. These are the chrome alloy rims. I have had them for a year now and they have brown spots on them in places. It looks as if it is brake dust that will not come off. It will not come off no matter how much or how long I let the wheel cleaner sit but when I just wet it and rub it like crazy with the back of my fingernail or finger it will eventually come up. Does anyone know an easier way to get it off. There is no way I will get all the spots out with just by rubbing it hard. Would using straigt acid on these rims be a bad idea? I have heard of people using it on striaght chrome rims but what about chrome alloy? I know that chrome rims will pit but I have not actually ever seen it. Does this sound like pitting? I will post some pics if i need to
Old 02-01-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I use the Zaino All In One polish cleaner on the face and inside of all of my chrome wheels and it works great. Plus it helps keep the brake dust and dirt from sticking to the wheels. About a year ago, I e-mailed Zaino asking them about using their products on chrome wheels and Mr. Zaino responding saying any of their polishes would work well. My S331 is a daily driver with almost 18k but the wheels still look great!
89-100SSC
Old 02-01-2009
Administrator

Saleen actually advises against the use of wheel cleaners or polishes.

The chrome, like many modern chromes, is a "soft" chrome, so be careful what you use to clean or polish. You can scratch or even wear through the finish with a coarse terry towel, so be sure to use only clean, plush microfiber.

You should avoid regular use of a spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaners, but one for "all wheels" such as the Eagle One might be fine once in a while. Rinse thoroughly with a sudsy solution if you do.

A pro wheel cleaning acid -- even for chrome -- may be too strong, and may discolor the center cap and other nearby finishes such as brakes.

Ideally you would wash them often enough that a car wash and a soft wash mitt will do the job.

You also want to avoid abrasives if at all possible, but try a mild chrome polish like Mothers if you do need to clean and brighten.

You can also clay your wheels to safely remove surface contaminants, but use a clay bar dedicated for the wheels (in other words, don't use it on your paint).

Whatever you use to get them looking good, you might try a light coat of Mothers Chrome Polish (it's mild enough to use on glass) once they are clean, as it will also offer polymer protection to repel dirt and dust.

Follow each wash with a spray wax like FX Spray Wax as an easy way to add extra protection.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 02-01-2009

first time I am hearing the info about the chrome rims...good info.

But....we cant use any special wheel cleaners? Just clean our wheels almost every other day? Dang, that sucks.

I have used wheel cleaners mixed with water and a hard bristle tooth brush and it has worked well. I will try a claybar to see if that works now.
Old 02-01-2009

Default salt

I don't even dare to drive with the chrome wheels at the moment, trucks are spraying salt every day now
after 80 mls I had to do them very thoroughly, so now i just wait for my winter tires to come in next week and mount these on std 20'ford wheels for the winter.
BTW same goes for the exhaust exits...they are even worse.
as it looks now i will be using at least one set of new exits a year to keep it good looking.

Hennie
Old 02-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
I don't even dare to drive with the chrome wheels at the moment, trucks are spraying salt every day now
after 80 mls I had to do them very thoroughly, so now i just wait for my winter tires to come in next week and mount these on std 20'ford wheels for the winter.
BTW same goes for the exhaust exits...they are even worse.
as it looks now i will be using at least one set of new exits a year to keep it good looking.

Hennie

The exhaust tips are stainless vs. chrome. You can polish the tips without damage
06 Triple Black SC Speedster #1322
Old 02-02-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Wash them often and throughly, Mothers chrome polish and power ball do a good job just don't over do it.
Old 02-02-2009
Suspended Account

I have the same prob with the brown spots. I used blue magic. It comes in a little container, kindof a paste (not the spray on stuff) It wiped the spots right off.
Old 02-02-2009
Suspended Account

YUP! kleanig these wheels can be a project. i use that ble chrome polish with soft terry cloaths. but on mine ive noticed "PITTING" on the inside of the wheels. to the point im thinking of scuffing an painting them black. right now i have a thick coat of polish on them, for the winter storage. lets see what they look like when the weather bracks. as for the tips, im taking them out an buffing them up an putting a polyurethane clear on them. (automotive grade) ive done aluminium pieces for people, an they hold up, an look factory. (have pic's of the last pices i did BUT the pic's dont do any justice!)