The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 03-03-2009

Default gears????

has anyone chanhed their gearing and if so what did you go with? Most all of my driving is commuting highway or road trips, I dont drive the truck arouond town very much. I was considering changing the gears to see if I could squeeze a little better mileage out of the thing but mainly to change the RPM range at highway speed so I can reduce the DREADED DRONE some. If I could change the gears to get the rpm's out of the 1800/2000 range at 80mph it would greatly improve my enjoyment of the truck. Also, Most of my "road trips" are pulling a trailer and motorcycle across the south east to races....would it be a good idea to change to a higher gear when Im doing that much interstate towing?
Old 03-03-2009
SOEC Member

We ran 4.56 gears in our S331 for 2 years, put 65 K miles on the truck and id have to say it was the best choice for gear ratio we could have gone with. Towing, racing, and street use it was incredible difference. On the highway we sacrificed very little fuel economy and some cruising speed, but i regularly saw 15-16 mpg on the highway with our upgrade kit. The cruising RPM at 80 mph was around 2600 which is still very low!

JimIII
Old 03-03-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

what is the stock ratio, 3.73?

Hennie
Old 03-03-2009

Most of the S331 owners I have spoken with have gone with a 4.56 gear and absolutely loved it. Confirming what Jim has mentioned, I believed they all said they lost little to no mileage on the highway. Most have said they picked up a few MPGs in town. It takes a LOT to get these 23" wheels to move. Add them to a 5500+ pound truck....im surprise it gets out of its own way with stock 3.73 gears!

Whatever you do, do NOT go with a higher gear. I cannot imagine what kind of performance (and mileage) sacrafice one would get from a 3.55 or higher gear ratio!

I plan on going with a 4.56 gear very soon. I am hoping to get some for my bday next week. I found a vendor that had a few FMS gears in the 4.56 ratio in stock. Motive gear was the cheapest I could find. Yukon and Precision gear were nearly double the price of everyone else. Every Ford Dealership has told me that FMS is no longer making a 4.56 gear for the 9.75" rear in our trucks....I dont know if that is true or not though.
Old 03-03-2009

Shane, what kind of prices are you seeing for the gears just so I know what to expect IF I decide to do it? Im not commited to doing it yet but seriously thinking about it and probably for the wrong reason. I really wasnt thinking about doing it for the performance, I was aiming to redice the drone some and I was wondering if changing the gears would put me in a different rpm range at highway speed and maybe rid myself of having to deal with that at cruising speed. I can deal with it up through the gears or just the occasional jaunt through town....but for an hour commute to work and having to listen to it the whole way.....thats something I could do w/o.
Old 03-03-2009

According to another S331 owner, thats why he put gears in and he said it really made the drone go away.

I have seen gears for $200 up to $489. Thats just for the ring and pinion kit. You may need an install kit....$100. Labor to have these installed is $200-$400.

My GF told me right after I posted my last post that she had bought me gears and they will be here next week.
Old 03-03-2009

yeah, I checked around a little today and most I found were $200. I think I can get away w/o the install kit if I do it now due to the extremely low mileage on mine. Wishing now I had done it before I got my kit from mike...now I'll have to get a new program from him if I change em out and i assume the speedo will have to be corrected. decisions, decisions...but if it does make the drone go away like you said Im sold on it. Your Gf sounds like a good one like mine LOL.....although mine already invests alot into the race bike (b/c she likes to ride too) Not so sure I can sale her on buying truck stuff hahaha let me know when you get your gears put in, Im curious to see what yuo think of them.
Old 03-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen190 View Post
yeah, I checked around a little today and most I found were $200. I think I can get away w/o the install kit if I do it now due to the extremely low mileage on mine. Wishing now I had done it before I got my kit from mike...now I'll have to get a new program from him if I change em out and i assume the speedo will have to be corrected. decisions, decisions...but if it does make the drone go away like you said Im sold on it. Your Gf sounds like a good one like mine LOL.....although mine already invests alot into the race bike (b/c she likes to ride too) Not so sure I can sale her on buying truck stuff hahaha let me know when you get your gears put in, Im curious to see what yuo think of them.
With the Troyer Tune, you can change your gear ratio when you load the tune. Nothing else would need to be changed. When you go to load your tune, it will say "adjust/change additional parameters." When you choose yes, thats when you can change your gear ratio.

My JDM tune had this locked out.....but I am sure it can be unlocked easily by jim.
Old 03-03-2009

your kidding?! well thats pretty simple then. I figured there would have to be something changed in the tune to accomodate the shift points and rpms. good deal, give me a cal land let me know what you think of it after the install. And I thought you had the troyer kit??
Old 03-03-2009

I had a JDM tune in my truck when it was stock.

I have the complete Troyer Kit now....still waiting on my 90mm pulley though.