The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 12-09-2008
Suspended Account

Default Nytrogin

? anybody out there, tryed NYTROGIN in their tires? i have just wanted to see if its just me.
Old 12-09-2008
Suspended Account

Do you mean nitrogen?
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

yes thats the one!
Old 12-10-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I have it in all my vehicles tires. In the Mustang (Saleen PJ), Lexus (GS350awd) and Saab (95 Aero) it keeps the TPS from giving low pressure warnings that are related to temperature not loss of air.
I also have us it in both Thunderbirds but they do not have TPS.
Super Shaker PJ #39 (RW 483HP / 464TQ)
'05 Thunderbird - Inca Gold 1 of 82
'03 Thunderbird - Torch Red
'13 BOSS 302 - School Bus Yellow
with Trackey Option & Seat Delete
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

did you also notice a differance in the handling, i did better in turns. (i like to play on the winding back-roads) an seemed smoother on the hwy. BUT i still noticed you get the dreded flat apot from storing.
Old 12-10-2008

I'm not sure that performance is improved, but I did it because I was tired of an idiot light coming on to say I had low tire pressure. Since putting in nitrogen I have no issues. At this time of the year here in N.E. you can experience 20 degree temperature swings from morning to night.
Old 12-10-2008
Administrator

Nitrogen is more stable across temperature changes. This also means if you neglect to check your tires regularly, you'll likely be better off since the pressure should remain fairly constant.

It can be more expensive, so many places offer the nitrogen as an option, though sometimes that's just another way for them to make a little extra money since I imagine the markup could vary quite a bit.

At some places, even Costco, that's all they use and it's built in to the price of the tire.

Proponents also say it reduces tire degradation.

FYI, when you see a green tire valve cap, that indicates it's filled with nitrogen.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

JimD thats what i was told . about using NITROGIN. i had it done at my 500mile check-up.havent had any problems except ya still get the flat spots from sitting. Bruce,where in Rhode Island? an where do you get your saleen serviced? because i know there arnt anymore. i bought my first S331 from New Port Ford (they closed!) then i bought my second S331SC (and they closed!) i was bringing it to TASCA. but the last time i was there, (well lets not got there) besides having to wipe the jruel off the truck when i leave. an then im not sure theyre using the right oil (cought them once, the mec. WAS SUPPOSED to take it out. IDTS!). thanks, got an E/M if ya want it.
Old 12-10-2008

I live in Tiverton. The cars are in storage in Wesport, MA. I get my PJ and Thunderbirds serviced at the Tasca Performance Center in Cranston, RI.
Old 12-10-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

From what I have read nitrogen is much denser and therefore does not bleed off through the tire as air can, hence you will not find your tires loosing air like they normally do. This should lead to longer tire life and better handling ONLY in that you wont be running under pressure.
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

Sounds like a good deal if only I could get it done around here. I dont see how it increases mpg unless it is accomplished by a more constant pressure.
  • Maintain proper inflation pressure longer:
    Tires inflated with compressed air lose 2 psi/month. It takes up to 6 months or more for the same loss with nitrogen filled tires.
  • Improve fuel efficiency:
    Properly inflated tires provide a 3.3% increase in miles/gallon
  • Longer tire life:
    By maintaining proper inflation pressure and minimizing tire aging, tire life improves by up to 25%
  • Eliminate chemical aging of the tire:
    As oxygen and water vapor permeate through the side wall, the rubber degrades, causing the tire to deteriorate. Nitrogen is inert, halts the chemical aging of the tire, and prolongs tire quality
  • Nitrogen is very dry (-50°F dewpoint):
    Nitrogen eliminates condensation and rim corrosion, and will allow tires to run cooler and provide a safer ride
  • Maximize safety:
    Cooler rolling temperatures minimize autoignition and catastrophic blowouts, providing a safer ride.
  • Increase retreadability:
    As nitrogen minimizes the oxidation of the rubber, the tire retains its original quality longer, providing more retreads/casing
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

Bruce, i live in westport an my mom lives in tiverton an the rest of my family is from Little Compton! i think i saw you drive by my house this past summer. i got a lil" shop at my house. do mostly restoration work. small world
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

KS, i got my SALEEN manu. out 2day. but first the ford manu. doest say anything about how to change the keyless entry. but if you dont have the 5 digets you cant do nothing anyway. BUT! the SALEEN manu. (P/N 08-8001-C14319B)but i think we had a convers. on things that come with the truck an things that dont,ANYWAY, on page 19,it explains that the spare wont fit the front, an you cant rotate blabla blabla, but i will quote the bookin case of flat USE THE AIR COMPRESSOR THAT IS SUPPLIED WITH THE VEHICLE. an i think there was someone eles out there that knew nothing about a compressor. it grey & orange will get pt # off it for any interested.
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

Gomez
Im not too worried about the key code on the door right now. I put a viper alarm on the truck so even if I know the code it would set the alarm off. I have called the dealer I bought the truck from and trying to get the original owners name. I just hope I never have a flat, cant afford to put tires on it.

Does your truck have an aftermarket tune? I remember saying you had yours over a 100mph. These trucks are supp to be governed to not exceed 100. I have had mine to 120. I am trying to fig out if I have a tune on mine before I send my pcm to get flashed by saleen and they tell me my warranty is void.
Old 12-10-2008
Suspended Account

KS ok! not a problem. but that compressor comes with fix-a-flat containerits part of the compressor assembly. didnt know what it was till i was reading the book.an found it under the back seat in bubble wrap. if ya want i can get the pt. # off it?
Old 01-10-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

I had 3 TPS sensors go bad on me and the dealer said "lets try Nitrogen" hadn't had a problem since.