The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-28-2021
Administrator

Announcement Premium GT / IUP interior package door panels

In late 2019 my drivers side interior door panel insert started to unglue itself from the underlying foam padding. Or, the foam began to disintegrate. This is a common problem for aging S197 Ford Mustangs.

I prefer an OEM / stock look, so I kicked around my various options over the past year and a half.

With research, a company was located that had made a "reproduction" material that closely matched the vinyl and embossed pattern Ford used for these inserts. This material was released a few years ago in colors: Red, Charcoal, Sand and Grey.

As of winter 2021 only the Charcoal color is stocked. With the knowledge of other colors going obsolete I ordered a small roll of the charcoal (enough for 2-3 cars) and tucked this away for future use.

When I was seeking possible fixes for these panels. I noticed a few internet forum threads with people discussing how they added color accents to their 2005-09 door panels by installing vinyl welting / piping to the door panels.

This interested me since this was a non-permanent modification, no glue or adhesive was necessary. The welting is a "friction fit" between the uncovered plastic door panel and the OEM vinyl insert.

I am delaying the possibly of tearing my door panels apart to fix the failing inserts (my passenger side door panel is still a-ok and not sagging) and this idea of welting seemed like it was worth the try. A stop-gap solution.

Here's the results with the welting installed. The driver's side material has a kink near the window switches since the material has stretched over the past year or so.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06063-b.jpg  

DSC06064-b.jpg  

DSC06062-b.jpg  

Old 08-28-2021
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

This actually looks good and could be a valid option.

While my doors are still good, I would be interested in a link to the piping for future reference.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2021
Administrator

I ordered the 15 feet for $19.00 USD shipped option. I cut the 15ft of welting in half. Each door had maybe 1 foot of scrap material.

http://www.mrmikes.com/trimbright.htm
Old 08-28-2021
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I ordered the 15 feet for $19.00 USD shipped option. I cut the 15ft of welting in half. Each door had maybe 1 foot of scrap material.

http://www.mrmikes.com/trimbright.htm
Worth saving this thread.

Thanks