The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2010
siggy_freud siggy_freud is offline
Suspended Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 217
Default Baseline Dyno Run

Here is a video of my baseline dyno run. Other than the extreme cooling upgrade, my car is completely stock.

Anyone else have some stock numbers to compare to? I'm happy with the numbers and look forward to seeing them grow as the modding begins.

My father, who drives a 335i BMW dyno'd at just 10hp under what I did. His automatic is very temperamental on the dyno, as it wont completely hold a gear. Both the tech and us agreed that if he had been able to peg the throttle from the get go, our torque numbers would have been pretty much even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqgt9ejbHzo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2010
06281E 06281E is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,144
Default

Nice! Your pops' 335 made 350whp, what tune is he running on it? There is a special way to dyno those auto 335's, just look it up on Google or e90post... My 335 made 417whp when i was done modding it, those things are making up to 450whp now with bolt ons, meth, and a tune. I was waiting for upgraded turbos on mine but they never came out so i got rid of the car and picked up the 281E.. Nice cars though!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2010
AMS MIKE's Avatar
AMS MIKE AMS MIKE is offline
SOEC Member (Inactive)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy_freud View Post
My father, who drives a 335i BMW dyno'd at just 10hp under what I did. His automatic is very temperamental on the dyno, as it wont completely hold a gear. Both the tech and us agreed that if he had been able to peg the throttle from the get go, our torque numbers would have been pretty much even.
In order to dyno an automatic, you must know what MPH each gear before shifting and with the 335i, use gate shifting in order to make it stay and not upshift. You can floor the pedal ONCE above a certain MPH so it does not shift. Just dont go that extra 1/4", that is the kickdown pedal on BMW's. You hit that, it dowshifts! A properly trained dyno operator should know this, its common sense.

the BMW 335i is one of the EASIEST auto's to dyno.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2010
siggy_freud siggy_freud is offline
Suspended Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 217
Default

The meth and other goodies are ready to be installed on the 335. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

He's running a procede tune by vishnu.

Live and learn. Common sense is relative. Be polite.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2010
RKN's Avatar
RKN RKN is offline
SOEC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 131
Default

Siggy: I see that your numbers are stated - "uncorrected with a smoothing factor 5". Below are my dyno results done by AMS Mike at the time my E was built. Mike states that the my correction should be - "SAE and smoothing factor of 0". This does lower the power levels. I am showing both as a comparison.

Uncorrected - Smoothing factor 5
Max Power 477
Max Torque 464

SAE - Smoothing factor 0
Max Power 468
Max Torque 458

BTW Nice car ...are you still contemplating the 475 upgrade??

Rick
__________________

2007 Extreme 0042
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2010
AMS MIKE's Avatar
AMS MIKE AMS MIKE is offline
SOEC Member (Inactive)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy_freud View Post
The meth and other goodies are ready to be installed on the 335. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

He's running a procede tune by vishnu.

Live and learn. Common sense is relative. Be polite.
it was not towards you at all, rather the dyno operator. There are SO MANY people out there with a Dyno's and dont know how to operate the car properly on it and in return, the customer gets the short end of the stick. Thats all i'm saying.

Vishnu is good stuff, Shiv (owner) is an awesome guy!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2010
AMS MIKE's Avatar
AMS MIKE AMS MIKE is offline
SOEC Member (Inactive)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
Siggy: I see that your numbers are stated - "uncorrected with a smoothing factor 5". Below are my dyno results done by AMS Mike at the time my E was built. Mike states that the my correction should be - "SAE and smoothing factor of 0". This does lower the power levels. I am showing both as a comparison.

Uncorrected - Smoothing factor 5
Max Power 477
Max Torque 464

SAE - Smoothing factor 0
Max Power 468
Max Torque 458

BTW Nice car ...are you still contemplating the 475 upgrade??

Rick
You are right Rick, I always use SAE and correction factor 0 or 1. However others use different Correction Factors and it creates false readings when comparing run to run.

So whether someone wants uncorrected smoothing 5 or SAE 0, just compare that number to someone elses with the same factor or else you get apples to oranges.

JDM JIM likes to use STD, so just know when you compare to his runs, you use the same factoring.

hope that makes sense!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2010
siggy_freud siggy_freud is offline
Suspended Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 217
Default

Another one of the guys there did explain that using a SAE correction factor generally lowers the output scores by 5-10 points, but that the main concern is always comparing graphs using the same methods of data output, whatever they may be. From my experience the crew at this shop has been good (http://blog.tunedbypsi.com/), and its a top notch place in terms of money invested and tools available. I just think that a 5:30pm run on a friday got the best of all of us. Even afterwards my dad was kickin himself for not remembering the trouble the first dyno-shop had in getting a good run (which I admit that first place was not the greatest). We hadn't factored in the time of removing the panels under the hood to access the computer wiring to get a good timing reference wire.

Yes, the 475hp upgrade will happen. One of my main reasonings outside of power increase is to be rid of what I believe to be some loud injector tick. The noise doesn't appear to be coming from the valve covers at all, and is timed with the injectors. I suppose it could be some piston slap but I haven't found a good location to listen for that. I just need to call JDM and see what their options are compared to Speedlabs and Brenspeed. I want a handheld tuner that this shop can upload their maps onto. I think they mentioned they are currently using a Diablosport tuner, and while they were looking at a different setup, they haven't had enough interest yet to warrant the investment and training into the new software. I'm sure JDM's tune is great, but every car is different, and furthermore I'd eventually like to run the Super shaker setup, and would like to dyno-tune it there.

In your opinions, do those numbers fall in line with what you'd expect a stock S/C Saleen of that year to generate?

Last edited by siggy_freud; 02-21-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2010
AMS MIKE's Avatar
AMS MIKE AMS MIKE is offline
SOEC Member (Inactive)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy_freud View Post
Another one of the guys there did explain that using a SAE correction factor generally lowers the output scores by 5-10 points, but that the main concern is always comparing graphs using the same methods of data output, whatever they may be. From my experience the crew at this shop has been good (http://blog.tunedbypsi.com/), and its a top notch place in terms of money invested and tools available. I just think that a 5:30pm run on a friday got the best of all of us. Even afterwards my dad was kickin himself for not remembering the trouble the first dyno-shop had in getting a good run (which I admit that first place was not the greatest). We hadn't factored in the time of removing the panels under the hood to access the computer wiring to get a good timing reference wire.
that definately could have something to do with it

for the 335i lift up the main engine cover on the passenger side corner facing the front of the car and underneath are Orange wires, put the shielded ignition pick up around ONE of those Orange wires

If you need any help on the 335i dyno proccess, just send me a PM.

As for Stock S281 S/C, Anything around 360HP-370HP is about right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Orders placed through these advertiser links help to support SOEC and this website.

Tire Rack Wheel Clearance

When you buy one Valeo® ULTIMATE™ Wiper Blade from Tire Rack, you'll get one free!

Dunlop $50 Rebate


| SOEC.ORG | ABOUT SOEC | MEMBERSHIP | SHOWROOM | LITERATURE | VEHICLE PRODUCTION | THE SALEEN TRADER | SALEEN AUTOMOTIVE | CONTACT SOEC | SOEC @ FACEBOOK |


All Original Content Copyright © 1991-2021 Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club, LLC (SOEC). All Rights Reserved.
SOEC is the official independent, non-profit organization for owners and enthusiasts of vehicles by Steve Saleen and Saleen Automotive, Inc.